Ryanair confusing baggage allowance

Options
Hi MSE-ers

I've just recieved this e-mail from Ryanair regarding a trip I have coming up to Berlin:

One Small Bag

All passengers on your booking can bring one small personal bag on board (max 40cm x 20cm x 25cm) that must fit under the seat in front of them.

Please note: If they bring a wheelie bag to the gate or if their small bag is too big to fit in the bag sizer, they'll be charged a fee of £25.

Now I have a wheelie bag that meets the 40cm x 20cm x 25cm requirement specifically bought for budget air line flights. Why does it matter that it has wheels?! Is this really their official line on this? What if I had back problems or was very elderly and couldn't have a rucksack or carry a hold-all?

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As long as your bag is within the allowed dimensions, I can't image you'll have a problem. I suspect the wording is due to the fact that the great majority of wheelie bags will exceed 40x20x25.
  • Oasis1
    Oasis1 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've checked their T&Cs:

"Passengers may carry on board one small cabin bag of up to 40 x 20 x 25cm."

No mention of no wheely bags allowed... if it were any other airline I'd feel reassured. Maybe I'll e-mail their customer service so I have it in writing.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps double check your wheelie bag size, 40 x 20 x 25 cm is much smaller than the IATA standard 56 x 45 x 25 cm which easyJet uses.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • downinja
    downinja Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    Flew back from Venice last week and the number of rucksacks that where LOTS bigger than the allowance, but still allowed on I wouldn't worry.

(obviously I had already paid priority boarding!)
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I would second the comment by Richard, the dimensions the OP quotes are very small for a carry on with wheels. That sounds like the smaller laptop, purse small rucksack size.

I suppose it depends how busy the flight is and whether Ryanair ask to check when boarding.
  • kiwi07
    kiwi07 Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please can someone explain -

Priority & 2 Cabin Bags

Allows you to avail of the Priority queue and the only way to bring 2 bags into the cabin, 1 which fits under the seat in front of you and the other (max 10kg) which can be stored in the overhead locker.

So "one small cabin bag of up to 40 x 20 x 25cm" is a handbag with no weight restriction?
    and 10 kg is a small cabin wheeled suitcase?

So, basically Ryanair charges for a hand luggage which is normally free of charges in a big airlines like KLM etc?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, Ryanair charge separately for baggage that other airlines include in a price that has been inflated to cover the cost. If anything, Ryanair are more transparent because everything is itemised.

To turn the argument around, on KLM (for example), if I travel without any luggage then why should I pay the same as somebody with hand luggage?
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    kiwi07 wrote: »
    Please can someone explain -

So "one small cabin bag of up to 40 x 20 x 25cm" is a handbag with no weight restriction?

So, basically Ryanair charges for a hand luggage which is normally free of charges in a big airlines like KLM etc?

40 x 20 x 25cm is your free allowance.
    "Big" airlines often chuck in a meal, coffee, nuts and the odd G+T.
    But they are bot flying you 2000 miles for a tenner .
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I understand the two bag rule, 10kg is your total allowance. That is how I have managed my bags with Ryanair. If the under seat bag is unlimited weight then that would be a bonus next time I fly.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the underseat bag does not have a weight limit then you can carry 440kg of osmium in a bag that size (assuming you could carry it) . That would really screw up their fuel calculations. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure