Tube Delays: How to get a refund

MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 337
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
MSE Staff
edited 31 August 2023 at 3:08PM in Public transport & cycling
This is the dedicated discussion thread for our guide:

Click reply below to discuss the guide. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• I just registered with the reeclaim website for automatic refunds for TfL delays.

As directed I entered my details into the website and kept an eye on my TfL account.

I didn’t see anything going through my TfL account but noticed some transactions direct into my bank account and was wondering if they were the result of the reeclaim website.

Has anyone else had refunds from reeclaim? If so, how did they appear on your bank statement?

Also, does anyone know how to withdraw permission from reeclaim if, for whatever reason, you want to stop using the service?
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    TFL + Refunds = “Good luck with that!”
  • kuratowski
    kuratowski Posts: 1,409
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    TFL + Refunds = “Good luck with that!”

+1 for this.

When the tube is very delayed, you always hear an announcement advising to seek alternative routes. Alternative routes generally means slower routes (e.g. buses rather than tube). As soon as you do that the TFL computer says no your journey did not take longer than expected...
  • TFL + Refunds = “Good luck with that!”

Maybe I’ve just been lucky with my previous claims then. I use public transport a lot for travelling around London for work, and have had quite a few successful claims.

I’ve also submitted refund requests to Great Northern and Thameslink and they’ve been accepted too.

I reckon I get back about £110 or so a year from keeping an eye on delays and submitting refund requests.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Adam78 wrote: »
    I reckon I get back about £110 or so a year from keeping an eye on delays and submitting refund requests.

Well that would depend on why you were getting a refund.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Adam78 wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know how to withdraw permission from reeclaim if, for whatever reason, you want to stop using the service?
    From https://www.reeclaim.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/:

How can I disconnect from your service?
    Simply email with a request to cancel our service and we will terminate your connection within 3 working days.

(clicking on the email link actually opens a Contact Us page)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    kuratowski wrote: »
    +1 for this.

When the tube is very delayed, you always hear an announcement advising to seek alternative routes. Alternative routes generally means slower routes (e.g. buses rather than tube). As soon as you do that the TFL computer says no your journey did not take longer than expected...
    I fell foul of this last week when the Northern Line was suspended... following the alternative route suggested by the TfL website I was over an hour late - partly because one of the buses failed to arrive. Refund rejected. I'm kicking it back but not overly optimistic.

(Yet the week before - when the Northern line jammed up - I got a refund in 48 hours because I stayed on the Tube and changed lines instead).
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • It seems like Reeclaim is not currently working. On their 'Connect' page it currently says 'Please note that due to a change in the TfL online login system, Reeclaim is currently under maintenance.'

I suspect it's something to do with TfL introducing ReCaptcha software on their website - but it's frustrating that Reeclaim has not emailed users to tell them about this. I'm now submitting delay refund requests manually.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've always been wary about giving up my TfL details to a third party, if they are hacked, where do you stand as you have given your login details to someone else
  • TFL + Refunds = “Good luck with that!”

I take it you do not have real world experience of this.
    As someone who does I have found TFL customer services to be first class most of the time
    If of course you have been using a third party this may explain your lack of success
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback