Lost money on expired gift card!!

Comments

• This can happen with a gift card you have not actually purchased or been given by a third party.

For example, if you promptly return an unwanted gift at John Lewis using the dispatch note you receive a refund in the form of a gift card.

You may then easily choose a replacement item costing less than the value of the card and forget about the balance. This happened to me as I was totally unfamiliar with gift cards and unaware they had an expiry date. So this is not quite a credit note, is it?
  • A lot of these responses are extremely entitled. There is an expiry date, a term everyone understands the meaning of but don't seem to take seriously?

It's extremely unreasonable for you to berate employees upholding their businesses policies because you forgot, that is on you. Once you have the voucher you should familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions and take any means necessary (e.g setting a phone reminder or making a note in a diary) to avoid loosing out on the gift card if you know you'll be this angry if this were to occur.

I had a gift voucher purchased for me for the value of £250.00 for an experience, we attempted to use it a few times with said experience being cancelled those few times due to weather conditions. I unfortunately ended up bypassing the expiry date and hadn't made enough attempts to book for them to re-issue or refund my voucher and that was my responsibility, so I let it go. The responsibility lies with the consumer it's not down to the business to stress these things again and again for people who feel the rules shouldn't apply to them. They've upheld their responsibility of making the terms and conditions and expiry dates clear to you. Businesses would loose so much money and time if they made an exception for each case of this happening when they've put a fair policy in place- I mean some of these people complaining who didn't use a voucher in 2 entire years?!

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking in to see if anything can be done once vouchers are expired as some places can offer flexibility but if they cannot it's completely unreasonable for you to get mad about it especially towards an employee who has to uphold these policies.

I hope all you of the mindset that they should still honour the voucher give this a thought.

Regards

A tired hospitality worker.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Tired... perhaps, misguided... definitely.

This thread is from seven years ago, no one has commented in nearly a year, they’ve all moved on with their lives.
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Julie234 wrote: »
    A lot of these responses are extremely entitled. There is an expiry date, a term everyone understands the meaning of but don't seem to take seriously?

It's extremely unreasonable for you to berate employees upholding their businesses policies because you forgot, that is on you. Once you have the voucher you should familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions and take any means necessary (e.g setting a phone reminder or making a note in a diary) to avoid loosing out on the gift card if you know you'll be this angry if this were to occur.

I had a gift voucher purchased for me for the value of £250.00 for an experience, we attempted to use it a few times with said experience being cancelled those few times due to weather conditions. I unfortunately ended up bypassing the expiry date and hadn't made enough attempts to book for them to re-issue or refund my voucher and that was my responsibility, so I let it go. The responsibility lies with the consumer it's not down to the business to stress these things again and again for people who feel the rules shouldn't apply to them. They've upheld their responsibility of making the terms and conditions and expiry dates clear to you. Businesses would loose so much money and time if they made an exception for each case of this happening when they've put a fair policy in place- I mean some of these people complaining who didn't use a voucher in 2 entire years?!

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking in to see if anything can be done once vouchers are expired as some places can offer flexibility but if they cannot it's completely unreasonable for you to get mad about it especially towards an employee who has to uphold these policies.

I hope all you of the mindset that they should still honour the voucher give this a thought.

Regards

A tired hospitality worker.

Did you REALLY join this forum just to make a negative and judgemental comment?

THE BIG MISTAKE IS THE PEOPLE BUYING THESE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I have had them bought for me as a gift and I now refuse them, I ask the person to take them back and keep the money, better them that the B4S^4$D shops that sell this RIP OFF cards

To be CLEAR there is NO EXPIRY DATE on the front of the card, it is hidden in the magnetic strip which we cannot read.

It is not for ME to familiarise myself with the damn terms and conditions Foxtrot that, I will familiarise myself with the shops that flog these theft devices and NEVER DO BUSINESS with them. Actually it is easier to just avoid the rip off gift cards completely. Phone Reminder...Pathetic.

It seems you have been foolish with the experience day, I heard of a similar case on BBC Consumer show and they gave another year, especially as it was the weather which is beyond the control of the consumer. Next time you want to throw away £250 send me a message and I will drop you the bank account details for my favourite charity. I will say one thing, there is no excuse to be abusive to staff but people can and should complain vociferously, that is not abuse, abuse is intimidating staff, shouting, being aggressive or physical.

Two years can pass quickly, there are shops I would only shop at when they had a 70% sale on, that might be twice a year.

So instead of honouring the gift card you would have the Business lose it's reputation by RIPPING PEOPLE OFF?

Well a time comes when consumers vote with their feet, We all put up with companies like RyanAir at first when we see cheap flights but after a while we see they rip people off at every opportunity and then have contempt for them.

The company has had the money including the interest and they have provided NOTHING, there is no way to justify that in my mind. I remember being given some hotel vouchers given by an employer as a bonus for a fancy country hotel, I forgot to use them and stumbled across them one day, I rang the hotel some 11 years later, they honoured them. Now what do you think my attitude to that company was? I loved them, I told all my friends about how honourable they were. Anyone who as run their own business knows this makes more sense than alienating potential customers of many years. I booked a company Christmas bash at that hotel and we spent £28500, I was with a different company by then so quite a lot of profit made by being reasonable.

The classic company that sell rip off events are paintball companies, these are a total rip off and it is cheaper to book direct so you are not paying the commission of the joker standing outside Tesco selling them. They either do not include the paint balls or include so little the whole thing is pointless.

In my experience when employees work for a company with poor policies, terms and conditions they too are mistreated, so they too should vote with their feet. If you are a hospitality worker and you are tired, then chances are you are not going to be that hospitable, so maybe consider a career change.

Or do a course at your local college, never to late to improve your skills, Perhaps start with English.

Loose is for a belt, tie or maybe some clothing
    Lose is when money or keys or whatever are LOST
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If Ikea can have NO EXPIRY date on their gift vouchers, why can everyone else not do the same?

Even Amazon is 10 years.

IMO it is back door way of making money out of those people who forget/misplace them.
  • Woolco
    Woolco Posts: 172 Forumite
    Why are we commenting on somthing from 2012 please? Engage the brain, not the keyboard. Thank you very much.
  • Woolco wrote: »
    Why are we commenting on somthing from 2012 please?
    Threads this old should be automatically locked to prevent such occurrences. However, to be fair, the discussion has been bumped several times in the last seven years.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Threads this old should be automatically locked to prevent such occurrences.

So you're saying threads should effectively expire after a period of time?

giphy.gif
  • Pound wrote: »
    So you're saying threads should effectively expire after a period of time?
    Yes, unless they are still active.

(You should realise that many such old threads have been locked manually in any case.

I was merely suggesting enabling some forum functionality to make this less of a chore for the admin team. Locking a thread does not mean it is no longer readable)
  • I recently tried to redeem some WHS gift cards to the value of £60.00 and they had expired.

I sat there fuming for a bit, then wrote an email to WHS asking them to reinstate the value I lost.

This was their response:

Dear securespark

Many thanks for your email.

I am sorry that we have disappointed you, however, our Gift Cards do expire after 24 months and we do try to make sure that this is clear in our Terms and Conditions. These can be found on the back of the card and also on the presentation wallet. We also provide a gift receipt to let the recipient know when the card expires.

Unfortunately I am unable to help you further on this occasion. If I can be of help with any other matter though, please do let me know.

Kind regards

A Customer Services Minion.

Then I got on the old interwebby and did a bit of sniffing around. I responded like this:

Dear A Customer Services Minion

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to refer you to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

These regulations aim to prevent an imbalance in the relationship between the retailer and the consumer.

An expiry date on a voucher creates an imbalance in this relationship and causes significant detriment to the shopper.

Further, Peter McCarthy, legal officer at Which? says the contract with the consumer for such a sale would be undermined if the retailer failed to spell out the expiry rules at the point of sale, which is the case here.

He goes on to say that a retailer must tell the customer conditions apply to the vouchers and be prepared to answer questions about them. “It is not good enough to simply include terms and conditions in the small print with the voucher”.

I ask you to look again at your decision.

Signed

securespark

WHS have sent me new vouchers to the value of £60.00...

If you are in a similar situation, do what I did and write asking the company to reinstate the value they have taken away.

You have not got much to lose!
    Thanks for this. I got caught out with a Debenhams gift voucher/ card. I will try it with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure