Not being able to afford potentially huge vet bills

Hello,

One of my three dogs, who is only 6 years old, woke up today and was very wobbly on his feet and not himself. It got a bit worse as the day went on, so I took him to the vets.

The vet has said they think it is something neurological with his spine. They have done blood tests which have shown there is no infection. At the vets and since he's come home, he can no longer support his own weight and just falls over.

They have given him Baytril, Buprecare Multidose and some Metacam. They have said to bring him back tomorrow and that they may put him on a drip and possibly do an x-ray.

He is back home now, but just sleeping and unable to stand, let alone go to the toilet.

The problem is that they are saying if he doesn't improve in the next 48 hours, the next step is to a referral centre, where he would need an MRI scan, which would cost about £2k which I can't really afford - let alone any subsequent treatment afterwards.

He is insured, but the insurance isn't good and only pays out £400 after excess.

I'm in a bit of debt, but am not on any benefits, so charities don't seem to be an option.

I just feel awful and the thought of him being put to sleep is just so upsetting, but I fear the £2k plus treatment could spiral into a fortune.

Does anyone have any advice they would be kind enough to offer?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    A sad affair,

Can you borrow from family/friends?

Have you got a credit card you could out the charge on?

What insurance only pays out £400? I have never seen one with such a low payout?
  • oysterpearl
    oysterpearl Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sheramber wrote: »
    A sad affair,

Can you borrow from family/friends?

Have you got a credit card you could out the charge on?

What insurance only pays out £400? I have never seen one with such a low payout?

I can borrow the money on a credit card, but I already have some card debt and don't want to spent the next 10 years paying it back. I fear doing an MRI scan only to then find out the treatment after that will be many many thousands more.

The vet today has said there's a chance he could improve after 7-10 days rest in the dog cage. They are doing an x-ray tomorrow too, but warned it won't show up as much as an MRI.

The insurance is Animal Friend's Basic policy. It's £500, but less a £99 excess. I have two other dogs and given that they've been relatively young, I've not had massive vet bills aside from dental cleaning. I intended to upgrade cover and was looking into it just last week, but ultimately not in time to prevent this.

Just feel at a loss as to knowing what's the best thing to do.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Blue Cross may be able to help, but ultimately having him put to sleep might be the moral choice if you can't stop him being in pain or damaging himself. Your need to act in the interests of your pet, not yourself.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Blue Cross is the same as the PDSA in that you need to be on benefits to get free vet treatment. OP will have to pay up.

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/veterinary

(I did often wonder how people on benefits manage to afford to keep pets!)
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 July 2018 at 2:49PM
    I,m going to tell you what you realky don,t want to hear.
    I think the sad reality is that you probably can't afford what is needed to give your dog the care it needs given the potentially life threatening problem it has. There is no guarantee, even if you ay out for expensive tests or treatment that your dog will be able to stand or walk independently again. If this is the case, is this the life you would want for it ?

If you are in debt, it,s really a luxury keeping three dogs, give their ongoing cost and vetinerary maintenance.
    Unless you have a family member who is prepared to bail you out, I think having it put to sleep is possibly the only viable option.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Boot sale, ebay, evening job to raise money?

Some vets will allow payments to be made in installments
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Rehome all of your animals. If you!!!8217;re not prepared to adequately insure them or !!!8216;pay it off over ten years!!!8217; then you are not responsible enough to have them.

Having pets is a responsibility not a right.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I love dogs. Over the years I have kept several and I loved them all. It broke my heart when, one by one, they passed away after a good life and shared happiness. None of them cost me more than a little money through ill health except the last, and he went to sleep before I could get him to the vet.

So I was lucky in that I did not have to consider either going into a huge debt, as the dilemma facing the OP now. However, they were dogs. This problem is probably breaking the OP's heart, but why should that mean going into horrendous debt, being unable to afford to live, and being unable to home and feed the other 2 dogs?

Too many of you are jumping on the OP and making the situation worse for him or her. Do you not think that the options facing the OP are stark enough, without all the barbed criticism? This is a dog and the OP loves it to bits, but it is still an animal. My advice is to wait and see what the vet says, and if the vet can offer any alternatives. If it turns out that something less expensive will bring about a good result, fine. But if it means reducing you to a poverty situation, then you really have no other option.

As I said, I love dogs, but there is a reason why this country has a Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, yet only a National Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Too many people put animals before people, often to the point of hysteria.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2018 at 8:38AM
    Robisere wrote: »
    Do you not think that the options facing the OP are stark enough, without all the barbed criticism?

No, they can put it on a credit card and have it paid off in less than a decade, they just don't want to.

When you take on an animal you take on the responsibility for its care and that includes any and all vet bills that may crop up during its life.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    As with any tests and treatment, human or animal, it is sensible to ask the vet (or doctor) what the tests are likely to show, or might show, and what the prognosis of treatment of those conditions would be.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport