Front door appears to have no lintel

Kernel_Sanders
Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
IMG_20180410_172638.jpg
Cavity walls are supposed to have a metal tray on which the bricks sit, but I can see no trace of it here.
I need to replace the door and frame but it appears to be supporting the bricks and roof tiles, which weigh 6 kilograms each...
IMG_20180410_172540.jpg

Comments

• How old and what type of construction is the house?
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:50PM
    How old and what type of construction is the house?
    1977, constructed on slab. Double trussed main roof. Breeze block inner leaf, metal ties.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not unknown for the lintel to be placed on top of the course of bricks immediately above the door/window - that way the lintel is hidden (and protected) whereas if it were directly on top of the door it would be exposed. The weight of one course of bricks is negligible and easily supported by the door frame.

Alternatively the outer leaf part of a steel lintel might be less than the full width of a brick, so it could be there, but just hidden by the pointing.

The third option is that as there are only about 9 courses of brick above the door the builder felt that applying the 45 degree rule meant no lintel was required... it could be interesting to test the theory. ;)

I would remove the door frame by first sawing out a section about 4 inches long in the centre of the top of the frame. The rest of the frame will continue to provide some support to the brickwork above. The 4 inch gap will then allow you to inspect what is going on above the frame - whether there is a cavity, and if you can locate anything lintel-like (which might be visible looking up through the cavity).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Could also be cast insitu concrete

Any access into the small roofspace?

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My back door is much the same but about 60 years older and hasn't budged even when the door and frame replaced. I asked the same question over at DIYnot forums and the consensus was not to worry.

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • My back door is much the same but about 60 years older and hasn't budged even when the door and frame replaced. I asked the same question over at DIYnot forums and the consensus was not to worry.

From the info the OP has given I would happily agree with that consensus
  • I need to replace the door and frame but it appears to be supporting the bricks and roof tiles, which weigh 6 kilograms each

When you get someone in to give a quote, make sure that they are fully aware of your concerns about the possible lack of a lintel and ensure that this is put in writing.

It's unlikely to happen but the last thing you want is for brick slippage when the old frame is removed and the company concerned refusing liability.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Ruski wrote: »
    Could also be cast insitu concrete

Any access into the small roofspace?

Russ
    When I had solar Panels installed the fitters reported that every tile they lifted wasn't nailed down (22.5° pitch) so pushing up the tiles should be possible. However, I'm not sure if the sarking could be moved far enough without tearing because it's fairly brittle in the loft.
    Would a strong magnet reveal anything?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Surely the weight of the tiles is taken by the rafters resting on wall plates top & bottom, the only weight on the door frame is a few bricks. Are you doing the door yourself or having someone to do it? Either way I wouldn't expect anything to move in the short time there is no support, if it does it's not the end of the world.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 15 April 2018 at 4:21PM
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Surely the weight of the tiles is taken by the rafters resting on wall plates top & bottom, the only weight on the door frame is a few bricks. Are you doing the door yourself or having someone to do it? Either way I wouldn't expect anything to move in the short time there is no support, if it does it's not the end of the world.
    I thought there would be a rafter resting on the brickwork, although there's no reason to suppose it's not also resting on the wall plate like the other ones.
    I'll only D-I-M if it's got a lintel (I know you can hire Acros).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure