PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi, following thread and inspired by many of your finds. I love to buy cards when I need them. Oxfam prices vary but such a beautiful choice. Most charity shops average 99p? My local sue Ryder had a large selection reduced to 50p at weekend. Another good source for cards, books, babyknits and household items can be hospital stalls sometimes alongside cafes.
  • weefreelassie
    Options
    Grey Queen....
    Corbridge is something of a chazzer wasteland, it's a great place but a tad errr, upmarket !
    If you get to Hexham though, there's a canny few chapters on the high street, and some tucked away in the side streets. Because of it's close proximity to Hadrians Wall, there are often outdoorsy bargains to be had !!!55357;!!!56832;
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Grey Queen....
    Corbridge is something of a chazzer wasteland, it's a great place but a tad errr, upmarket !
    If you get to Hexham though, there's a canny few chapters on the high street, and some tucked away in the side streets. Because of it's close proximity to Hadrians Wall, there are often outdoorsy bargains to be had !!!55357;!!!56832;
    :j:j:j Ohh! Excited! Have pencilled in Thirsk and now Hexham, am up in that part of the world for less than a week but am sure can fit some chazzering around museums and The Wall.

Bit concerned that Corbridge is upmarket, was looking to make that my place for re-provisioning with groceries mid-week, does it have cheap supermarkets?

* Rubs hands gleefully at thought of outdoorsy clothing *

:o Nothing to report in terms of chazzering apart from a bundle of 8ft bamboo poles, about 2 dozen for a fiver. For the runner beans. Apart from that, and just under £2's worth of notebooks, I have bought nothing chazzer-ish this month.

Shockingly lax of me, but I've been either at work/ at the allotment/ asleep, which has inhibited my shopping opportunites. Must. Do. Better.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :j:j:j Ohh! Excited! Have pencilled in Thirsk and now Hexham, am up in that part of the world for less than a week but am sure can fit some chazzering around museums and The Wall.

Do visit the Sue Ryder chazza shop in Thirsk. It's in a little street, Millgate, just a few steps away from the Market Square. (I think all the others are situated all around the Market Square) There is also a fab place for coffee/cake/snacks...'The White Rose Book Cafe' just a little way along from the Sue Ryder Shop but actually in the Market Square. It has a lovely garden to sit out in at the back of the shop where the cafe is and the flapjack is to die for! :p
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    I popped to Sainsbury's local today and unfortunately for my bank account it is very near an age uk. Of course in I popped. I bought a boxed gift set of Molton brown shower gel for £3.49 and a large hold luggage size it. Lightweight suitcase in pink for £2.99. It's a little bit marked but that's par of the course with hold luggage
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Miro - a question please. As you seem to be fairly familiar with Thirsk, do you happen to know how far the railway station is from the town? When I've been through it on trains it seems to be in the middle of nowhere, and if I was going for a recce it would be a day trip by train from somewhere else.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Miró
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Miro - a question please. As you seem to be fairly familiar with Thirsk, do you happen to know how far the railway station is from the town? When I've been through it on trains it seems to be in the middle of nowhere, and if I was going for a recce it would be a day trip by train from somewhere else.

Yes it does look to be in the middle of nowhere but when you come out of the 'station', if you can call it that, (unmanned), up the steps and turn right along the main road it is about a 15 min easy walk into the centre. HTH x
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Yes it does look to be in the middle of nowhere but when you come out of the 'station', if you can call it that, (unmanned), up the steps and turn right along the main road it is about a 15 min easy walk into the centre. HTH x

That's really helpful, thank you so much. Thirsk may be going on the agenda now! :T
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Miró
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    That's really helpful, thank you so much. Thirsk may be going on the agenda now! :T

You're welcome. It is a very interesting old market town with a lovely cobbled market square. Lots of independent shops, (and chazzas), and a propper market on market days. Local people are generaly very friendly too. Avoid race days tho!!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A Hobbs Dress for £12

Im over the moon, its perfect for a wedding I have coming up :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure