Fake MSE sites

Former_MSE_Megan
Former_MSE_Megan Posts: 439 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 24 August 2018 at 10:45AM in Site feedback
Update August 2018:

Please see our Fake Ads guide for the latest updates on sites pretending to be endorsed by Martin or MSE:

Fake Martin Lewis Ads

If you've seen a site pretending to be endorsed by us, or a site copying MSE content please report it to us:

https://help.moneysavingexpert.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001619168-How-do-I-report-a-fake-ad-

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    The 2 that I know have already been reported to MSE recently are

qIIsuuF.png

Not really much of an idea what malware, ads, popups they are serving as I have most things blocked.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Brill, thanks fermi. Yep, we're aware of those two and are working on them but it's great to have them listed here.

Join the MSE Forum
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2015 at 4:09PM
    I have seen bigmoneysaving as a URL a lot, can't remember if I ever clicked on it. What is it?

I thought that moneysupermarket was planning ahead for when Martin Lewis has been paid off and that the forum would then be on the big URL.

Why is Martin Lewis trying to start ridiculous memes on Twitter today and fronting Scam Awareness week for CAB instead of focusing on this website.

PS Megan has sent me a private message, I do not open PMs ever please reply here so everyone can read it. On Twitter, people are reporting problems with the site and moneysavingexpert Twitter account says it is a pesky bug.
  • Yep bigmoneysaving is one of the sites we're aware of.

Not sure what you mean about the URL? As for Martin's twitter, he does loads of work with charities outside of MSE and his twitter is his own to make memes with :)

Yes, I sent you a PM to give you a chance to have a chat, as I've noticed you seem to have some issues in a lot of your posts and I thought I might be able to clear some things up. Happy to answer whatever questions you have.

I tweet from the MSE account, but I'm not sure exactly what bug you're talking about here? Let me know and I'll look into it.

Join the MSE Forum
  • canterswest
    https://twitter.com/MoneySavingExp/status/616615614497562624

What is bigmoneysaving?

I think I have seen it in Google searches possible where lots of results are to a URL saying bigmoneysaving

I incorrectly thought it must be a URL set up by moneysupermarket to transfer the forum onto.

I am not a techie.
  • Ah right. That was a server issue today that's already been sorted.

That site is an exact clone of MSE and we're working with our Legal and Tech team to see what we can do about it. Nope, it's nothing to do with MSE or MoneySupermarket, it's a third party. These sites do pop up and they can look really convincing. We want to make sure no one logs in to a fake site as your details could be compromised there.

Join the MSE Forum
  • canterswest
    Hello Megan, Have you complained to Google as it was definitely seeing loads of results on Google to big money that implied to me it was an official, trusted url. Hence, I thought it was a new url registered by moneysupermarket that would become the url for the forum after Martin Lewis' earn out is completed in September (I know he has not said he will leave then, and says he is likely to stay on, however, you never know).

On the problem with links, a number of posters took the time to alert MSe to a possible problem. This was very valuable information, I would guess, as the sooner you are aware the better.

What seem to be the first posts about links not working as usual directed to MSE were on this thread from Upsidedown Bear and StumpyPumpy and myself

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5278038&page=2#topofpage

It is a small point, but a board guide then set up a new thread about links not working which was helpful, but it was shame that they did not credit their source. MSE should encourage board guides to always quote where their information came from otherwise it might dissuade posters from trying to help.
  • I'll have a word with our search team about those links, thanks for pointing it out.

I'm sure they would have credited if they saw it. They work really hard for us and I'm sure they just overlooked it. At the end of the day, as long as it gets reported and sorted, it doesn't really matter who reported it first.

Join the MSE Forum
  • canterswest
    edited 3 July 2015 at 11:19AM
    I think it very likely they did see it as it was after three of us posted about the problem that the BG in direct response posted a number of tests in the same thread. Did you read the link I included in my last post (assuming it is working correctly).

We'll have to agree to differ on the importance of crediting your source of information. It has been around for a few thousand years, crediting where information comes from, long before MSE's new way of not crediting which I do not support.

PS there is a thread on link errors, if you look in the Site section of the forum. As I said, this was helpfully started by a BG, but the original source hat led the BG to set up the thread were not credited. Small but important point. the BG has thanked your post but not mine, obviously.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    MSE_Megan wrote: »
    At the end of the day, as long as it gets reported and sorted, it doesn't really matter who reported it first.

Exactly. In fact it had been mentioned in more than one place by that point. I'm happy with what I did and how I did it. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure