Ugent Advice Needed Please

Options

Comments

• atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FKingston wrote: »
    If there is an agreement refer to that. But like the others have said you may be lucky not to be charged for the rest of the season.

Why would I pay the last installement when they club have broken the contract not me and want the kids to leave now. So why would I pay for only half the season (they can go whistle for it).

If I paid the full amount I would expect my kids to be there till the end of the season getting the coaching etc.. even if not playing in matches because that is what I would have paid for.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It sounds like you are being perfectly reasonable.

Surely it is the coach's job to look after the kids (i.e. to stop bullying) and to make sure everyone gets a fair amount of playtime !

These are perfectly reasonable things to complain about. Especially as we are talking about younger kids, not even teenagers yet.

I don't think you can force the club to give your money back though unfortunately.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    to make sure everyone gets a fair amount of playtime !

Nope. Best team has to start, otherwise club loses games and players move to other clubs...

Coaching fees pay for training, not play time.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nope. Best team has to start, otherwise club loses games and players move to other clubs...

HBS x

I never have got on well with competitive team sports and this seems a) silly, b) sad for getting kids (and adults) to be active and c) completely accurate.

I think alarm bells would have started ringing for me about the club if the trials were to choose kids for membership based on ability.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 January 2019 at 8:47AM
    Options

HBS x
    What nonsense, at at that age all players should have equal time, see rule 3 of the FA development guide

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/northamptonshirefa/files/youth/u11-and-u12-youth-development-review-booklet.ashx

"All team members should receive equal
    playing time where possible, with a best
    practice recommendation of at least 50% per
    player for each game."

I think you would be better off going to another club that respects the children and treats them fairly.
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 24 January 2019 at 1:30PM
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I never have got on well with competitive team sports and this seems a) silly, b) sad for getting kids (and adults) to be active and c) completely accurate.

I think alarm bells would have started ringing for me about the club if the trials were to choose kids for membership based on ability.

I think a lot of it's about finding something you click with - I never clicked with football, hockey, or athletics, but loved rugby, dance, and badminton.

All kids should be able to have a membership and train, for sure. At the moment I'm doing a fun rugby skills course - I'm fairly certain I'd not make a touch team at the moment in trials but given time I probably would.

EDIT: This is also why I'm a HUGE advocate of recreational sports classes :)
    mksysb wrote: »
    What nonsense, at at that age all players should have equal time, see rule 3 of the FA development guide

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/northamptonshirefa/files/youth/u11-and-u12-youth-development-review-booklet.ashx

player for each game."

I think you would be better off going to another club that respects the children and treats them fairly.

That's an interesting read, thanks for the sport specifications :)

I don't coach football, but I do coach sport - I can get behind that with regard to within-club games or friendlies as yes, all kids should get their teeth into game situations, but regarding league-type games it feels a bit off that the kids who want to be there and work hard for their place get the same "reward" as those who can't be bothered to train and practice outside of club sessions...

Example - I used to do recreational and competitive dance (we didn't do exams). Everyone got to be in the group dances for our annual show.

When you attained a certain skillset (and it was doable for anyone with a bit of work - from memory, it was a full turn on one foot, splits on both sides, solid arabesque balance, and bridge) you started competing. It was useless going into a competitive scenario without those skills.

Hope that makes sense for where my brain's coming from - I wonder if the type of sports and activities I've been involved in have just had waaaay different regulations to footie.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't coach football, but I do coach sport - I can get behind that with regard to within-club games or friendlies as yes, all kids should get their teeth into game situations, but regarding league-type games it feels a bit off that the kids who want to be there and work hard for their place get the same "reward" as those who can't be bothered to train and practice outside of club sessions...

Yes, but then you have the kids who really want to be there and work hard but just don't get quite as good results - or are a bit younger. I saw somewhere stats about successful sportsmen and women, and how many had birthdays that put them in the older half of their cohort year. The better (on average slightly older) kids were rewarded with more opportunities and training when they were young so when they were older and the age gap less important for coordination etc they were still better and rewarded with more opportunities... Here is one report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/18891749

I do think clubs need to be absolutely upfront with parents and kids about what attitude they take and what playing experience they can expect. Is being on the team a right or to be competed for? How many club members are there compared to team spots?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Have you considered the fact that your child is just not the best of players and the coach is doing the right thing and picking the best. Football teams are picked on skills not because someone has not had a turn . That's an assumption, It's not at all uncommon for clubs to be run by folk who give family members or mates kids preferential treatment. Players develop at different ages - any club going on the 'who's best right now' either lacks expertise in this or has no real care for developing players and kids would be better elsewhere

I think the club have been more than reasonable and it's their choice if they wish to remove them. It is their prerogative to remove participants from their club, how reasonable or otherwise they've been is totally open to interpretation/imagination. It would seem they've no interest in dealing with bullying - there are a lot of initiatives around to assist clubs with this and to ensure child safety etc - clubs should be adhering to that, not seeking to wipe their hands of a problem.

It's £140 a year with an option to pay by installment , you still owe one installment. Again - debatable. Is it paid in advance? Usually they are... going forward the kids aren't going to be involved there.

I'd expect them to chase it up if you refuse to pay
    I wouldn't, they have stated they want the children removed from the club. I expect they'd be more interested in getting their kit back
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mksysb wrote: »

player for each game."

There's a time for learning about competition for places, but at these ages is not that time. The above post is linked to the professionals in charge of improving the game - they're the professionals for a reason and a lot of research goes into these recommendations.

Children develop physically at different rates, height and weight make a huge difference at those young ages. Kids who look very promising at a young age can plateau at below average in the long run, and kids who look completely uncoordinated can turn out to be extremely good athletes (isn't Harry Kane an example of this - there was a bit on him during the world cup about him being put in goals because he was considered not good enough to play outfield at a young age).

If people want to coach a youth team - then coach! But look into how to do it properly and effectively for all involved, not just for the kids but for you too (it's far more rewarding seeing more kids thrive than just a small few). If you just want to see children pitted against one another competitively go watch hunger games or that Japanese chain of films
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the boys were good players but the club kicked them out,then the club would be biting their nose off to spite their face for example.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure