GPs cutting back on repeat prescriptions - widespread?

Hi all, i have friends who have mentioned to me that GPs are clamping down on repeat prescriptions. Items are starting to be removed, with the first you are hearing of this, is when you try and get a repeat prescription.

When GPs have been challenged, friends have been told the item can be purchase over the counter. Anyone know any more, and is this practice widespread / government directive to save money?
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all, i have friends who have mentioned to me that GPs are clamping down on repeat prescriptions. Items are starting to be removed, with the first you are hearing of this, is when you try and get a repeat prescription.

When GPs have been challenged, friends have been told the item can be purchase over the counter. Anyone know any more, and is this practice widespread / government directive to save money?

If the item can be purchased over the counter, what's the issue?

Yes, some people who were given free prescriptions are being asked to buy OTC instead. But is it reasonable that the NHS is paying, for example, a few quid for Paracetamol when they're 30p from Tesco?
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    boo_star wrote: »
    If the item can be purchased over the counter, what's the issue?

Yes, some people who were given free prescriptions are being asked to buy OTC instead. But is it reasonable that the NHS is paying, for example, a few quid for Paracetamol when they're 30p from Tesco?

I have know people who have done that.

Don't forget that a lot of people with paracetamol on prescription are using it as their only pain relief and taking the max dosage per day. And are getting 500 at a time. Not the odd box of 16 here and there.

So to do a blanket ban on say paracetamol is going to effect more people that who abuse the system.

Also the strange thing I find is they also seem to limit you to one month supply. Which to me if you have long term health condition e.g Epilepsy, high blood pressure, antidepressants means you have to get a repeat every month so adds to the costs. But again it because of the few who keep getting them and not taking them they have taken this measure.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    calleyw wrote: »
    I have know people who have done that.

Don't forget that a lot of people with paracetamol on prescription are using it as their only pain relief and taking the max dosage per day. And are getting 500 at a time. Not the odd box of 16 here and there.

So to do a blanket ban on say paracetamol is going to effect more people that who abuse the system.

Also the strange thing I find is they also seem to limit you to one month supply. Which to me if you have long term health condition e.g Epilepsy, high blood pressure, antidepressants means you have to get a repeat every month so adds to the costs. But again it because of the few who keep getting them and not taking them they have taken this measure.

Yours

Calley x

I wouldn't consider people who get Paracetamol on the NHS to be abusing the system, funnily enough. But it is clearly unsustainable and although I don't think we're all truly "in it together" we do need to do our bit to cut waste.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Even though i get free prescriptions i have no issue buying items over the counter , my hubby has to take Asprin which ive always bought but his GP has put it on repeat because he doesn't believe he's taking it .

I went to the chemist a few weeks go for an item they wouldn't sell me it and said to go to my GP ! so i went to see her just for her to tell me to buy the treatment over the counter !
  • Massively down here in the South West.

GP's have been asked to stop prescribing medications that can be bought over the counter.

For example most lubricating eyedrops are not now available on prescription.
  • Yes, I've lost my anti-histamines and eye drops for my hay fever as both can be bought OTC. I have a pre-payment prescription, so wasn't paying for them before.

As above, the first I knew was when I requested them as a repeat, and they weren't there when I went to pick them up.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    boo_star wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider people who get Paracetamol on the NHS to be abusing the system, funnily enough. But it is clearly unsustainable and although I don't think we're all truly "in it together" we do need to do our bit to cut waste.

Thats not what I said. I said there are a few who do abuse the system because they get free prescriptions due to tax credits/low income/UC. So get everything they can for free on it. I know as people have told me that they do it to get Gaviscon etc for free.

People get up in arms about paracetamol being on prescription don't understand that its not a pack of 16 thats being prescribed but a box 500 at a time. Which is a amount you can't get OTC. I have no issue with those people still getting it on prescription.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I've long bought my antihistamines myself rather than getting them prescribed, however, say I, or somebody in my situation, decided to save money by not buying enteric coated small dose aspirin? The NHS would end up picking up the much higher bill for either gastric issues again or circulatory issues.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    kirtondm wrote: »

For example most lubricating eyedrops are not now available on prescription.

My eye drops are £12 a bottle. My optometrist said my GP should be prescribing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure