Receipt required?

Hi

Not sure where to start looking but my parents bought a fence and shed from a timber company in Scotland which was put up a week ago. The work has been done but no receipt has been given to me despite me asking both by phone and by email. Are they legally obliged to give them one? It was a cash payment as far as I know. Not sure how to find out. Any advice would be gratefully received. Hope this is the right place to ask.

thanks

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes they ought to supply an invoice.

Is there any warranty attached to the shed and fence? Is there any documentary evidence of that?

I presume there is some paperwork connected with the order?

Was it done at a discount 'for cash' nudge nudge wink wink?
  • I'm afraid no discount for cash, I did ask but I reckon it was tax-dodging which I didnt realise until the work was actually underway. I'm not impressed at all, no invoice and no warranty that I know about, I've asked about the warranty by email and I've been ignored so far. So.......not exactly professional to say the least.

I'm just about to reply to tell them again i want a receipt, an invoice and also the wheelbarrow of rubbish they left behind them removed by wednesday or I'll be complaining about them on social media. the work theyve done is ok but the aftersales.....is non-existant. I was just wondering if there was anything legal i could say to make them issue the invoice and receipt. So frustrating and extra hassle. thanks for your reply, appreciate you taking the time to do it :)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Well, it is possible that they could be avoiding income/corporation tax. So, a hint that you might contact HMRC may be helpful.

Having said that your parents may have been avoiding VAT.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    If they are doing that to you, it will not be the first time. Report them to HMRC for tax dodging and VAT(?) fraud.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Was it in the contract that they take the rubbish away? Why did you ask for a discount for a cash payment? It makes it look like you were wanting to do some dodging. There is no requirement to give a receipt. You should get an invoice but again, the fact there is not one does not mean the company are dodging anything.
    In fact the company don't have to give you anything. It's your parents who require it.
  • Well I know it's my parents that need the invoice but the company is far more local to me than them and it was in my garden the work was done. I only asked for a discount as my parents asked me to as it was a fairly big sum of money that was spent and it was their money. I wouldnt have done it if it was my money. They took the rest of the rubbish away but left some by accident.

It was agreed it was either a cash or cheque payment. My parents had made out a cheque but were later told it had to be cash as it was sub contractors that were on the job so no tax dodging on my parents part. It sounds suspiciously like the company is up to something tho. Anyway thanks for the help.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    chicaloca wrote: »
    also the wheelbarrow of rubbish they left behind them removed by wednesday
    Unless they are a licenced waste carrier then they are legally prohibited from removing waste from the site.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    Once or twice I have typed out a receipt myself and asked the workman to sign it.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Risteard wrote: »
    Unless they are a licenced waste carrier then they are legally prohibited from removing waste from the site.

Nonsense, the removal of rubbish and disposal by legitimate means is part of the cost of any works unless specifically excluded. Trades vehicles disposing of rubbish will be charged at recycling plants, so they've avoided that charge. Sneaky.

Edited to add - unless the waste is hazardous (such as asbestos) then they do have to have a special licence.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Nonsense, the removal of rubbish and disposal by legitimate means is part of the cost of any works unless specifically excluded.
    It is NOT nonsense.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE WASTE FROM A SITE WITHOUT BEING A LICENCED WASTE CARRIER.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills