Switched to Vodafone but thinking of cancelling before service starts?

Options
Hello All,

I've cancelled my contract with Sky as they couldn't do a deal to reduce my bill and so my broadband is due to end in March. I signed up with Vodafone yesterday for their 35mgb broadband for £21 a month for 18months. Stupidly I should have done some more research first, after looking at more reviews their service seems shocking and the broadband sounds very unreliable, I'm thinking of cancelling before the service starts and any payments are taken as I have 30 days to change my mind.

Just wanted to see people's opinions of Vodafone? Also who would you recommend instead, I'm tempted by Plusnets £24 a month for 35gb for 18 months but unsure of the reliabiilty? I will just be using Now TV passes so would consider Now TV's broadband as well if anyone has any experience of using it? I know they are owned by Sky so is it a similar service and reliability?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've found Plusnet and Sky to be the best of a bad bunch.

Now TV should be similar to Sky although I think you have to pay the monthly charge with a card rather than direct debit, so a bit harder to cancel.
  • danthemoneysavingman
    Options
    This is exactly where I am. Terrible reviews of every broadband provider makes you want to stay where you are just to avoid what appears to be an inevitable massive pain in the derriere over the coming months...

Let us know what you do please!
    Let me Google that for you...
  • Pikeyp
    Pikeyp Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No problems with the 75mb Vodafone service here!, been pretty good for the last 4 months since I left Virgin.
    Miles better than the 100mb I was on with Virgin ... it's slower according to the figures but you would never really notice!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Difficult to decide Speed . Price . Customer Service .
    This site and the web in general will tell you XXX is bad go to another page and its AAA .
    Go to the Ofcom complaints list and its V that tops the list .
    The driving factor for so many is price over customer service as opposed to a reliable connection with decent customer service .
  • OldManLogan
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I cancelled Vodafone in the end. Just the sheer number of negative reviews about speed and customer service was the deciding factor.

After Sky could'nt match any offers I've gone with Plusnet, cant find any serious complaints about speed and customer service seems to be higher than average for most. Got the deal that went live on here a few a couple of days ago, 38 - 40mgb broadband on an 18 month contract that works out around £18 a month after paying line rental upfront and with a £75 prepaid mastercard.

The fact that you can only contact Now TV by live chat really put me off their broadband, started a 14 day free trial with their entertainment and cinema passes though and all seems good so far even on my current 10mgb broadband so hopfully no problems with Plusnet.

Theres an offer for six months of their entertainment and cinema passes for £50 upfront, so about £8.50 a month. Its only for new customers though and annoyingly I dont count as I've signed up to the free trial. Anyone know if my wife can create a new account even its the same address? Different email, card details etc.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've actually found Vodafone to be really good for customer service. As a mobile customer rather than broadband right enough.

I've also found that BT are normally good on the customer service front, had them for BB in last property and waiting on them setting up my line and BB at my new one. Currently have a complaint open with them over a delay - but that is more an Openreach issue.
  • fingerbob7
    fingerbob7 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have been able to stop and start multiple Now TV accounts, using different email addresses, even though my credit card details were the same, so you should have no problems.

re cancelling Vodafone, was it easy to do and did you have to recontact Sky again to let them know, or did you just go straight to Plusnet?

I am in the same position, left Sky a few days ago, signed to Vodafone, and afraid of poor quality broadband after poor reviews, so thinking of cancelling and switching, either to Now or Plusnet. Both are similalry priced with various deals.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    too late now, but i have had vodafone for the last 17months and they have been fine. some initial issues with them setting up the direct debit but fine after that. I am just about to start looking around again as the price is due to increase
  • OldManLogan
    Options
    It was very easy to cancel Vodafone, just a quick phone call, no questions asked. Spoke to Plusnet and they have contacted Sky, all been very easy so far but original switch date was 8th March which I postponed to 22nd March as my sky contract ends on the 23rd so will see if any problems around the 8th. Found Plusnet very helpful so far but obviously will wait and see what the actual broadband is like. Thanks for the NowTV info, I've been impressed with it even on my current slow broadband, only watch a few shows so worth it for sky Atlantic alone at a fraction of the price I paid for sky, seems like there's always 30-50% discount offers on as well
  • fingerbob7
    fingerbob7 Posts: 108 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2019 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Thanks very much for that. Vodafone had also told me they would be assigning me a new phone number, which I then had to cancel within 14 days to try to get back my old one! On top of all the bad reviews for their broadband, I couldn't also risk losing my landline number.

I have Vodaphone mobile and it's very good, but can't afford to risk poor broadband service.

I have now cancelled Vodafone, and signed up to Plusnet.

NowTV is great value and yes, I always keep an eye out for deals!

Thanks for your help!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport