Why don't companies show salaries when posting jobs?

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with the above. Whatever the reason it's certainly a bad sign and means you'll likely lose out in one way or another. I personally wouldn't interview if I didn't have at least a basic idea of what the salary range was.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Andy_L wrote: »
    as above and also because they don't know who is going to be applying and/or exactly who they want. Could be a superstar with loads of experience or could be a newbie

That's no reason not to advertise the salary band for the role. A newbie should expect to be at the bottom of the band, and a superstar should hope not to be :-)
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My bet is on existing staff being paid less.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    stator wrote: »
    My bet is on existing staff being paid less.

Even this is a bad sign though. It demonstrates that they're likely tight on giving pay rises and the likelihood of you getting more in the future, given that you're clearly paid more than your colleagues is zero.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,786 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    That's no reason not to advertise the salary band for the role. A newbie should expect to be at the bottom of the band, and a superstar should hope not to be :-)

lots of companies don't have pay bands
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    My personal bugbear is "competitive salary", which I'm certain translates to "we're paying the minimum market rate, which is the same as many of our competitors pay - so that makes it competitive". Meh!

If a salary is halfway decent the company will advertise it to draw people in.

Even worse than "competitive salary" is when they ask you to state your salary expectations in your application.
  • I don't apply for those jobs.

It's buying a washing machine from Currys that doesn't a price on it and finding out that the next person paid £100 less for it.

We were explicitly told not to talk about salaries at my last place of work and I resigned once I found out what everyone was on.

Legislation needs to be introduced where companies should be made to declare salaries.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is incredibly annoying.

I suppose it is because companies don't want to negotiate salary before interview.

For larger companies, there are competition law concerns with disclosing salaries.

In general larger companies are not allowed to disclose information such as prices, salaries etc. to each other because it leads to cartel like behaviour.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have just been looking at a job which didn't state a salary in the ads, or by the agency handling it - but I knew the organisation had a grade system and would have graded the role. Sure enough - on their own website it had a salary range. Very silly.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The job I am in now I was head-hunted for. They never said what the salary was. I was asked for my expectations and added quite a few grand on top of my existing salary. I wasn't too fussed about what they paid as I didn't have to leave where I was but wanted to. Too low and I'd stay where I was.

When I received the job offer it was ANOTHER £6k over what I'd asked for.

Nearly under-sold myself big time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport