Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ...when the actual figures are received.

Ho, ho, ho. :)
  • drlabman
    drlabman Posts: 311 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Out of curiosity, anyone ever managed to get through on webchat from their PTA? I've tried for most of the day and only get the annoying message that the service is available Mon-Fri 7:45 to 8pm, and Sat for some period. Oh no it's not.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.
  • caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    As extra information from post 170.
    My tax code for 19/20 has been adjusted to accomodate all three interest figures over the 0% rate ie. I earned 1,500 interest in 17/18 and owe them 500 x 20% = 100. Therefor using that assessment, they have adjusted 19/20 to include the same amount due to the for 18/19 & 19/20 ie. my code has been clobbered by 1,500 points.
    Obviously it is the only way they can claim overdue tax. Forward things will improve and this will be the worst year since the problem was only brought about by the abolition of interest being taxed at source.

Excuse the omission of the pound sign - I've lost it
  • My dad received his 19/20 tax code notice yesterday and it showed he owed £656 for previous years and they have used 17/18 interest figures for 19/20.

We contacted them to find out where the £656 figure came from and it was the 17/18 tax amount (which he paid online in January) and the estimated figure for 18/19 which has been reduced slightly from them changing this years tax code from February.

They confirmed that a new tax code notice had been sent out, as they hadn't taken into account that he had paid 17/18 and confirmed that as they know he won't pay all of 18/19 within his tax year they have added the balance onto 19/20. Why they didn't just do this to simplify things in the first place instead of adjusting his code for 2 months I don't know.

We have told them that we are sending in his 18/19 interest figures as they will be quite reduced (by a 1/3) and that 19/20 will be reduced quite drastically (by only owing approx £50, as we have streamlined his savings by using my mum who is a non tax payer). They have said that you can send both figure's in at the same time.
  • noclaf
    noclaf Posts: 892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi all,
    I've also received an adjustment to my tax code due to tax on estimated bank interest.
    I will need to login to verify the details properly but am slightly confused they have mentioned I owe £23 tax from an earlier year yet are reducing my personal tax free allowance by £116....hopefully the online account will have all the answers....
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    noclaf wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've also received an adjustment to my tax code due to tax on estimated bank interest.
    I will need to login to verify the details properly but am slightly confused they have mentioned I owe £23 tax from an earlier year yet are reducing my personal tax free allowance by £116....hopefully the online account will have all the answers....
    £116 x 20% = £23.

They reduce your personal allowance and an extra £116 is taxed so you pay an extra £23 which is what you owe them.
  • noclaf
    noclaf Posts: 892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    RG2015 wrote: »
    £116 x 20% = £23.

They reduce your personal allowance and an extra £116 is taxed so you pay an extra £23 which is what you owe them.

Thanks v much for clearing up...so simple yet I was still confused based on the letter.

I assume HMRC will space the deductions evenly..via.my employer payslips..it equates to around £1.92 per month so hopefully won't feel it too nuch.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 February 2019 at 2:26PM
    drlabman wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, anyone ever managed to get through on webchat from their PTA? I've tried for most of the day and only get the annoying message that the service is available Mon-Fri 7:45 to 8pm, and Sat for some period. Oh no it's not.
    Is you sit and watch the page for a few minutes the webchat 'availability' updates real-time;...if you are quick off the mark and nip in pronto and you’ll be able to chat to a real live person,...hopefully!

I tried it the other day when I was logged into my ‘Personal Tax Account’....and (believe it or not!) my query was sorted promptly.

Let’s hear it for HMRC,...hip-hip....hooray...etc! :D
  • drlabman
    drlabman Posts: 311 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2019 at 8:03PM
    Oh really. Where do you see the webchat availability indication? I don't see anything. I follow the Get Help link and then the Chat with one of our advisers.

Mind you, I normally log in using gov.verify. When I logged in with gateway id I saw a "Messages" section which isn't there when I log in using gov.verify. That's nuts and doesn't inspire confidence in their system at all.

Where exactly are you when see the webchat option? Desktop/phone app? Logged in using verify or gateway? Which browser/OS?
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.
  • drlabman wrote: »
    Oh really. Where do you see the webchat availability indication?
    I can’t remember the specific page that you need to stare at and I’m not in a position to log-in atm;....however, I’ll try to log-in tomorrow if I can and I’ll update.

The ‘tip’ about watching the page constantly till it updates ‘real-time’ was given to me by the HMRC staff who run their ‘Twitter’ support,...and (surprisingly) it worked,...well it did for me anyway. :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback