Disability Car benefits

Options
I'm trying to find out if my mum can have a disabled car. My step-father who doesn't live with her but cares for her needs an adaptive car as he's 81 and struggling. Mum is on attendance allowance, wheelchair bound and shes 71. I'm going round in circles trying to find out if she could be eligible to join the motability scheme for example as they only talk about DLA and PIP which are not relevant to her. Anyone have any advice please? thank you

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/who-can-join/

^^ Motability's eligibility checker. But on initial glance, I'd say no, as Attendance Allowance is not an eligible benefit.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Even if she did qualify it would be for her, not for your step father, and he would not be able to use it to care for her...
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Attendance Allowance doesn!!!8217;t have the mobility part lime DLA and PIP does, so no she doesn!!!8217;t qualify.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    she would need the higher mobility rate of PIPP or the old dla to be accepted onto the scheme
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If I'm reading this correctly does it mean that somebody who only becomes disabled after age 65 can't qualify for a mobility vehicle?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If I'm reading this correctly does it mean that somebody who only becomes disabled after age 65 can't qualify for a mobility vehicle?
    I think that's correct.
    Although I'd say it should be at least 67, given the increased state pension age now ...
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

There is a general expected lack of mobility after a certain age (don't tell my Mum) so yes, mobility elements stop being relevant. There are many non disabled elderly people who would struggle with a lot of the mobility descriptors.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I think that's correct.
    Although I'd say it should be at least 67, given the increased state pension age now ...

Of course. As I've already retired I'd forgot about the increased age. :D
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Of course. As I've already retired I'd forgot about the increased age. :D

But the age between PIP and AA remains 65 so in terms of qualifying for Motability vehicle the cut off for qualifying for the first time remains 65.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Would I be correct in thinking that if someone already qualifies, for a motability car - through either DLA or PIP at the point of reaching 65 - then the vehicle will not be taken off them - they continue to qualify ?
    How long for ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport