confused by prices and offers

Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums .

I recently purchased some new glasses from Vision Express , high street Optician chain .The current price on their website for the glasses I purchased is £402. comprising 232.50 for lenses ( with options) + 129 frame +39 insurance

I presented a friends and family 50% coupon and they charged me £336 for a saving of £66 or 16%.

The store insist that the charge is correct over the telephone.
From the receipt it looks like they charged me 2 x for the lenses 2x 232.50 ( 465 ) + 129 frame +39 insurance then made some deductions .

When i called the store back they insist the bill is correct.

So i suppose that my question is this.
Is it OK for them to give a voucher that says 50% off but then only give me 16% off compared to the currently advertised price on their website.

The receipt has lots of charged fees on it and deductions of charged fees on it as well but it makes no sense at all.

Interestingly if i had presented a friends and family discount 25% coupon and applied the method the store used to calculate my bill it would have worked out more than the current advertised price on their website.i.e the F&F discount 25% would make the charge higher than the one on their website that is for all customers .

It looks like they gave me 50% off the frame and nothing else.

Thank you for reading.:j

Comments

• What did the voucher say exactly?

It's ok if they've given you the discount they said they would.
  • RaulEndymion
    RaulEndymion Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 14 February 2019 at 4:17PM
    Hi ZX81

Thank you for replying.

The voucher said 50% off .

Vision express give vouchers to their staff for friends and family .some are 50% ,25% and one 100% per year I think

@@ edit . To be more precise it said One free eye test and 50% off
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,857
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    is there small print restricting it to frames only
  • Just go in to the store, and have a friendly chat explain8 that you do not understand the payment, asking them to explain exactly how the total was worked out. It should take five minutes, and either they apologise and refund some money, or you say “oops silly me” and smile. I sometimes find it hard to work out payments.

Our local ice rink is far worse. I was sure they took a £6 payment for a one year ice card last summer. But I couldn’t find a receipt, and they said it had expired. So I bought a new one two weeks ago. Last Tuesday Dan asked to see my card, and their system said it had expired two years ago. Fortunately he recalled my payment two weeks ago. Maybe you too had a problem with dicky software.
  • Hi again,

I thought that I would update on the situation.

I spoke to the store and they insist the bill was correct.

So I made an email complaint via vision express website customer care page.I also asked them to clarify how the friends and family scheme works and /or what its purpose is for.They completely ignored this question.

I received a reply email today from customer care agent who says that he called the store and the store says the price is correct so it must be correct and he hopes this has resolved the problem.
    He then goes on to say ( incorrectly) that vision express price glasses was per lens and that is why the bill had the lenses charged twice !!

I am flabbergasted at such a nonsense reply.The pricing is very clearly shown on their website per pair of glasses .The wording specifically says lenses plural . I have been buying glasses for 30 years from various optical retailers and never has anyone ever said the price is per lens .Moreover if they really were charging £700 for a pair of lenses the would have no customers and go bust.Absolutely incredulous at customer services reply .

So the store overcharged me and I raise it with Vision Express customer care and all they do is ask the store if they charged me correctly. Great investigation not.

So I have replied asking for my email to be forwarded to a senior manager.
    Perhaps some of you could go have a look at vision Express website lenses prices and see if you think they are for a pair or per lens. I am literally dumbfounded by customer cares` claim .

Thank you
  • £232 for single vision lenses with high grade coatings is about right around here. What kind of lenses did you buy?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just go in to the store, and have a friendly chat explain8 that you do not understand the payment, asking them to explain exactly how the total was worked out. It should take five minutes, and either they apologise and refund some money, or you say “oops silly me” and smile. I sometimes find it hard to work out payments.

Perhaps following this advice might have been helpful, that way you could have got them to explain any points in more detail. Certainly, whilst from your description, each lens is listed separately on the invoice, (for stock-keeping/tax purposes?), you only paid once for the pair.

I suspect the F&F voucher only applied to part of the transaction, having never seen one, I can't say for certain.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,857
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you asked whoever gave you the voucher how it works? They must work for Vision Express to have the voucher so should be able to explain it you.

Can you provide a link to the page that quotes the prices for lenses?

the only page I can states lens not lenses e,g Varifocal lens options
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £66 seems to equate approximately to the cost of the frame, perhaps with basic lenses?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure