Dla to pip

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have been going back to pain clinic and had another mri scan done recently . I only really have a consultant from the pain person and a physio therapist. I don't see my orthopedic consultant any more because he said he could not help me till I am older and my Dr has recently retired so asking them for advice wouldn't be helpful. Will that be enough

Thanks

Kimberley
    I would send as much as possible. You can ask your GP if there's anything in your medical records that you can use, there maybe a charge for this.

When you have appointments, aren't you sent a copy of the letter that's sent to your GP. All of my past appointments i'm all CC'd into the letter, so that i have a copy too.

Future appointments letters with dates aren't classed as evidence. You can write a diary for yourself. This is classed as evidence. A letter from someone that knows you well, your carer, if you have one. A printed list of all current medication. I would start to gather that evidence ASAP, rather than wait for the forms to arrive through the door.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    I have received the letter saying that my dla is stopping in May and have to now apply for pip.
    I telephoned them to my the claim and was told that I will be contacted in the next two weeks and if I don't get a from by the 2nd of May then to ring back. Does any one know what happens next.
    Kimberley
    I understand that although you knew that this was coming, you can't help but worry, as I went through it last june.
    Poppy has given you excellent advice here:
    When DWP say that evidence over 2 years old doesn't count, i'd send it, if you have a condition that can't improve. My conditions will never improve and i always send in all the evidence i have, even if it is more than 2 years old. I always back it up with more recent evidence too.
    ESA and PIP are different benefits and one doesn't affect the other. People claim PIP and work. Just make sure the evidence is sent with the PIP form and don't rely on them contacting anyone for evidence because this rarely happens.
    I had an ESA assessment end of March last year and then received a letter in May as you have, to say my DLA would be ending and would have to apply for PIP.

I didn't phone them, I just waited for the PIP information and form to arrive - this arrived in June. On the letter, when you receive the PIP form, it states that you have a month, from the date on the letter, to send the form back.

I did not have evidence under 2 years old. As you said, my consultants had signed me off as they could not do anything further, I did however attend pain clinic.

I was then contacted stating that a face to face appointment had been made beginning of August at my home. Three weeks after that face to face appointment I received a letter stating that I would be receiving PIP, both mobility and care.

I personally didn't read up on any descriptors, how many points etc as I felt that just filling in the form, even sending letters as evidence (which were over 5 years old) and adding extra information I felt was relevant on a separate paper, referring to each question where I needed to explain/elaborate on and give examples. I certainly didn't look online about others' experiences before sending the form back, as you will read more negative comments than positive, because people are more likely to post if they have been unssuccessful - which is natural.

As poppy says, keep a diary that you can refer to as this will help you with the form and further information. I sent in all information I thought was relevant, no matter if it was a few years old.

Do not assume that they will contact anyone, GP, consultants etc to get more information, as they may not. It is important that you refer to everything on your form and 'further information' on a separate piece of paper.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2018 at 2:33PM
    I have been going back to pain clinic and had another mri scan done recently . I only really have a consultant from the pain person and a physio therapist. I don't see my orthopedic consultant any more because he said he could not help me till I am older and my Dr has recently retired so asking them for advice wouldn't be helpful. Will that be enough

Thanks

Kimberley

Please don't think that you can't get evidence just because you haven't recently seen a consultant or your GP has recently retired. There is nothing to stop you making an appointment to see the new GP, explaining that you need to make a PIP application and asking for a GP report or statement to include. Your history will all be on computer, so your GP retiring shouldn't be a problem.
    You can also contact your orthopedic consultant's secretary at the hospital where you last saw him/her (ring the hospital main number, and ask for the consultant's secretary). Ask them to send you a report stating that your condition can not improve since your last DLA application. Send that statement with a copy of your evidence from your last DLA application.
    You should also be able to get some sort of report from the pain clinic, or whichever dept has asked for your MRI scan.

I accept it's annoying having to make contact with the authorities to get this information, and some will tell you how busy they are, but the information is get-able, you just have to be politely assertive, stress that you need it.

Please don't panic. Once you have set your PIP application in progress your DLA will continue to be paid until the PIP decision.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • w06 wrote: »
    in effect the phone call was the first part of the claim for PIP, they now send you a form, a bit like the old big DLA form to describe in relation to the PIP 'descriptors' how your health affects your daily life and mobility.

You get I htink a month to return that form and then once they receive it they'll usually call you in for a face to face meeting and decide based on what you wrote on the form, your face to face meeting and any other information that you sent them whether you're entitled to PIP and if you are which level for the two components.

probably looking at a couple of weeks before you get the form, and then a few weeks/month from returning the form to your assessment and perhaps a couple of months waiting for a decision.

Try not to let it get you stressed, it's not pleasant having to describe how things are but it's a means to an end and for me at least wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected it to be

Unfortunately it's nothing like the old DLA form - your now expected to put a lot into the extra information instead as part of the actual core questions. This is where people often slip up and get zero points because they missed something out.

I did the DLA form twice, as first time I missed one single sentence out and got zero points.

The ESA form is designed to make you slip up because you have no idea what they really want to know.
  • I have read that they are supposed to do a criteria check before they sent out the froms so the lady saying they will contact me has worried me a bit.

At the moment I only get mobility and have a mobility car I have ordered the next car and that's due in June. I have advised them and they said I can keep this car till a decision is made. I can't say I wasn't expecting the letter because most people are dreading it.

Thanks

Kimberley

Make sure you get as much help from Benefit Advisors/CAB as you can so you word the form right and include everything. I ended up typing 20 pages and working about 30 hours on the form from start to finish to make sure I put everything relevant in it that I could.
  • Hello thank you for all your reply. I have received the from this morning and I contacted the cab and can't get an appointment with them for another 3 weeks. I have till the 10th May even though I rang them on the 13th.

So I am going to have to attempt it myself or ask for extra time. But I want this done as soon as possible. I hate the waiting and worrying constant about it.

Another question I am on anti depression tablets for anxiety and depression but haven't seen a doctor about this for about 10 years. Honestly got fed up with repeating myself every time I went to a different Dr. Do I still include this.

Thanks

Kimberly
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello thank you for all your reply. I have received the from this morning and I contacted the cab and can't get an appointment with them for another 3 weeks. I have till the 10th May even though I rang them on the 13th.

So I am going to have to attempt it myself or ask for extra time. But I want this done as soon as possible. I hate the waiting and worrying constant about it.

Another question I am on anti depression tablets for anxiety and depression but haven't seen a doctor about this for about 10 years. Honestly got fed up with repeating myself every time I went to a different Dr. Do I still include this.

Thanks

Kimberly
    You can send a printed copy of your current medication, but you will need other evidence tp go with it, as previously stated.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are you saying that you have been issued repeat prescriptions of anti-depressants for 10 years, without it ever being reviewed ??:eek:

If that really is the case, then I'd urge you to go back to the Dr just to discuss that point alone.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello thank you for all your reply. I have received the from this morning and I contacted the cab and can't get an appointment with them for another 3 weeks. I have till the 10th May even though I rang them on the 13th.

Thanks

If you decide to ask for extra time to complete the form then you should telephone them and then follow up with a letter

There is a good link here with a template letter:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/pip-resources/letter-confirm-claim-form-extension/

It has been known for DLA to stop because they say you haven't returned the PIP form so you need to get evidence that you were granted an extension.

Keep a copy of the letter and a receipt from PO to prove postage.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Your DLA won't stop providing the PIP forms are returned on time. It will continue until a decision has been made on your PIP. If you need an extension for the PIP forms to be returned then you'll need to ring DWP as already stated. They will happily give you a further 14 days extra.

ESA and PIP are different benefits and one doesn't affect the other. People claim PIP and work. Just make sure the evidence is sent with the PIP form and don't rely on them contacting anyone for evidence because this rarely happens.

Make sure you have proof of sending.I recently claimed ESA and had considerable problems.The Fitness For Work certificate I was told it hadn't arrived the replacement the Jobcentre said wasn't stamped and was thrown back at me, the claim was not processed and was forced to reclaim Jobseekers allowance on my return from hospital only to be told weeks later that they did in fact receive it.They were quick to process the latter Benefit.

Its much the same here waiting to hear to transfer to PIP from lower rate care DLA its a real worry because of the disability premium also in Jobseekers allowance people cannot afford to take huge amounts in reductions to their only incomes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure