When Banks don't Act on FOS Findings

Options

Comments

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    Nearlyold wrote: »
    Was the decision from a FOS Adjudicator or an Ombudsman? Businesses can appeal an Adjudicator's decision and ask that an Ombudsman looks at it (I worked for a business that would always appeal if we didn't believe the Adjudicators decision was correct). Only an Ombudsman's decision is binding on the business.
    That's a valid point, the adjudicator made the decision, TSB did not respond, they were given three weeks to action the points, nothing, yesterday they indicated the need for more time, today the Ombudsman was advised they will reply to her request within eight weeks.
  • Cotta
    Options
    I have got a response of sorts from TSB through the Ombudsman.

TSB were unable to change my address on the phone and there is a problem with their site for some accounts on this feature. The ombudsman has sent me out a change of address form which I sent in on September 6th - TSB claim they have not received it.

TSB have said that even though they have not issued me with a debit card I should be able to access my money online which in their view is adequate. I have outlined some issues when trying to transfer money from their account to my now primary account, they have dismissed these issues.

With reference to the unpaid compensation. TSB has made no response to the Ombudsman on this.

Overall it's bizarre.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nearlyold wrote: »
    Was the decision from a FOS Adjudicator or an Ombudsman? Businesses can appeal an Adjudicator's decision and ask that an Ombudsman looks at it (I worked for a business that would always appeal if we didn't believe the Adjudicators decision was correct). Only an Ombudsman's decision is binding on the business.
    Once the decision is made by an Adjudicator, both parties are offered the opportunity to disagree with what has been recommended. If neither party disagrees, then the Adjudicator's decision IS binding on the business.

In this case (there was a previous thread) TSB accepted the decision.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    Overall it's bizarre.
    It speaks to complete chaos at TSB. I should consider myself fortunate they paid my compensation swiftly and without issue some time ago.
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    It speaks to complete chaos at TSB. I should consider myself fortunate they paid my compensation swiftly and without issue some time ago.

It is chaotic. In my case, TSB paid the compensation recommended by the adjudicator, but have so far failed to actually address the issue I complained about in the first place.

The letter from the adjudicator told them that they had to fix it, so i'm now wondering how long I wait before I complain again. :(
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lomcevak wrote: »
    It is chaotic. In my case, TSB paid the compensation recommended by the adjudicator, but have so far failed to actually address the issue I complained about in the first place.

The letter from the adjudicator told them that they had to fix it, so i'm now wondering how long I wait before I complain again. :(
    From the OP's account, and others I've read about, it seems the FOS provide the timeframe. So if you're outside that period the answer to your question is...you don't wait.
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2018 at 9:22PM
    Options
    From the OP's account, and others I've read about, it seems the FOS provide the timeframe. So if you're outside that period the answer to your question is...you don't wait.

Kind of. The original email response from the FOS said that unless TSB disagrees, they should make payment within "about three weeks". I received a letter fairly shortly afterwards saying that TSB did not disagree with the recommendation, and they then made the payment after another week or so - so within the three weeks. However, they've not done anything yet to address the complaint, which is still unaddressed.

I'll give them a bit longer, but if there's nothing soon then it's back round the loop.

As always, there's absolutely no communication from TSB of any sort to give any idea what they might do...
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • Cotta
    Options
    I'm not sure what happens next, it's with the Ombudsman, with TSB being elusive as they are I doubt if there will be additional compensation for this latest episode.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    I've only heard about one other occurrence where this has happened (financial institute not playing ball to the ombudsman decision). The Bank name, HSBC. They had stopped communicating with the customer after the ombudsman decision.
  • Cotta
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    I've only heard about one other occurrence where this has happened (financial institute not playing ball to the ombudsman decision). The Bank name, HSBC. They had stopped communicating with the customer after the ombudsman decision.

What was the outcome?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport