Organic baby food suggestions

First, I should confess that I don't have a baby and I'm not pregnant. What I have, is a yogurt-loving husband, who is ingesting too much sugar and putting on weight. In an effort to lose it off his middle, he is going low carb.

We figured out that we can sneak in extra fat and veg in our food, by mixing a jar of organic baby food into creme fraiche and heating it, for a sauce. Last night we did it with the Hipp Mediterranean vegetables, a squirt of tomato paste and some Parmesan - it was ace on the marrow we had with our chicken. The experiment worked !

Those big pots of Yeo Valley organic fruit yogurts have 40 grams of sugar in them. :eek: so we figured that he could add baby food fruit purees in plain organic yogurt, because no added sugar in baby food, right ?

Only not having a baby, means I have no idea what's good in terms of taste and price - the Hipp one was on offer in ASDA. Also does 'breakfast' mean it's got oats or wheat in it ?

Any preferred brands ? Ella's Kitchen ? Hipp ? Are there organic own brands ? Anyone have anything good to say about the Mamia organic brand at Aldi ? Does Boots do own brand organic baby food ?

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Aldi will probably be cheapest. You could make fruit puree also, ro cook down fruits to add to yogurt?
  • To be honest using baby food will cost you a fortune!!

Why don't you investigate making your own puree's and soups/sauces and then you will know exactly what is going into them!! IT'll save you a few £'s and will boost your confidence.

Have you looked at the 16:8 way of eating?? It helps with that bulge around the middle and helps reduce the propensity to diabetes - I have no thyroid and my blood sugars were nudging type 2 diabetes last year - I followed the Diabetes Society (or similar) advice and have got my blood sugar back to safe levels and lost 8 inches round my midrift by switching to when I eat rather than what!!

These may help give you some information:-

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/5-2-intermittent-fast-diet.html

https://food.ndtv.com/weight-loss/16-8-diet-would-you-try-this-diet-that-promotes-intermittent-fasting-to-lose-weight-1904891
  • I am confused - are you the same person?? Gnocchi posted the first comment and MrsStepford has commented last??

If you can do 18 hours without feeling hungry then the 16:8 is a walk in the park! You fast for the 16 hours and eat healthily within the 8 hour window which means your body processes the energy better and reduces the risk of all sorts of nasties.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hate to say it, but yogurt is dairy, so full of IGF 1 a cancer growth hormone. Dairy is supposed to grow a baby calf into a huge, 700Ib+ cow very quickly, and was never designed for us to consume (why *do* we breastfeed from a cow anyway?)

I've had weight issues my entire adult life, until going Vegan (didn't do it for health reasons), and now haven't gained weight at all, despite still eating junk food, but have lost without trying. Try Vegan yogurt, Alpro do them in big pots and smaller sized ones, probably a ton of other brands too.

Meat, dairy & eggs are not only unnecessary, brutally cruel (yes even free range) they harm our health for many, many reasons. Take the advice or not, but nothing to lose and you can lose belly fat sugar or not (tho of course cutting that back doesn't hurt)

Also, i'd recommend ditching any fizzy drinks x
  • Ask him to limit alcohol & sugary beverages first, and to go for diet-friendly snacks and junk if he loves to have them. Then, of course, blend some berries in the yogurt because they are nutritional powerhouses that help to achieve fitness goals as well. One cup of blueberries/ blackberries/ raspberries berry has less than 84 calories. So easy to find, super cheap to purchase, extremely healthy and good enough to satisfy one's sweet tooth, What else do you want?
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com}
  • This one's a nice share.
  • First of all, you should focus on eating healthy food instead of eating low carbs etc. I also don't support your idea of eating organic baby food. If you are only doing all this for having a baby then it is the right way. You should eat less but healthy food like fish, eggs, nuts, milk, dates etc. In this winter, you can also have some dry fruits but keep in mind, fatty people don't have an issue of eating, they are suffering because of overeating. So, it is better to eat less but to eat quality food. Secondly, you should cut off carbs in your diet especially avoid junk food and sweet drinks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure