Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here

Options
I’ve lived in the property 18 months now; previous tenant (AB) moved out before then.

AB still receives some post, including from bank at my address.

Recently, AB received a chasing letter from a debt collector. I don’t see how AB will get this letter since there is no forwarding address and AB doesn’t collect mail.

So, I imagine that the debt collector will keep sending mail and eventually even send bailiffs around – is that a possibility? I really don’t want to have bailiffs coming around disturbing my piece.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Should I be worried? What can I do to convince debt collector that AB no longer lives here and that they should stop sending mail.

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any mail you get for AB write on the envelope "no longer lives here" "return to sender" and pop it back in a postbox. Any debt collector you tell them the same, they are no longer at that address.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 April 2018 at 1:36PM
    Options
    I would suggest returning the letter unopened with a message written on the back saying that AB no longer at this address. There should be a return address on the back of the envelope.

I assume though that you have opened the envelope which was not a good idea as this suggests that you want to pry into someone else's affairs which doesn't really demonstrate good faith. Any future mail should certainly be returned unopened.
  • petesmile
    petesmile Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

My concern is - will debt collection agencies eventually send bailiffs around (since they almost certainly won't hear from AB along the way)...
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Return to sender and put in post box
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    petesmile wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.

My concern is - will debt collection agencies eventually send bailiffs around (since they almost certainly won't hear from AB along the way)...
    I imagine that they would check the electoral register before sending in the bailiffs. Have you tried searching on Google?
  • petesmile
    petesmile Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    No, I've not Googled. I'll check.

Thanks for the response.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Be warned, you can be fined up to £1000 for opening mail not addressed to yourself!:(
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A4445 wrote: »
    Be warned, you can be fined up to £1000 for opening mail not addressed to yourself!:(

RUBBISH!!!
    It's not illegal in any way.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options

No you can't!

Mail is considered correctly delivered when it is delivered to the ADDRESS, not any particular named person.

Theoretically you could be on the hook for criminal damage.... (and the penalties are greater), but that's rather unlikely.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 April 2018 at 2:51PM
    Options

Not this old chestnut again, 1 can open it as long as the person opening it doesnt do anything untoward eg open an account or commit fraud.

Ive opened post for someone who doesn't live here anymore.

OP just send it back as return to sender.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure