Beware - People's Postcode Lottery!

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I won £20 last week. I'm still waiting for the 'big one'...
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • MollyR
    MollyR Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    fridae wrote: »
    You might also like to check out the freepostcodelottery.com
    No charge for this lottery, this clever lad has got his advertisers to pay for the monetary prizes.:T

And now, after he has, over the course of seven years or so, paid out thousands of pounds to people who have never had to pay him a penny for a ticket, he is apparently being bullied and threatened by the People's Postcode Lottery who say that he is trying to pass himself off as them! He has even offered to change the name from Free Postcode Lottery to something different, but they won't accept that - they still want him put out of business. To my mind, that just shows that the PPL are most certainly not in it for anything other than their own profit!
  • MollyR wrote: »
    To my mind, that just shows that the PPL are most certainly not in it for anything other than their own profit!

Well of course they are not. What else would they be in it for? What do you think Camelot are in the lottery business for?
  • There are about 17million postcodes in the UK. The postcode lottery says that your chance of winning is approx 1 in 162,000. ...... Eh?? I think some clarification is required to explain how the odds have been slashed from 17million to 1, down to a meagre 0.16million to 1...... Perhaps they're not referring to the jackpot, but saying that the chances of getting even the lowest of prizes is 1 in 162,000?? In which case, it's the crappiest lottery ever ;)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They also of course suing the Free Postcode Lottery. They seem to think that people can mistake the word people for the word free. So not just crappy - nasty big bully boy.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    There are about 17million postcodes in the UK. The postcode lottery says that your chance of winning is approx 1 in 162,000. ...... Eh?? I think some clarification is required to explain how the odds have been slashed from 17million to 1, down to a meagre 0.16million to 1...... Perhaps they're not referring to the jackpot, but saying that the chances of getting even the lowest of prizes is 1 in 162,000?? In which case, it's the crappiest lottery ever ;)

Only postcodes where tickets have been bought are entered into the lottery draw.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • badmemory wrote: »
    They also of course suing the Free Postcode Lottery. They seem to think that people can mistake the word people for the word free. So not just crappy - nasty big bully boy.

Do you know what makes me angry about this - they are using monies that ordinary punters pay them - so instead of concentrating on giving to good causes some of the money will go to fund this case.

Well I have cancelled my D/D to them and sent them an email to say why. I have not had a reply.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Do you know what makes me angry about this - they are using monies that ordinary punters pay them - so instead of concentrating on giving to good causes some of the money will go to fund this case.

Well I have cancelled my D/D to them and sent them an email to say why. I have not had a reply.

According to their 2016 annual report:

Income: £229,884,000
    Prizes: £91,954,000 (40%)
    Operating costs (including profit): £71,581,000 (31.1%)
    Money to charity: £66,349,000 (28.9%)

In comparison, 50% of the National Lottery's ticket price goes on prizes, with only 28% going to (so-called) good causes.

Why don't you donate money directly to good causes?
  • I forget the exact numbers, but there are rules about costs associated with running a lottery, percentage of price outs and how much MUST be used for the associated charity.
    I'd need to look it up, but I think it about 40% must be used for the charity. About 40% in prizes and 20% for costs.
  • ELTRICE wrote: »
    I forget the exact numbers, but there are rules about costs associated with running a lottery, percentage of price outs and how much MUST be used for the associated charity.
    I'd need to look it up, but I think it about 40% must be used for the charity. About 40% in prizes and 20% for costs.

Well that is clearly wrong because it is about 25% for the National Lottery. The "Health Lottery" is about 20%. It's nowhere near 40%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback