Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 11:53 AM
    • 349Posts
    • 36Thanks
    whambam
    Pip Assessment At Home
    • 11th Feb 19, 11:53 AM
    Pip Assessment At Home 11th Feb 19 at 11:53 AM
    Hi,

My mother has got one this week any advice? Anyone had one recently? They phoned to say who will be coming out and time will anyone be home. They said they were Independent assessment services not ATOS or Capita?
Page 2
    • whambam
    • By whambam 14th Feb 19, 4:44 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    My mother PIP got closed down as she couldn't speak as she had a ventilator on at the time of the visit. The adviser was rude and stormed out the house. I said I could talk on her behalf, but she informed the dwp called them up and gave my reasons they said they may reconsider another appointment.

There are many people who can't speak due to their condition or age, mental capacity and that's what carers, support workers are for.

I remember years ago I done a PIP for my brother from DLA to PIP and he was in the next room eating breakfast and I actually asked her do you need to speak to him she said no it's okay.The pip claim was successful.

I'm considering making a complaint against the assessor should I or will pip be declined because of my complaint or should I wait until the final decision?
    Last edited by whambam; 14-02-2019 at 4:56 PM.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 14th Feb 19, 6:39 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 4,026 Thanks
    NeilCr
    That's a rather different situation. What would ideally happen is that the assessor would ask the question, the son translate, the mother give her answer, son translate back. The obvious issue is that the assessor can't be certain that the reply given is that of the mother. There would need to be trust on all sides that the answers provided are those of the mother.
    Whether or not the assessor would simply accept answers direct from the son, without the mother's input, is something I can't answer.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Quite.

Looking at this from the assessor's point of view. There was no (as far as I can tell) request for an interpreter. The assessor came across, apparently someone who couldn't speak and an unknown person claiming to speak for her.

Not sure whether or not the assessor "stormed out" but, in their place, I would be rearranging the appointment.

In the OP's situation I would be awaiting to see what the DWP come back with

And. I speak as someone who has had to complete PIP and ESA forms through a 'family" interpreter. Very difficult and very delicate
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th Feb 19, 6:58 PM
    • 4,467 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    poppy12345
    My mother PIP got closed down as she couldn't speak as she had a ventilator on at the time of the visit. The adviser was rude and stormed out the house. I said I could talk on her behalf, but she informed the dwp called them up and gave my reasons they said they may reconsider another appointment.

There are many people who can't speak due to their condition or age, mental capacity and that's what carers, support workers are for.

I remember years ago I done a PIP for my brother from DLA to PIP and he was in the next room eating breakfast and I actually asked her do you need to speak to him she said no it's okay.The pip claim was successful.

I'm considering making a complaint against the assessor should I or will pip be declined because of my complaint or should I wait until the final decision?
    Originally posted by whambam
    Even without the ventilator how would she have managed without an interpreter? Did you arrange any of this before the assessment took place?

If you were your brother's appointee all those years ago then yes you would have been able to speak on his behalf. This situation is completely different.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 14th Feb 19, 10:27 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    I was not his appointee. It seems that DWP staff make there own rules some are strict while others are relaxed you get that everywhere in my experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,629Posts Today

8,207Users online

Martin's Twitter