S&S ISA Option- please comment on my thoughts

13»

Comments

• Zorillo wrote: »
    The £20k could also go into your pension, you'd get tax relief on it, and you could get it back out again in a few years and then put it in an ISA.

Thank you for this information Zorillo. I have been in touch with our company pensions advisors to ask for this and other details.
  • Spiggle wrote: »
    Hi MrsWenger,

I just went direct to Vanguard and purchased on their platform. The other knowledgeable people will be able to deal with complicated investments but I wanted easy, simple and relatively cheap. The service I've had so far from Vanguard may not be expensive, they are very helpful on their telephone line and it is to some extent a 'fire and forget' investment for me.

The restriction with Vanguard is of course that you can only invest/they only offer Vanguard investments whilst the VLS range may be purchased elsewhere albeit at possibly higher cost. There are of course other multi-asset funds available, I think there's an HSBC Global Fund as well as others but please look to the others for opinions on those. :o

I wish you luck with your decision and yes, I'll see you in ten years time to compare! ;)

All the best,
    Spigs

Thanks for sharing Spigs, much appreciated. Here’s to 2029 and beyond! :)
  • Possibly higher, but also possibly lower - e.g if you buy it on iWeb, you'll pay £5 per trade, but no ongoing percentage platform fee.

Thank you for this information Londoninvestor.

Much to ponder and decide upon but I am still keen to move some of our money from cash options whatever option we end up with.

I really appreciate all of the posts, thank you again.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Possibly higher, but also possibly lower - e.g if you buy it on iWeb, you'll pay £5 per trade, but no ongoing percentage platform fee.

Yup - also worth mentioning if you have a high value account and are regularly purchasing multiple funds or ETFs then even Interactive Investor can work out cheaper than both VI and iWeb. For example a portfolio of above £60k with 2 purchases a month would be a fixed £90 PA on II. It would be even cheaper with Halifax Share Dealing.

Still if you want to be really stingy on fees you could use VI for your regular contributions and then every year do a partial in-specie transfer to iWeb :-)

Alex
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Here's to 2029 indeed Mrs Wenger!
    Btw I was specifically talking about the Vanguard VLS multi asset funds in terms of price/cost (fire and forget) rather than regular dealing/investing upon which I have no knowledge of cost comparison. Thankfully there are plenty on here who can help.
    All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Spiggle wrote: »
    Here's to 2029 indeed Mrs Wenger!
    Btw I was specifically talking about the Vanguard VLS multi asset funds in terms of price/cost (fire and forget) rather than regular dealing/investing upon which I have no knowledge of cost comparison. Thankfully there are plenty on here who can help.
    All the best,
    Spigs

Hiya Spigs, I think you and I are in a similar place with our understanding and, as you say, there are some really helpful people contributing to the forum.

it is great to read all of the feedback and then go off and research further. That generally confirms what I already know, I have only scratched the surface but we all have to start somewhere!

Best wishes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport