Dla to pip

Options
I have received the letter saying that my dla is stopping in May and have to now apply for pip.
I telephoned them to my the claim and was told that I will be contacted in the next two weeks and if I don't get a from by the 2nd of May then to ring back. Does any one know what happens next.

Thanks

Kimberley

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    in effect the phone call was the first part of the claim for PIP, they now send you a form, a bit like the old big DLA form to describe in relation to the PIP 'descriptors' how your health affects your daily life and mobility.

You get I htink a month to return that form and then once they receive it they'll usually call you in for a face to face meeting and decide based on what you wrote on the form, your face to face meeting and any other information that you sent them whether you're entitled to PIP and if you are which level for the two components.

probably looking at a couple of weeks before you get the form, and then a few weeks/month from returning the form to your assessment and perhaps a couple of months waiting for a decision.

Try not to let it get you stressed, it's not pleasant having to describe how things are but it's a means to an end and for me at least wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected it to be
  • Kimberley1234
    Options
    I have read that they are supposed to do a criteria check before they sent out the froms so the lady saying they will contact me has worried me a bit.

At the moment I only get mobility and have a mobility car I have ordered the next car and that's due in June. I have advised them and they said I can keep this car till a decision is made. I can't say I wasn't expecting the letter because most people are dreading it.

Thanks

Kimberley
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have read that they are supposed to do a criteria check before they sent out the froms so the lady saying they will contact me has worried me a bit.

At the moment I only get mobility and have a mobility car I have ordered the next car and that's due in June. I have advised them and they said I can keep this car till a decision is made. I can't say I wasn't expecting the letter because most people are dreading it.

Thanks

Kimberley
    Not sure what you mean by the criteria check. You've rang PIP to start your claim off, there's no criteria check. Post #2 tells you what happens next.

You'll need evidence to support your claim, as they very rarely contact anyone for evidence. You should send this (copies only) with the form that you return.

They will give a further 14 days extension to return those forms, if you don't have enough time but you'll need to ring DWP to ask for this.

Your DLA will continue until a decision is made on the PIP, providing your PIP forms are returned on time.

Most people have assessments, so expect one of those as well.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Here's a link to all the PIP descriptors, to which you need to score points for an award of daily living/and or mobility.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some info on the PIP form and process here:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form/
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/if-you-get-dla/

The PIP descriptors:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

Enhanced Mobility requires 12 points, i.e these descriptors for the Moving Around activity:
    "2e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.
    2f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
    (i) stand; or
    (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points."

There may be Daily Living descriptors that apply such as -
    Needing an aid to shower or bathe (rails or shower seat)
    To manage toileting (rails to get off the toilet safely)
    To prepare food (perching stool / walking stick)
    Aids to dress / undress (sock grabber).

This guide gives more info on aids and reliability:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/665635/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-assessment-criteria.pdf

This sits has a comprehensive PIP guide:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The next two weeks will be a good time to read up online about PIP, OP, and to gather all the evidence you have, nothing over 2 years old usually counts and they won't want appointment letters.

It could also be a good time to get either your consultant and or GP to write supportive letters if that might help. you could also think about trying to get an appointment with CAB or welfare rights if you need help.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    When DWP say that evidence over 2 years old doesn't count, i'd send it, if you have a condition that can't improve. My conditions will never improve and i always send in all the evidence i have, even if it is more than 2 years old. I always back it up with more recent evidence too.

It's extremely difficult for lots of people to have recent evidence because we don't all see Consultants etc. The only person i see now is my GP because there's nothing more they can do for me.
  • Kimberley1234
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I think I am just worrying that they will stop it before I even start. I have looked at the questions and most I need help with other then eating talking and toilet needs. I have recently had a esa assessment started before Christmas. The interview in person in early February and didn't hear any thing so decided to ring on Wednesday and they said I would be staying in the support group for 12 month even when the last assessment was 4 years.

So I am not very confident now when it comes to pip.

Thanks
    Kimberley
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I think I am just worrying that they will stop it before I even start. I have looked at the questions and most I need help with other then eating talking and toilet needs. I have recently had a esa assessment started before Christmas. The interview in person in early February and didn't hear any thing so decided to ring on Wednesday and they said I would be staying in the support group for 12 month even when the last assessment was 4 years.

So I am not very confident now when it comes to pip.

Thanks
    Kimberley
    Your DLA won't stop providing the PIP forms are returned on time. It will continue until a decision has been made on your PIP. If you need an extension for the PIP forms to be returned then you'll need to ring DWP as already stated. They will happily give you a further 14 days extra.

ESA and PIP are different benefits and one doesn't affect the other. People claim PIP and work. Just make sure the evidence is sent with the PIP form and don't rely on them contacting anyone for evidence because this rarely happens.
  • Kimberley1234
    Options
    I have been going back to pain clinic and had another mri scan done recently . I only really have a consultant from the pain person and a physio therapist. I don't see my orthopedic consultant any more because he said he could not help me till I am older and my Dr has recently retired so asking them for advice wouldn't be helpful. Will that be enough

Thanks

Kimberley
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family