Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17,046Posts
    • 283,641Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 8:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2019 at 8:15 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

Aims for 2919 - walk 1000 miles - 0/1000. Savings up to 8000 - 3000/8000. Lose 50lb - 0/50
Page 10
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 20th Feb 19, 7:45 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 10,002 Thanks
    Living proof
    The one job I really need to get on with is clearing the space where the polytunnel will go. My goal is to get that done and up in March but it's gonna take me some serious graft to get the spot cleared for it and a few bonfires I imagine too LOL
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    I have got the spot under Mypex now and will rotovate the area nearer the time the frame will go up. I was very excited today to pick up two Ikea trestle-type desks which I will use on one side of the tunnel so I am not forever having to bend down to treat seedlings. They were donated on Freecycle although it was a 75 mile round trip and pretty scary getting home safely in a tiny car with the hatchback springing up and down on the motorway. I will cover them with thick plastic and hope they will last me for many years to come. Hoping to grow peppers, chilies, tomatoes, okra and sweet potatoes and a few flowers maybe. It's all a learning curve!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 20th Feb 19, 8:52 PM
    • 8,590 Posts
    • 18,758 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Sounds like an adventurous bargain you found there!

I think I may follow your lead and at least cover the area for now, till it's ready for 'the big dig'. I can't rotovate my plot - it's literally the entrance to bind weed hell and I don't\won't use chemicals on it so I just dig out what I can.

I've got old staging that I'll use in it for this year and will use some o f it to fashion tomato cages over my growbags. Plan is tomatoes, chillies, peppers and aubergine in there, as well as seedling starting zone.

Day off tomorrow as I'm going on a den building and fire lighting session with DS

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income

Feb Grocery Challenge 250\100.77
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 20th Feb 19, 11:58 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Day off tomorrow as I'm going on a den building and fire lighting session with DS
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Top tip - if you've got some dry storage, when you prune woody things like rosemary, lavender etc - tie up little bundles of prunings (say the size of a kitchen roll tube) and let them dry for a few months. Since I figured that one out, every bonfire only requires one match
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 21st Feb 19, 7:27 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 5,880 Thanks
    Slowdown
    I’ve been awol for a week or so but now back home for a long stretch, so gardening is top of the list.
    My peas have grown to around 4cm and looking very healthy. I swear you could have watched them grow it’s happened so fast. A few tomato seeds have shown their delicate first growth as have the leeks. Another two weeks and the next lot of seeds will be started. Got my onions ready to go in.
    Half the veg patch is looking healthy with a fairly fine tilth, for a clay soil anyway, so I’m raring to go.
    Just been reading about price rises for fresh fruits and veg in the wake of a no deal Brexit. Even with a deal there will be tariffs passed onto the customer. Even more reason to grow your own.
    Happy gardening everyone.
    Last edited by Slowdown; Today at 8:15 AM.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 21st Feb 19, 9:47 AM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Top tip - if you've got some dry storage, when you prune woody things like rosemary, lavender etc - tie up little bundles of prunings (say the size of a kitchen roll tube) and let them dry for a few months. Since I figured that one out, every bonfire only requires one match
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    We dry out the (chopped up) Christmas tree in a dustbin (plastic, with a lid held down with bricks) and a frond has the same effect. Also citrus fruit peel, dried out (on the top of the stove) smells great as firelighters and "burn like bu**ery" - to quote my Grandma.

When we put carpet over our beds CAFC it helpfully encourages the bindweed roots up to the surface. We just have to watch out for the residents (often a mouse nest and surface tunnels evident when the carpet is removed).

We have been in the veg beds this week, preparing, weeding and clearing. Lots of onions and leeks that filled other gaps last year are still going strong. Indoors I only have early potatoes chitting in the kitchen so far. The decrepit greenhouse was blown out of square last year and although OK for tomatoes and chillies, once they are up and growing, it is not somewhere I want to spend time - especially with a destroyed roof panel still to replace.

We will replace the greenhouse and i had been looking at a poly-tunnel too/instead - v interested in your choice CAFC if you are willing to share
    MFiT T4 #2 100% after Q12 against target of 60k balance - MFIT T5 target to clear it completely (59,998) - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 2,588.84 after Jan
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 1,238.39 after Jan
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k 187.96 or 6.27% so far
    My DFD is here
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 21st Feb 19, 4:48 PM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I have been digging out little thistles that seeded everywhere after the farmer got his man to plough as close as possible to our hedges (he was cross with me) last year. Some need an excavator - all over the orchard-bit (too small to call an orchard!)

Bl**dy wood-sorrel, it is everywhere. Clearly the ton bag of heat-treated compost was not heated enough - it is everywhere. I have cleared some paths, the bed with asparagus in, pulled and dug out an apple seedling (growing from the rootstock of the old russet) and loads of over-ambitious raspberry canes, making an escape bid. Just so much to do. DH has done most of another bed (they are a sleeper length and just too wide to reach the middle without a supporting hand or foot) - and there are 8 - and he has cut down all the raspberry canes as he could not tell which ones to leave (they are tough, it isn't a problem).

We have got so much composting to do I foresee a trip to the local store that sells big bags of well-rotted farmyard manure!
    MFiT T4 #2 100% after Q12 against target of 60k balance - MFIT T5 target to clear it completely (59,998) - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 2,588.84 after Jan
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 1,238.39 after Jan
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k 187.96 or 6.27% so far
    My DFD is here
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 21st Feb 19, 5:04 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,661 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I'm going to try straw bale gardening this year as part of my end of garden plot is riddled with roots. I have got a few "traditional" raised beds which I made from cut price decking boards but I'm intrigued by the fact that, according to what I've read, straw bales will last for up to 3 years and increase productivity due to the warmth produced when decomposing.

I haven't decided what to grow in them yet but has anybody else tried this method?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

7,997Users online

Martin's Twitter