Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The house behind us has had building work going on for over a year. Last week on the first sunny day I went to hang the washing outside and they started cutting paving slabs. I tried to be nice and ask how long thy would be doing it and he said all day, so I was totally cool and said fine I will hang inside.
    Today they are at it again, I spoke to him and he said a couple of hours, so I mentioned it was a bank holiday and he shouldn't be here at all. He said he knew but he had broken a step and wanted to fix it blah blah then walked off. I was fuming but DH said let's go out for a couple of hours and they will be finished. We got back and still it goes on. It got to 4 hrs so I texted the owner (she doesn't live there) a polite text and then I sit here in dread regretting "causing a fuss" she has just replied as I type this, saying sorry and she has asked them to stop. A nice message and I sent one back thanking her, but inside I'm in knots and shaking.
    I see these builders every bloody day and I try to be nice but people still seem crap towards me. I don't know if you are better being an angry aggressive person, maybe they back down then instead of walking over you?

I want to hang my washing out side but the dryer is about 10 ft away from then and I don't want to see them. I wish I was more ballsy.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The house behind us has had building work going on for over a year. Last week on the first sunny day I went to hang the washing outside and they started cutting paving slabs. I tried to be nice and ask how long thy would be doing it and he said all day, so I was totally cool and said fine I will hang inside.
    Today they are at it again, I spoke to him and he said a couple of hours, so I mentioned it was a bank holiday and he shouldn't be here at all. He said he knew but he had broken a step and wanted to fix it blah blah then walked off. I was fuming but DH said let's go out for a couple of hours and they will be finished. We got back and still it goes on. It got to 4 hrs so I texted the owner (she doesn't live there) a polite text and then I sit here in dread regretting "causing a fuss" she has just replied as I type this, saying sorry and she has asked them to stop. A nice message and I sent one back thanking her, but inside I'm in knots and shaking.
    I see these builders every bloody day and I try to be nice but people still seem crap towards me. I don't know if you are better being an angry aggressive person, maybe they back down then instead of walking over you?

I want to hang my washing out side but the dryer is about 10 ft away from then and I don't want to see them. I wish I was more ballsy.
    Any confrontation, even mild ones, are still horrible, so don't worry. It sounds like the way you handled it was perfect.

You were reasonable, and understanding, but it got to the point when enough was enough, especially as it is a Bank Holiday with lovely weather.

It's much better than being aggressive............ that may get short-term results, but it wouldn't bode well for your future relationship with the owner, and you never know when you might need a builder willing to work over a Bank Holiday weekend! :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Oh Pyxis, you are always so wise! Seriously, it's good just to read a balanced view when I get worked up about things on behalf of other people! xxx
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Pyxis
    Oh Pyxis, you are always so wise! Seriously, it's good just to read a balanced view when I get worked up about things on behalf of other people! xxx

:rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

Perhaps I should change my avatar to this............. :D:D:D

watchful-owl-outdoors-picture-id453045075?s=612x612
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• jobbingmusician
    edited 7 May 2018 at 6:25PM
    (Or one of the ones from https://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/hungover-owls-1srx?utm_term=.txX33qLB1#.kvEllOGxL ?) :D

Ooops. That link isn't working too well for me. Try https://www.sadanduseless.com/terribly-hungover-owls/
    NOT implying you are sad and useless - that's the site! :o
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Pyxis
    (Or one of the ones from https://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/hungover-owls-1srx?utm_term=.txX33qLB1#.kvEllOGxL ?) :D

Ooops. That link isn't working too well for me. Try https://www.sadanduseless.com/terribly-hungover-owls/
    NOT implying you are sad and useless - that's the site! :o

:rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:

I'll have you know I'm not hungover either! :rotfl:

I did Dry January, and then never started again!
    Not saying I'll never have another drink, I'm sure I will, but I don't like drinking when I'm with other people, as I don't like the way it makes me feel, and drinking at home was getting a bit out of control before Christmas, so when I saw the Dry January thing, that was the boost I needed!

After a lot of searching, I have just recently found a nice 'alcohol substitute'.
    It's a mixture of Waitrose Ginger Shots and grapefruit Kefir water. The latter has just a bit of fizz....... I realised that that it was the buzz on the tongue that I missed, rather than the actual alcohol, but up until now, the alternatives, even with tonic water with the ginger shots, involved involved either loads of sugar or ghastly sweeteners.

Kefir water doesn't have any; it is 7kcals/100ml, plus it contains lots of lovely helpful bacteria for your gut!

And as I'm back on the 5:2, that's important.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Time for a scenic Gitdog, given how lovely the weather has been this weekend.
    29zbric.jpg

Hope all are well/hanging on in there. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pyxis
    elsien wrote: »
    Time for a scenic Gitdog, given how lovely the weather has been this weekend.
    29zbric.jpg

Hope all are well/hanging on in there. :)

I've been wondering how Gitdog is. Haven't heard anything about him for ages!

How's he been since you stopped the training classes?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    Plus, has anyone heard from MessedUp?

Not heard from her for a while, either.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• jobbingmusician
    OOOO, don't know about Kefir water. Where do you get that, please? (Still on 5:2, and just about to have some food after a day of abstinence.)

We have a sodastream, and I lurve fizzy water with just enough ginger cordial (available at vast expense from Waitrose, other shops sometimes have it cheaper) to cover the bottom of the glass. I don't do this on fast days tho!

Lovely to see Gitdog. I was also wondering *loud cough* how Sir Pugliet is! I saw some inferior cuddly pugs today (not real ones, which could never be inferior) and Lady Pugslet sends her love!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback