IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Taken to court by UK Parking Control Ltd

owais12
owais12 Posts: 20 Forumite
edited 23 March 2018 at 5:19PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,

I've been taken to court for the sum of £770 by UK Parking Control Ltd (Through SCS Law) for 4 parking fines, all from May 2016.

The driver parked outside a car park on some private land by a university library and not directly in the car park.

I'm very confused and lost on how to approach the whole situation and would much appreciate any help I can get.

Is the first thing I should do the 'Acknowledgment of Service' so I get extra time to reply?

Kind regards,
Owais

My issue date was 12/3/2018 and my date of service is 21/3/2018

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,222 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They are not fines.

Do you mean you have been to court (past tense) or you are going to court (future tense)?

If the later, you need to read the guide to court by bargepole that you will find in the NEWBIES thread.
    Yes you acknowledge and state you are going to defend, but you do not put anything in the defence box at this stage.

How did you get to this point? Have you ignored PCNs and other correspondence until now, or have you moved house?
    You can't just start with a court claim, a lot of things have to have happened first.
    Did you at any point reveal the driver's identity before now? If not, then you need to edit your post above to remove that information.
    Onky ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • owais12
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    They are not fines.

Do you mean you have been to court (past tense) or you are going to court (future tense)?

If the later, you need to read the guide to court by bargepole that you will find in the NEWBIES thread.
    Yes you acknowledge and state you are going to defend, but you do not put anything in the defence box at this stage.

How did you get to this point? Have you ignored PCNs and other correspondence until now, or have you moved house?
    You can't just start with a court claim, a lot of things have to have happened first.
    Did you at any point reveal the driver's identity before now? If not, then you need to edit your post above to remove that information.
    Onky ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper.

Future tense - I've received particulars and a claim form from Northampton county court. My issue date was 12/3/2018 and my date of service is 21/3/2018.

I've been ignoring the letters that UKPC/SCS or anyone else associated to them have been sending me to date. Also, I've never pointed to the identity of the driver.

Thanks - I'll have a read through the Bargepole thread and revert back.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,222 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The advice to ignore has not been given on here since the law changed in 2012.
    You had, or were given old and out of date bad advice.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • owais12
    edited 23 March 2018 at 6:29PM
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    The advice to ignore has not been given on here since the law changed in 2012.
    You had, or were given old and out of date bad advice.

Yeah - I was previously told just to ignore non-council parking fines :/

I've done the AoS now through MCOL. The next stage is to prepare a defence? It seems really daunting and I'm not sure how I go about how to building one.

One thing I've noticed is under contraventions in the particulars, for all 4 fines, it states "... the Defendant's vehicle was parked at Curzon Street Car Park Curzon Street Birmingham. The driver of the vehicle breached the terms of agreement by stopping the vehicle in a prohibited area".

The driver did not actually park in the car park, rather on a privately owned (I don't know who this would belong to) side road leading to student accommodation. The car was next to the car park, but by no means "parking at Curzon Street Car Park". The car was parked where the white arrow points to - whilst the signage is where the red arrow points. The car park is further up the road, as seen in the second picture.

Picture 1: ibb.co/cjrCN7
    Picture 2: ibb.co/hWwkaS
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    UKPC are fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • owais12
    Should I email/post a letter requesting picture proof of my car in the car park?
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,017 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry but that picture looks to me like you parked on private land covered by some pretty useless signage.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
  • owais12
    fisherjim wrote: »
    Sorry but that picture looks to me like you parked on private land covered by some pretty useless signage.

I know - When building a case, do you think that should be one of my main defences?
    Along with the fact that they say my car was got the fine in a car park ... when in reality that is not part of the car park?

Also, I'll be contacting SCS/UKPC in regards to providing me more in-depth particulars on Monday. At the moment, all I have is 4 small paragraphs saying the driver was parked in a car park.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    owais12 wrote: »
    Should I email/post a letter requesting picture proof of my car in the car park?
    No!

You must now defend the claim; do not do anything else. You eye needs to be on the ball.

Why not simply copy and adapt another UKPC SCS claim defence (search the forum for those keywords and change the default to 'show posts'). Read the examples people have already used in the past year, 99% of defences win here when people stick around and follow all advice.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure