Bad builder forum

Options

Comments

• edward_jones
    Options
    New house in LUND near Diffield East Yorkshire
    We have always wanted to live in the beautiful village of Lund, so we made a day of it and looked at three new houses being built by a local builder in the village; my wife brought a friend who knows the area well as he was a policeman in the east riding for many years. We looked at the houses and retired to the pub in the village for lunch, where we discussed the pros and cons of a possible purchase. We were overheard by a couple of ladies who knew the wife’s friend who advised against any purchase from that builder, they went on to explain the builder had changed his company name from REEF HOMES as there had been a lot of legal action regarding several homes and or buildings he and his previous company had been involved in.
    They gave us a name of a couple living in a nearby village and advised we contact them; we did by phone through our friend and his contacts, they gave us a solicitor to contact. They also advised to do some digging with the local planning department before we made up our minds on any of the builders properties. We retired to the restaurant where we were served by a very nice person who overheard our conversation, they (as they served our meal) advised (in a low voice) not to buy from that builder as previous purchasers had complained about extreme shoddy and dangerous workmanship, who then had to resort the legal action, as Mr Walker refused to put the deficits right hiding behind several lawyers and solicitors, changing his Ltd company to dodge his responsibilities.
    We were now intrigued and decided to look into this and contact the people advised by my wife’s friend and previous customer.
    We phoned the solicitor who gave us a name of a Surveyor who in turn gave us another surveyor who worked with Mr Walker who had legal action taken against him because of the REEF HOMES builder, who we now know definitely as a Mr J Walker. All of the above gave sound advice – “do not buy any house from this builder” - we thanked the people we contacted and accepted their advice.
    We still are hoping one day to live in Lund but we will now look to an existing house rather than a new one.
    We are not saying not to buy any of these three houses, we are saying we are not and would never take a chance with so much adverse advice for so much money.
    A home buyer
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    New house in LUND near Diffield East Yorkshire
    We have always wanted to live in the beautiful village of Lund, so we made a day of it and looked at three new houses being built by a local builder in the village; my wife brought a friend who knows the area well as he was a policeman in the east riding for many years. We looked at the houses and retired to the pub in the village for lunch, where we discussed the pros and cons of a possible purchase. We were overheard by a couple of ladies who knew the wife’s friend who advised against any purchase from that builder, they went on to explain the builder had changed his company name from REEF HOMES as there had been a lot of legal action regarding several homes and or buildings he and his previous company had been involved in.
    They gave us a name of a couple living in a nearby village and advised we contact them; we did by phone through our friend and his contacts, they gave us a solicitor to contact. They also advised to do some digging with the local planning department before we made up our minds on any of the builders properties. We retired to the restaurant where we were served by a very nice person who overheard our conversation, they (as they served our meal) advised (in a low voice) not to buy from that builder as previous purchasers had complained about extreme shoddy and dangerous workmanship, who then had to resort the legal action, as Mr Walker refused to put the deficits right hiding behind several lawyers and solicitors, changing his Ltd company to dodge his responsibilities.
    We were now intrigued and decided to look into this and contact the people advised by my wife’s friend and previous customer.
    We phoned the solicitor who gave us a name of a Surveyor who in turn gave us another surveyor who worked with Mr Walker who had legal action taken against him because of the REEF HOMES builder, who we now know definitely as a Mr J Walker. All of the above gave sound advice – “do not buy any house from this builder” - we thanked the people we contacted and accepted their advice.
    We still are hoping one day to live in Lund but we will now look to an existing house rather than a new one.
    We are not saying not to buy any of these three houses, we are saying we are not and would never take a chance with so much adverse advice for so much money.
    A home buyer

Where is Lund then ?
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    Wow how do we trust any traders?
  • RosesInTheHospital
    Options
    Just a quick update, Trading Standards and their Buy with Confidence Scheme reviewed the comments I gave on BGPS and agreed my feedback was genuine so it has been published on their site! I hope anyone thinking of using them reads the feedback in order to make a balanced decision on whether to trust this company.....
  • RosesInTheHospital
    Options
    Well... BGPS Ltd closed down after my factual review was published by Trading Standards and surprise surprise - another company has now been formed. So... another warning to anyone who has dealings with Les & Martin Cloughley of the newly formed Probuild Limited.. AVOID!!!
  • Jetglo77
    Options
    Scenario
    This was regarding the installation of an electronic garage door fitted by 3 men from this company. They were fully aware of various issues when they left the property on the date of installation that they needed to return and rectify. We even have this in writing from them. However, after 3 weeks and several ignored phone calls, I have been prompted to share my experience in order to provide a warning to others about this company.

So, please be aware of this company. Foolishly, we paid them upfront, giving them no personal incentive to return. :(

Issues:
    • Unaddressed damage to property
    • Work not carried out to a professional standard
    • Poor customer service

What occurred:
    • Firstly, they left an unsightly 8”x5”x1” hole in our porch wall, exposing brickwork and broken plaster, which they caused when installing an electric garage door. This has not been repaired.
    • Secondly, there was an electrical fault which caused the garage door to not function correctly – which they were aware of upon installation. However, this fault has since worked itself out – nevertheless, they are not aware of this, and for all they know, it remains in a state of malfunction.

Name and address of company given:
    Roman Garage Doors (Part of the Vecelli Home Improvements Group)
    Crane Yard,
    Drakes Lane Industrial Estate,
    Drakes Lane,
    Boreham,
    Essex
    CM3 3BE
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jetglo77 wrote: »
    Scenario
    This was regarding the installation of an electronic garage door fitted by 3 men from this company. They were fully aware of various issues when they left the property on the date of installation that they needed to return and rectify. We even have this in writing from them. However, after 3 weeks and several ignored phone calls, I have been prompted to share my experience in order to provide a warning to others about this company.

So, please be aware of this company. Foolishly, we paid them upfront, giving them no personal incentive to return. :(

Issues:
    • Unaddressed damage to property
    • Work not carried out to a professional standard
    • Poor customer service

What occurred:
    • Firstly, they left an unsightly 8”x5”x1” hole in our porch wall, exposing brickwork and broken plaster, which they caused when installing an electric garage door. This has not been repaired.
    • Secondly, there was an electrical fault which caused the garage door to not function correctly – which they were aware of upon installation. However, this fault has since worked itself out – nevertheless, they are not aware of this, and for all they know, it remains in a state of malfunction.

Name and address of company given:
    Roman Garage Doors (Part of the Vecelli Home Improvements Group)
    Crane Yard,
    Drakes Lane Industrial Estate,
    Drakes Lane,
    Boreham,
    Essex
    CM3 3BE

They are the successors to Essati, a company which would only accept cash payment for its services!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • 1000and20
    Options
    ok,

so had a terrible experience with dean blues and his company we fix electrics limited. only interested in taking money and leaving work undone. Not even qualified to do the work. Total con man. also runs we fix the electrics limited. operating in the Sunderland and Newcastle Area. Large amount of people unhappy with his work.
  • MrsBSaver
    Options
    So glad I found this on the forum. Am at the end of a single storey extension. Our contract with the builder states that the final 10% be paid on completion. We still have a number of items pending on our snag List. Our kitchen tap is leaking which has cause significant water damage to our new kitchen cabinets. Surely we are right to withhold this final 10%??
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    MrsBSaver wrote: »
    So glad I found this on the forum. Am at the end of a single storey extension. Our contract with the builder states that the final 10% be paid on completion. We still have a number of items pending on our snag List. Our kitchen tap is leaking which has cause significant water damage to our new kitchen cabinets. Surely we are right to withhold this final 10%??

Yes. Until it's complete you don't pay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure