We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the op Zafiro. My DH also tells me to slow down and not try to achieve too much in the garden. He means well and he's usually right!

The wind has died off today but I have a house to get back in shape so not sure if I'll get out in the garden. It certainly needs some attention. Even the globes got blown off some of the solar lights.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just hung up the plastic carrier bag in the cloakroom to start collecting a new batch of empty loo rolls which I find invaluable for starting off my climbing bean seeds. When ready to sow I fill them with compost and pack them in six inch deep plastic containers so that water and compost can,t leak out the bottom.

I wish I could get the watering level right though. I always seem to end up with quite a few seeds rotting instead of germinating so this spring I'm going to water by just spraying the compost only.

Anybody else have this problem?
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Could someone please advise me on fan trained or espalier fruit trees? There isn't a nursery anywhere close to me and most online companies seem to have sold out so I am considering buying some young, cheap trees from Lidl or Aldi to train myself.

I have a gable end wall which is around 40 feet long and normal house height. There's just one first floor small shower room window in it, so to all intents and purposes completely clear of obstructions. It faces east but is fairly well protected from bitter east winds by adjacent housing.

I am thinking of an apple, a plum and another variety and know that some are self-pollinating and others not. Is there anyone knowledgeable in this sort of thing please? I do have the RHS pruning book for reference, but I wonder what sort of success you have had with fruit trees from the discounters?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I wish I could get the watering level right though. I always seem to end up with quite a few seeds rotting instead of germinating so this spring I'm going to water by just spraying the compost only.

Anybody else have this problem?
    I have this problem! I overwater everything, constantly, I can't seem to get a handle on it at all. Any rules of thumb out there?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 February 2019 at 1:15PM
    Options
    I've calmed down and thank everyone for their comments - they made me smile :)

I'd calmed down before he appeared last night so I didn't have a go - no point. I've decided to quietly get on with things. I'm going to re-organise the utility room so I can sow my seeds indoors.
    I'm going to take a leaf out of 'unrecordings' book and not do things too early. It doesn't matter if I don't have tomatoes in June.
    Chairs will be dotted around and the no dig method used as far as possible

He's had quite a lot to put with these last four years - I'm going for the bionic look - 2 hips replaced, aortic valve replacement and bypasses and now 2 knees - one next week and one later this year.

For all of you who are young - don't take up a reckless hobby, it catches up with you later in life. I was one for rock climbing, riding and latterly carriage driving. I cannot count the number of times I fell and hurt myself.
    In my next life I'm taking up stamp collecting and fishing :D
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Could someone please advise me on fan trained or espalier fruit trees? There isn't a nursery anywhere close to me and most online companies seem to have sold out so I am considering buying some young, cheap trees from Lidl or Aldi to train myself.

I found these guys quite helpful a year or so ago:

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh Zafiro, you made me laugh. I've never had active hobbies, but the aches & pains of getting older are catching up anyway. At least you enjoyed the excitement at the time.

Primrose & KarmaKat, for watering seedlings in the greenhouse - I stand all pots etc in a shallow tray and after initially watering the pots, I only put water in the tray and let the plants take up water that way. Seems to work most of the time. Hope that makes sense.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    With seeds, after the initial wetting or watering so it's all damp, I just spray the top a bit if it looks dry, I don't water from the bottom until I see leaves or shoots.
    When the leaves are visible, I pour in water [they're usualy in a tray of some kind] and wait for the water to get soaked in. If there's still some there after about half an hour, I pour it away.I don't water from the top again after I see shoots.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if this makes any difference at all (but in theory it should do):
    I raise my propagators about an inch or two from the windowsill so that any cold air streaming down from the double glazing units isn't trapped around the base of the propagator - I made a little platform, but you could use yoghurt pots etc. The whole scheme is of course rendered largely pointless by the cat

My little greenhouse in unheated, so I start off my chilli and tomatoes in a lidded heated propagator in the conservatory. When they need potting on, they go on the spare bedroom windowsill - with a note on the door saying that this room must be kept cat free at all times !
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 February 2019 at 4:25PM
    Options
    It's just not worth the grief trying to deny our cat access to a room

But it helps to attach the note higher up where the cat can't reach it

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure