Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slek247
    • By Slek247 11th Feb 19, 1:02 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Slek247
    Off work sick & afraid to go back
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:02 PM
    Off work sick & afraid to go back 11th Feb 19 at 1:02 PM
    Hey all,

I hope youíre well!

As a back story, Iíve been off work sick the past 2 weeks (I genuinely have been ill with a bacterial infection) but Iím due to go back this week and I feel sick at the thought of it.

To put it in summary, I was bullied all last year by my LM, it was raised with HR - went through all the formal grievance channels & the outcome worked in my LMs favour rather than mine (the outcome was a mediation where we sign a contract agreeing to be civil for 6 months; I refused to sign this as I was put through absolute hell all of last year and I wanted to be allocated a new LM).

The bullying is still happening, not as severe, but sheís still my LM and I feel like nothing works in my favour anymore in work (my LM is very close with the director). Iíve applied for jobs everyday the past 2 weeks and not heard anything.

Now itís at the point Iím due to go back and I feel so nervous at the thought of having to face all of that again.

I guess Iím just looking for advice & some sort of reassurance. The thought of going back is killing me but they know they have me hooked because I need the money for my bills.

I just feel like I donít want to be here anymore if it means I have to go back there.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I feel like I want advice from people looking on the outside in and this is the perfect way.

Thank you!
    Slek
Page 3
    • skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 18th Feb 19, 10:18 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 5,581 Thanks
    skint_chick
    It sounds like the situation with your manager isn't going to change. I'm not sure why you want to go to lunch with them anyway since she is going out of her way not to invite you, but this gives you a great opportunity to have lunch on your own and look for job ads on your phone or work on applications. Definitely focus on a new organisation to give yourself a fresh start.

If you want to leave and temp for a bit and you can afford to do this then go for it. It will help your confidence, you should be able to get some extra skills and experience, and it will help you work out what you want to do. You're 23 so it's not a big deal, practice saying out loud why you want a temp role so it doesn't sound like an excuse, start building relationships with temping agency staff, and work on your need to be liked. It's one of those things you don't necessarily have control over, just be polite, professional, and get on with the job. If you get the chance to chat with people in your next job stick to safe topics like where they are planning to go on holiday, how they got to where they are in the company, favourite local lunch options/packed lunches, and don't discuss your previous job other than you left to get new challenge and you're really enjoying x,y,z about this job.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,489Posts Today

7,685Users online

Martin's Twitter