Have Motorola dropped a clanger?

Guys_Dad
Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
I am looking for a £200ish Android phone to replace my Huawei P8 lite that's about 2 years old.

I missed out on the Lenovo P2 as it is no longer available except at extortionate rates almost twice what 3 were selling them at and, as I want a decent battery life and 3Gb memory, I was pleased to read of the new Moto G5S that reviews as a significant improvement on the G5.

John Lewis has an exclusive on this handset on the High Street, so I pre-registered and was informed they had it in store. I went to my local John Lewis, but couldn't see it (or any other Moto) on display.

I asked the sales guy if I could see one but they don't have one available to examine and the ones they have are all sealed and they could not open them. Commenting on the apparent nonsense of the only retail outlet not having any promotion or visual sample when they had exclusivity, the sales guy said that this was the same in all the John Lewis stores !

No is it me or are John Lewis doing Moto a dis-service and what are the marketing teams from both organisations up to ?

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    No is it me or are John Lewis doing Moto a dis-service and what are the marketing teams from both organisations up to ?

Isn't it part of the marketing hype to drum up interest, increase antici.........pation and get people talking about it?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Isn't it part of the marketing hype to drum up interest, increase antici.........pation and get people talking about it?

But when you have a customer ready to buy and nothing available to see......? Silliest form of marketing hype I have ever met.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:57AM
    Are JL actually releasing it for sale yet? If so, buy one, inspect it at home at your leisure and then if not happy you can return it within 35 days for a full refund. Their returns policy say that items must be unused: I'm guessing this means that you could open the box, power it up, and still return it as long as you don't insert a SIM?
    NB: I'm pleased to see that (at last) they've added NFC to this Moto.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • The Moto G5 S is available and can be seen at CPW branches. I've bought 2 of them several months ago!!
    David.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport