Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mobey
    • By Mobey 11th Feb 19, 12:59 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Mobey
    M&S Bank
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:59 PM
    M&S Bank 11th Feb 19 at 12:59 PM
    Hello all,

First all. I don't know if this is the right forum for this thread so feel free to move it somewhere else if need be. Thank you.

I'm after a bit of advice regarding on compesnsation that could potentially be given by M&S Bank.

A close friend of our family has got an M&S Credit Card and I have been recieving emails addressed to her from M&S Bank. These are legitimate emails. I have recieved 6 emails in total, I didn't recieve any last year but I recieved one again 4 days ago. I don't know how they have got my email address as I have never paid for anything for her using my email address. This is all addressed to her and has on a couple of emails included the last 4 digits of her credit card.

Also, there has been emails how to protect yourself from fraud, one of the emails contained a link that you could register to do internet banking. I clicked on this and was alarmed to see that he could create an account easily and all he needed to do was just create a password.

I never received an opt in email regarding this, especially with GDPR that is a very big worry. I understand GPDR wasnt in place before the 25th of May 2018. I would have thought if I was to recieve emails like this, I'd have to opt out of these.

I have raised this with M&S Bank who have told me that they can't find any record of my email address being listed on her account. They've said it could be that she used my email address when she went in branch or mentioned it in store, I have never done this. Our friend doesn't use computers and is elderly (74), so I can't see how they would have got this.

We contacted M&S Bank on Saturday just gone to get some money back off them as she was having great problems with her new card and couldn't pay for anything more than 30. It caused her a great deal of embarrassment and she missed out on buying a couple of things because she couldn't pay for it. She's been with them for 20 years +. We contacted them regarding this and after much backwards and forwards they agreed to compensate a decent amount (150 for their mistakes and 20 for the phone call). Very pleased with that.

However, the fact I'm getting these emails is more of a concern to me as they can't find any record of me on the system, who else could they be sending it too? This has created much anxiety on her part and stress thinking that anyone could have been receiving information about her and they wouldn't know, as they have no record of me on her account.

We/I have made a verbal complaint, but I want to send a formal letter in by the Resolver tool online to put further information in that I couldn't over the phone. I've conctacted the ICO this morning and they've advised me to complain to them in the first instance and see what they say.

So, my question is - are they likely to offer compensation for this and how much? Is it worth pushing them about it like I have done for the above and I did it with Lloyds late last year and got a bit of money?

Can anyone help, it'd be very much appreciated. I don't really want to contact a No Win, No Fee solicitor as I did this morning, I'd rather her keep 100% of the money as she's a pensioner.

Many thanks all and thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Feb 19, 1:02 PM
    • 20,682 Posts
    • 22,111 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:02 PM
    It's unlikely, now it's with the ICO.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Feb 19, 1:05 PM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:05 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:05 PM
    Are you 100% certain they are legitimate emails?

In that you've checked email headers etc.?
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 11th Feb 19, 1:23 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Bermonia
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:23 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:23 PM
    With all due respect as there is clearly a relationship between yourself and the cardholder, the most likely scenario is that the email address came from one of you - of the no doubt billions of email addresses out there they just so happened to pick yours (a close friend)?!

The compensation paid to your friend sounds generous, with regards to you - as your details have not been compromised in anyway at best you would be looking at a token gesture of 25-50 for inconvenience.

Accept this is not going to be a meal ticket and move.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Feb 19, 1:53 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 8,580 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:53 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:53 PM
    There should be an unsubscribe link on the email - maybe try that?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 11th Feb 19, 1:56 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:56 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 1:56 PM
    I definitely would not be clicking on any buttons within the emails as it might be a phishing scam. I would just ignore them and mark them as spam!
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Mobey
    • By Mobey 11th Feb 19, 5:02 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mobey
    • 11th Feb 19, 5:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 5:02 PM
    Hi all,

It isn't with the ICO yet. They've said I need to give them a fair chance to investigate. Maybe I didn't make myself clear as my head is done in at the moment. I was asking about compensation for her, not myself.

They've said the only way it could have been picked up is what I said, she doesn't understand anything about computers or emails. I never phoned them either and gave my details, it's all a bit strange.

They do look legitimate emails.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,629Posts Today

8,207Users online

Martin's Twitter