Do I need to buy a license if I dont terrestrial TV?

Comments

• Hello

I'm confused about law in terms of UK TV licence, I have a house in Poland and I'm paying polish TV licence. From 1st April 2018 Under the new regulation, everyone who has paid for the right to watch, listen or read online content from a provider in their home country, will be allowed to do so in any other EU country where they are staying for a limited period.''

I do not have UK TV licence and I do not have TV or go on websites like iplayer etc. can I legally watch Polish TV service on my computer for which I'm paying in my home country ?
    This programmes and channels are live :think:

Thank You
  • In the case of Italy, Italian TV allows you to watch only some of their programmes from the iPlayer equivalent when you're abroad, not all those available in Italy. Similarly UK iPlayer does not allow you to watch UK programmes from Italy, or maybe only a small number of programs.

I don't think it's a licence fee issue (does the licence fee even exist in all EU countries?) but they can clearly put limitations to watching from abroad. I'm not sure where that leaves the new regulation that you quote.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When in the UK you legally require a UK TV Licence to watch any live TV, even if it is being broadcast or streamed into the UK from another country.

The new regulation means that the Polish provider cannot block you from watching your content when you are temporarily staying in the UK, but UK TV Licencing law is still applicable.
  • Hello, apologies if someone has posted about this previously.

My tv licence ran out in January and because i receive ESA benefits which are currently on hold whilst they switch over to universal credit, i've been unable to renew it. Today i received a phone call from the tv licensing people asking me to set up a direct debit of £37 a month, which i explained i was unable to do, and they agreed to send me a payment card that i can top up weekly. I usually always pay it straight off in full.
    Question is, can they fine me for our conversation over the phone? They never actually asked if i use a tv, admittedly i do watch the odd programme on tv but surely they can't prove it over the phone, nor did they read my rights or anything like that. I confirmed my name and address and that was all.
    Should i expect a fine? Or have i been let off lightly?
    Thanks!
  • I wouldn't expect a fine, but I would expect someone to follow up within a few weeks if you don't start paying it (which you've said you will, so I wouldn't worry).
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TV licencing doesn't fine anyone, ever.

The courts do that.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I barely watch tv apart from the news, which is not essential given that half the time it’s just background noise and I am busy being distracted.
    Now the tv liscense fee is set to increase, I learnt that amazon tv does not require you to have a liscense, is this true ? I have a 40 inch led bush tv 40gb01. Could I watch amazon on this tv ?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 February 2019 at 10:22PM
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    I barely watch tv apart from the news, which is not essential given that half the time it’s just background noise and I am busy being distracted.
    Now the tv liscense fee is set to increase, I learnt that amazon tv does not require you to have a liscense, is this true ? I have a 40 inch led bush tv 40gb01. Could I watch amazon on this tv ?

Get the firestick and you could, as long as it has a hdmi port.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

Or

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/tvlicence

The firestick or if you use the smart tv app have iplayer so a licence will be needed, what I cant answer is what you can access if you buy a stick but dont have a prime account,
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    With Amazon though, you'll need a subscription , currently 7.99 p/m, slightly less if paid annually. So less than a tv license, but you're restricted to the shows/films that are on there - there's a 30 day free trial, so nothing to lose by trying it
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have to have the fire stick to get the amazon tv shows and videos ? Or can you watch it on the tv without the fire stick ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure