Savings account advice

I have an ISA with HSBC but for the last year or so (and despite a phone call to fix it) it won't let my put more money into it. So I thought I'd open a new account and call it a day. My brother has opened a regular savings account and I was thinking of doing that. I can't always put a regular amount in as I'm saving with my partner in his account. I'm just looking for an account I can put in or take out when I please with no penalties.

Don't really have much time to sort things out at the moment and my finances may be uncertain as im hoping to buy a house this year.

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    It isn't entirely clear what you actually want from the account. If you are looking at putting some money away on a semi-regular basis, and it is unlikely to ever be more than c.£250 per month, then a regular savings account is a reasonable way to go. If you have an HSBC Advance current account then you can access their 5% regular saver, but otherwise have a look at the available regular savers elsewhere:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts

One note of caution, however, regarding your existing arrangements. You say that you are saving money in your partner's account. This is very high risk as the moment you deposit that money in his account it ceases to be yours and you have no claim on it. Should something go wrong with your relationship, or should he die, you would not have access to that money. I really would advise you to stop doing this straight away. Changing the account to a joint account is a simple solution, but don't keep paying money in to an account that you are not named on.
  • Jenwales_2
    Jenwales_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    It isn't entirely clear what you actually want from the account. If you are looking at putting some money away on a semi-regular basis, and it is unlikely to ever be more than c.£250 per month, then a regular savings account is a reasonable way to go. If you have an HSBC Advance current account then you can access their 5% regular saver, but otherwise have a look at the available regular savers elsewhere:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts

One note of caution, however, regarding your existing arrangements. You say that you are saving money in your partner's account. This is very high risk as the moment you deposit that money in his account it ceases to be yours and you have no claim on it. Should something go wrong with your relationship, or should he die, you would not have access to that money. I really would advise you to stop doing this straight away. Changing the account to a joint account is a simple solution, but don't keep paying money in to an account that you are not named on.

Thanks for your advice, it's a bit misguided. We've been together for 13 years and are saving in a help to buy isa to buy a house of our own, so this is the best option for us to save for our deposit. It's not high risk, when we buy the house the money will be spent. Under common law I have rights etc since we have lived together for about 4-5 years now, I'm not concerned I have no need to be. But thanks for your concern. We were told not to open a joint account just for paying bills!!!! Banks are not always helpful
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Jenwales wrote: »
    I have an ISA with HSBC but for the last year or so (and despite a phone call to fix it) it won't let my put more money into it. So I thought I'd open a new account and call it a day. My brother has opened a regular savings account and I was thinking of doing that. I can't always put a regular amount in as I'm saving with my partner in his account. I'm just looking for an account I can put in or take out when I please with no penalties.

Don't really have much time to sort things out at the moment and my finances may be uncertain as im hoping to buy a house this year.

Hi,

A few issues with your projected plan, a HSBC regular saver requires you to fund it each month with £25 - £250 a month and there is no withdrawals, although you can close it at anytime and get the basic interest of 0.50% (or current savings rate) you mention that you are looking to buy a house this year have you considered a help to buy ISA which doesn't require you to fund each month but what you do fund will be increased each year by the government bonus.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/how-does-it-work/

You mention that you have fixed your ISA this could be why you cant fund it with any more money as its now a closed product till it matures, but this doesn't stop you opening a funding a new ISA for this tax year.

As others have said be careful about putting money into your partners account as it becomes his money as soon as you do and if anything (I hope not but being realistic) then you have no claim to the money.

Good luck with your deposit savings

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,846 Forumite
    Westie983 wrote: »
    You mention that you have fixed your ISA this could be why you cant fund it with any more money as its now a closed product till it matures, but this doesn't stop you opening a funding a new ISA for this tax year.
    I could be wrong but suspect that OP's reference to "a phone call to fix it" meant a phone call to try to correct a problem with it (not being able to pay in), rather than a phone call to convert from a variable rate product to a fixed rate one!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Westie983 wrote: »
    You mention that you have fixed your ISA this could be why you cant fund it with any more money as its now a closed product till it matures
    I read the post differently. There was a problem (couldn't fund it during the last tax year) which required a "fix".

OP tried (unsuccessfully) to "fix" the problem by ringing them. :)

I think this may be something as simple as a re-activation being required. If you don't fund an ISA for a full tax year HMRC rules dictate you must re-activate it. Maybe the OP didn't fund the account during the 2016/17 tax year?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Jenwales wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice, it's a bit misguided. We've been together for 13 years and are saving in a help to buy isa to buy a house of our own, so this is the best option for us to save for our deposit. It's not high risk, when we buy the house the money will be spent. Under common law I have rights etc since we have lived together for about 4-5 years now, I'm not concerned I have no need to be. But thanks for your concern. We were told not to open a joint account just for paying bills!!!! Banks are not always helpful

If your partner dies and he has not left you this money in his will then you have no rights to it. Whoever has told you otherwise is the one who is misguided. Even if you are named in his will it will likely take six to twelve months before you can access the account because of the time taken for probate to be granted. Without a will the law ignores you; there is no such thing as common law marriage in England and Wales.

There are also no rights in the event of your relationship breaking down.
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    To the OP: what are these common law rights to which you refer? I!!!8217;ve never heard of them. Others might also find it useful information.
    Thanks
    :A Goddess :A
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    I read the post differently. There was a problem (couldn't fund it during the last tax year) which required a "fix".

OP tried (unsuccessfully) to "fix" the problem by ringing them. :)

I think this may be something as simple as a re-activation being required. If you don't fund an ISA for a full tax year HMRC rules dictate you must re-activate it. Maybe the OP didn't fund the account during the 2016/17 tax year?

I can see the way you read it and tbh sounds more plausible, as it could well be a re designation/dormant issue instead.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing