Anything to clear small fat berg in U bend of Kitchen waste?

Hi folks,

The waste pipe from the kitchen sink has a U bend on outside wall, good sized pipe etc, but every now and then I have to clean it out as there is a build up of fat, though I am very careful to dump as much into bin.

Its a really horrible smelly job lifting some of the fat out with a empty baked beans tin, sore on the clothes as well, I have to dump them.

Just wondering is there any liquid solution or easier way that wouldn't damage the pipe in the process.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Don't pour fat down the sink, you're just asking for trouble. If it gets blocked under the sink then it takes a few minutes to clear, when it gets blocked under your drive it's a whole bigger & more expensive problem.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 6:19PM
    Yep, pour the fat in the tin BEFORE you throw the waste water down the sink, then put the tin in the general rubbish.

EssexExile is correct about the future possibility of a blocked drain underground. Seem some in my time. Take it from me it will block when most don't need it and it will be expensive to clear.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    For blocked organic waste in drain or pipes use Hydrogen Peroxide. I use the 35% one and it is fairly expensive. It will not eat metal, but he reaction may overheat the plastic pipe so pour it slowly. It dissolves things that acid or bleach will not touch. It can create foam/bubbles, so make the contents has room to expand

Dont get it in your eyes or hands or breathe in the fumes. Have a big bucket of water as a standby and an accessible shower/ pre-filled water bath if you are the clumsy type.

The stronger stuff is used for rocket fuel - you won't get hold of this. Chemist often sell the 3%-12% one used for wounds or bleaching hair and teeth. The 35% and less is used in the food industry, especially poultry.

Ebay. Cheaper than a plumber and much more fun.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    that wrote: »
    For blocked organic waste in drain or pipes use Hydrogen Peroxide. I use the 35% one and it is fairly expensive. It will not eat metal, but he reaction may overheat the plastic pipe so pour it slowly. It dissolves things that acid or bleach will not touch. It can create foam/bubbles, so make the contents has room to expand

Dont get it in your eyes or hands or breathe in the fumes. Have a big bucket of water as a standby and an accessible shower/ pre-filled water bath if you are the clumsy type.

The stronger stuff is used for rocket fuel - you won't get hold of this. Chemist often sell the 3%-12% one used for wounds or bleaching hair and teeth. The 35% and less is used in the food industry, especially poultry.

Ebay. Cheaper than a plumber and much more fun.

This is a bit of a nuclear option which I would not recommend for the OP. It's too bloody dangerous for a beginner who doesn't know what they are doing with the stuff.

Best course of action is not to put the fat down the sink in the first place. Then there will not be a problem.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 5:30AM
    robin58 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a nuclear option which I would not recommend for the OP. It's too bloody dangerous for a beginner who doesn't know what they are doing with the stuff.
    I would say it is safer than using One-Shot, or another strong acid, kinder on the pipes, and better for the drainage system, and environmentally friendly. This is the industries answer to fatty floaters in food processing environments
    Best course of action is not to put the fat down the sink in the first place. Then there will not be a problem.
    From the post title, this ship has already sailed. Yes, they should refrain from doing it further.
  • robin58 wrote: »

Hairdressers get 40% hydrogen peroxide on their hands on a daily basis (from experience) it's really not as bad as this
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wondering is there any liquid solution or easier way that wouldn't damage the pipe in the process.

I take it that you have tried boiling water?
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is it not possible for you to get under there and dismantle enough of the pipework so as to physically rod the pipes and fittings out? You can buy flexible cleaners with brush attachments on the end to rod out the pipework that you can't dismantle. This needs to be done around 2 yearly at most.

All of these liquid drain unblocking solutions are short term at best, as they only clear a small proportion of the blockage each time.

You need to physically clean out those pipes to do the job properly!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    IT is probably good that this outside Ubend is catching it.

In the winter it cools and solidifies quickly, summer it may get further.

using hot water just melts it and it solidifies somewhere else down the system.

It can be hard not to let any fats/oils get down the drains, scape and wipe the excess, for the last bits soap & water will make an emulsion that can be wiped again and the last bits should be stable to get through the drains.

if you have food recycling scrapings and paper used to wipe can go in that.

larger quantities(like fryers) need to be taken to the tip that have oil/fat recycling, this stuff does not need to go to landfill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure