Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xmarksthespot
    • By xmarksthespot 9th Feb 19, 12:07 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    xmarksthespot
    Can credit card limits be consolidated?
    • 9th Feb 19, 12:07 PM
    Can credit card limits be consolidated? 9th Feb 19 at 12:07 PM
    I have amassed many credit cards over the years from different providers - usually because one card had an offer - such as Avios - which was then reduced or withdrawn and better card options existed. Then I have a card I use for non-GBP transactions and cash withdrawals overseas.

I never have any problem getting credit and I always pay off my credit cards in full each month, but find that I'm only using 2-3 different cards (out of the 8-10 or so that are active).

Today I received a card from one of the card companies I tend not to use any longer (it was simply because the previous card was nearing expiry). It has a massive credit limit and I'd prefer if I had less cards and could perhaps distribute this limit to one or more of the other cards that I do use that have lower limits for the "just in case I need it" scenario.

1. Is 'consolidation' of the limits possible?
    2. How does having multiple cards affect my credit rating currently?
    3. How would closing some of these cards affect my rating?

Grateful for any help or insight.
Page 2
    • xmarksthespot
    • By xmarksthespot 11th Feb 19, 1:27 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xmarksthespot
    @Gary_Dexter. Yes, 100% sure. *Rolls eyes*. As is @Ben8282.

From the Barclaycard website:
    "Planning a trip abroad? Take foreign currency out with your Barclaycard while you’re abroad, and you’ll benefit from the ‘up to 56 day interest free’ period if your balance is repaid in full by your payment due date."

Perhaps you should call them to satisfy yourself?

So, trust me (although you clearly didn't previously) - you now have some new-found knowledge! :-)
    Last edited by xmarksthespot; 11-02-2019 at 2:03 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Feb 19, 2:00 PM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    The "no fees abroad" are not the same as cash withdrawal interest.
    They are referring to a withdrawal fee, which is usually around 2.5% of the amount being withdrawn.
    • xmarksthespot
    • By xmarksthespot 11th Feb 19, 2:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xmarksthespot
    Thanks @Gary_Dexter for pointing out the blindingly obvious.

For your info, the withdrawal fee is normally 2.99% on Barclaycard - but then I wouldn't expect you to believe me on this either , given you've ignored what both myself and @Ben8282 have told you already.

Thankfully, there are some people on here that *do* know what they're talking about. Any credibility you may have had is shot - but do feel free to apologise - after you've stepped down from your high horse of course. ;-)
    Last edited by xmarksthespot; 11-02-2019 at 2:33 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Feb 19, 3:04 PM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I happen to have a card with Barclaycard and I asked them about the Travel Card.

They told me there is interest payable on cash transactions, and even the summary page for the card states this:
    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/hd-platinum-travel-summary
    • xmarksthespot
    • By xmarksthespot 11th Feb 19, 4:30 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xmarksthespot
    Hee hee @Gary_Dexter, you're a real glutton for punishment, aren't you?

Even on the link you provided (albeit for a different card to what I have) it states: "Maximum 56 days from date of transaction for new purchases and for non-sterling cash withdrawals if you pay your main balance and any monthly Instalment plan payments (if you've taken out any Instalment plans) in full and on time each month."

There's another piece of information on there that's quite telling too. But why don't I just give you a bit more rope....

The card I got was recommended by MSE here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/#barclaycard - and there are offers above and beyond what's advertised.

Of course, you just want to believe you're right because you have some sort of Barclaycard already. But as you haven't asked the right questions either of Barclaycard or myself, and have made some assumptions then in addition to losing credibility you're starting to look really silly.

Giddy up! This is fun.
    Last edited by xmarksthespot; 11-02-2019 at 4:38 PM.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 11th Feb 19, 9:08 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Are you sure it's interest fee?
    I've not known a credit card that allows cash withdrawals (either at home or overseas) where interest doesn't occur from day one - fee free yes - but not interest fee.

Maybe you should look at getting a Starling/Monzo/Revolut account that allows for fee-free cash withdrawals
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

Yes it is. Read the summary information for the card. I too was surprised and read it carefully several times to be sure. The card in question is the Barclaycard Platinum cashback Plus.
    Maximum 56 days from date of transaction for new purchases, non-sterling cash withdrawals and any balance and money transfers on a promotional rate that have been added to your account since your last statement if you pay your main balance (excluding any promotional balance with a 0% interest rate) and any monthly instalment plan payments (if you've taken out any instalment plans) in full and on time each month.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 11-02-2019 at 9:14 PM.
    • xmarksthespot
    • By xmarksthespot 12th Feb 19, 10:24 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xmarksthespot
    @Ben8282 - spot on.

@Gary_Dexter - mmmm, you seem to have gone very quiet...
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Feb 19, 11:32 AM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    It’s not a p1ssing competition.

Get over yourself...
    • xmarksthespot
    • By xmarksthespot 12th Feb 19, 5:40 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xmarksthespot
    @Gary_Dexter - oh I love it when people have to resort to insults when they have nowhere else to go.

You could of course admit that you got things wrong - even after being presented several times with the information! You could of course apologise. But no, @Gary_Dexter thinks he knows best.

You've been exposed by a newbie. Hee hee. What fun. Funnier still that you kept on diggin' that hole, post after post, deeper and deeper...

Thanks for the entertainment!

And thanks to everyone else who gave practical - and above all ACCURATE - information.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,390Posts Today

7,933Users online

Martin's Twitter