Dogs on planes (in the cabin)

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2019 at 3:45PM
    Westin wrote: »
    Not because of the emergency evacuation but because of a lot of other commercial and non-commercial reasons. Commercially - not viable, Operationally - not viable, for the vast majority of those who fly, not deemed necessary.

Glad the penny finally dropped.

I never did think that it was really feasible, especially for international flights. So there was no 'penny finally dropping' moment, as you put it.

But it can work both operationally and commercially for airlines like Skybus, which do allow any sized dog in the cabin.

https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/skybus/

EDIT: I think that its a real pity that they don't fly to the Isle of Man, if they did, I would probably go back every year.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I never did think that it was really feasible, especially for international flights. So there was no 'penny finally dropping' moment, as you put it.

But it can work both operationally and commercially for airlines like Skybus, which do allow any sized dog in the cabin.

https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/skybus/

EDIT: I think that its a real pity that they don't fly to the Isle of Man, if they did, I would probably go back every year.

You’ll be flying in an 8 or 19-seater plane,

It would be great if the odd (not every) plane could not take the last two rows of seats out, put a partition up with a door (so that non dog lovers did not have to put up with dogs), put shelves in, with dog cages, and charge for dogs. Would any dog owners pay for this? I certainly would.

TBH, if they took the last 2 rows of seats out, there wouldn't be much room left for human passengers. ;)
  • chucknorris
    edited 17 February 2019 at 4:11PM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    TBH, if they took the last 2 rows of seats out, there wouldn't be much room left for human passengers. ;)

They don't need to take any seats out, they already have two fixed dog cages, which face seats where the dog owners are seated. They only charge £40 for the dog cage, so it is extremely good value.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    They don't need to take any seats out, they already have two fixed dog cages, which face seats where the dog owners are seated. They only charge £40 for the dog cage, so it is extremely good value.
    But you weren't (originally) talking about very small planes that already have facilities to transport dogs.

You were talking about taking 2 seats out of standard planes.
  • chucknorris
    But you weren't (originally) talking about very small planes that already have facilities to transport dogs.

You were talking about taking 2 seats out of standard planes.

I know, but you were quoting (and I was responding to that quote from you) from my Skybus post which was about smaller planes, which already have facilities to transport dogs.
  • Jellybro
    Jellybro Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would love to be able to take our dog on a plane... I would only consider a couple of hours flight though.... it’s such a long drawn out journey to get to Spain... and pet cabins on the ferry are near on impossible to book!

I must say it’s almost certainly never going to be a reality.... but we can dream eh chuck Norris!
  • chucknorris
    edited 17 February 2019 at 6:36PM
    Jellybro wrote: »
    I would love to be able to take our dog on a plane... I would only consider a couple of hours flight though.... it’s such a long drawn out journey to get to Spain... and pet cabins on the ferry are near on impossible to book!

I must say it’s almost certainly never going to be a reality.... but we can dream eh chuck Norris!

Yeah, last year we wanted to go to Spain in December/January with the car ferry, and we tried to book a dog cabin a few days after the dates were released, but they had all been snapped up. The lady that I spoke to said to be sure, and have some flexibility on dates, you have to book within 24 hours.

So we had to settle for April, and even then we got the last available dog cabin on the return journey, and we only got an outbound cabin because we sailed on Friday 13th (or at least that's why I think that there were a few cabins available that day).
  • chucknorris
    I think you're trying to convince the wrong people.

You asked this in your first post:

You are quite right, they are not the posters that I was asking the question to. But I'm not trying to convince them, I know that they are just trolls, in a way I feel a bit sorry for them, but at the same time I will stand up to them, rather than let it go.
  • You are quite right, they are not the posters that I was asking the question to. But I'm not trying to convince them, I know that they are just trolls,

Which dictionary defines trolls as people who have a different opinion to you?

An old question but it has to be asked.
    If you don't want other people's opinions but are only interested in hearing from people with the same views and opinions as yourself, why waste time posting on a public forum?
  • chucknorris
    Which dictionary defines trolls as people who have a different opinion to you?

An old question but it has to be asked.
    If you don't want other people's opinions but are only interested in hearing from people with the same views and opinions as yourself, why waste time posting on a public forum?

I asked for opinions from dog owners about holidaying with their dogs, not from people with the same opinion as me, there is a difference (that maybe you have overlooked).

Although I have to add that I did also get some opinions (probably not from dog owners) that succinctly made valid points, that were against my proposal/wishful thinking (for want of a better word/phrase) and they were also appreciated and thanked. Although I don't think that I thanked your post, your post sort of fell into that category, because you raised valid points in a reasonable way.

So I don't consider that I wasted my time.

In the 'savings and investment' forum I often deliberately seek the opinions of people that are polar opposites to me (I tend to think like a bull, but I like to listen to some bears), just to test my logic before investing. I remember when I invested all of my SIPP and ISA (approx £500k) in a single company, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable, because single company shares are much more volatile than funds. I did seek the opinions of those who think differently to me, and in the end I switched back into an ETF tracker within a year of my original switch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure