4 year old Samsung TV needs new Screen!

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 August 2017 at 11:09AM
    Well.. JL fixed mine for free and it wasn't a cheap repair (entirely new LCD panel needed) when it was 4 years old.. and I do read fine prints for stuff like this. You can push JL for better service if you have to. They've got more flexibility than other firms in that respect.

As I say they are generally very good but there are "get outs" if they choose to use them and there are certainly instances where they have.

No experience of Richer Sounds although the local, reasonably sizeable, repair outfit JL used for my TV also carry out warranty work for Richer Sounds.

OP - I would start by researching your model online to see if there are many reports of the the exact same fault. If so then it may be worth a gamble on commissioning a report from a reputable repairer. Obviously you will have to pay for that although the cost should be recoverable if it helps you win a claim against the retailer. Also try to establish the average life of these panels.

As other have mentioned, you may still only get a partial refund. If the panels on average last 8 years and yours has failed after four you may only get half the cost.
  • Skinnydad
    Skinnydad Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Al, appreciated. It was bought from Curry's (I'll need to check the receipt) if you say a known problem then it must be inherent due to manufacturing issues. I'll google it when I get home and see what recourse if any I have. thanks..
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    Your fault is a well known problem with the Samsung Plasma Panel.
    This is due to poor manufacturer construction of the Panel (Screen).

I would say an inherent fault. Try goggling your fault.

Which retailer did you purchase from?

You would need to get an independent report from a tv repair firm stating this. Then the retailer can make a deduction for the 4 years you have used the tv.
    Saying it and proving it are two different things.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Saying it and proving it are two different things.

And as it's Currys it's pretty likely that proof will be required.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Skinnydad wrote: »
    Thanks Agrinnall appreciated. I was just curious as to where the legal term reasonable time frame would apply. I understand the nature of the 1 year warranty however imagine you paid 5 grand for one of these new TVs and a day after the year it went ti** up. I don't think you'd be happy. In the days of the Tube TV's we always went Panasonic and these TV's went on forever. Thanks AL, Yes they are thin pin stripe coloured lines and have not moved across the TV, I don't mind paying for a part and getting it fixed it's just the panel is a bridge too far. thanks

However what did you actually pay?
  • Skinnydad
    we paid £600 for this 51inch
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    we paid £600 for this 51inch
    So after four years, if the fault is deemed inherent, I would expect a partial refund of something like £150 at the most to be offered.

So the issue is... are you prepared to put in the effort to prove that the problem is due to an inherent fault for possibly a relatively small return, or not?

Remember that no-one sells plasma tvs these days, so finding spares for a repair will probably be considered too costly, even if possible, so a partial refund will be offered.

Just my opinion.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    KeithP wrote: »
    So after four years, if the fault is deemed inherent, I would expect a partial refund of something like £150 at the most to be offered.

So the issue is... are you prepared to put in the effort to prove that the problem is due to an inherent fault for possibly a relatively small return, or not?

Remember that no-one sells plasma tvs these days, so finding spares for a repair will probably be considered too costly, even if possible, so a partial refund will be offered.

Just my opinion.

Exactly.

Sadly we live in an increasingly disposable society. I can understand the OP's disappointment as four years is well towards the bottom of what might be reasonable. As I mentioned I suspect even if that had been John Lewis they may well only have offered a partial refund at this point on their five year guarantee as a plasma panel will be very expensive even if it is actually available. I suspect a repair firm could establish how many hours use the TV has had. If so that may be more relevant than the age in years.

Currys sadly don't have the best of reputations for sorting these type of issues out so I suspect it would be quite a battle for a modest reward.He would be gambling on the cost of the report and, if it came to it, the court fee.
  • Skinnydad
    I'd like to thank everyone for their input here as I highly value this. I agree that £150 would be a pittance and not worth pursuing. I know it isn't going to happen but my gripe was a year for a highly priced product doesn't appear IMHO to be sufficient. As I stated in a previous port if I'd have bought one of these new fancy all signing/dancing £1000's of pounds TV I'd be fuming. I need to look around and not sure of the reliability of Samsung, being an old guy and prior to Plasma/LED/LCD tube TV's like Sony, Panasonic etc. went on forever. Or as Undervalued states we are in a disposable society so you pay your money, take your chance and throw it away at first sign off trouble. Thanks everyone for your advice.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I need to look around and not sure of the reliability of Samsung, being an old guy and prior to Plasma/LED/LCD tube TV's like Sony, Panasonic etc. went on forever.

Probably no different to any of the other major brands. For what it's worth I've had a Samsung PC monitor for about 10 years, no problems. I've also got one of those all singing, all dancing Samsung TVs, was top of the range and very expensive at the time. That's coming up to 4 years old now, no problems at all. I had a JVC TV before that, lasted 10 years before I changed it.

Guess it's luck of the draw.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport