MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Comments

• Herbalus wrote: »
    One adviser told me to initiate a switch to Barclays I would have to make the appointment in a NatWest branch....

The adisor you spoke to was obviously very wise as you'd probably get more sense out of NatWest. ;)
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The adisor you spoke to was obviously very wise as you'd probably get more sense out of NatWest. ;)

Almost certainly, but no matter how much sense and wisdom NatWest could give me, they would not be able to do what I actually wanted, which was make an appointment in a Barclays branch to initiate a switch.
  • Over62
    Over62 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I would discuss this with the switching team as you can't be the only person with this particular problem, see if they have any suggestions
    If you don't have the number it is: 0333 202 7458

I see the old paper licence has both address and signature. (I keep mine so that I don't lose the card!) Surely it's only recently that the paper one became invalid?

See my post number #65. The same branch accepted my old style driving licence WHICH IS NOT INVALID, but refused my OH's. The switching team said that it was up to each individual branch whether or not they accepted it. OH gave up. Not worth the effort.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    You can't beat the Go To Bank can you ?
  • I am new to Barclays, their incentive of £11 per month sounded attractive so a switch is planned. When I logged into online banking then clicking move money followed by make payment a message reading error code 9802 Sorry - you do not have any accounts from which we can set up a payment.

I called online banking help and the technical support person issued me with a new membership number then talked me through setting a payment using a NAT WEST card reader, as I have not received my pinsentry however an error code came up when I clicked make payment, then his plan was for me to remove an existing payee from list however another error code 205 came up, which did not allow me to remove the payee.

Instead I made a faster payment by entering exact same beneficiary details as the existing payee and the payment went through. Though the payment hasn't arrived yet(as its my own current account with another bank). He asked what browser i was using.I use chrome. He suggested I try to use another browser.

45mins later the tech guy has said he's filed a report for other tech guys to call me, what day is best? I said i wasn't impressed and would be expecting to be compensated for the inconvenience poor service and phone call. This doesn't put faith into me banking with Barclays for my main account. They're really making me work for my £11 a month! Total fiasco:eek::eek::mad:
  • Herbalus wrote: »
    Almost certainly, but no matter how much sense and wisdom NatWest could give me, they would not be able to do what I actually wanted, which was make an appointment in a Barclays branch to initiate a switch.

Did you not see the smilie at the end of my comment?

If you get the sort of response you did when you ask to become a customer, what sort of support do you think you would get once they had you?
  • keef-WhatStandards
    keef-WhatStandards Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2018 at 7:26AM
    They're really making me work for my £11 a month! Total fiasco:eek::eek::mad:

I asked about one of those error codes, I might just as well have been talking Chinese. Why do they not train their staff these days? :(

Anyone else have this one after choosing "Mark all messages as read"? :-

"26001 - The Secure Notifications Centre is currently unavailable, our technical teams are working to resolve the issue."

Obviously the same staff that tell Barclays customers to goto Natwest for switching appointments! LOL

This post sums up Barclays online banking nicely - https://www.finextra.com/blogs/fullblog.aspx?blogid=8726
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 8:44AM
    This post sums up Barclays online banking nicely - https://www.finextra.com/blogs/fullblog.aspx?blogid=8726

No it doesn't, it's just about a specific error message (which was actually because of their own error) someone noticed once, four years ago. Lots of banks come up with error messages from time to time.

The main problem with Barclays online banking, in my experience, is that it only works well on certain browsers. I normally use Chrome, with Ghostery activated, and Barclays won't run properly on this (every other bank does) so i have to switch to Firefox. I suspect some (not all, obviously) of the problems people are reporting may be browser incompatibility issues.

But this is all off-topic. This thread is supposed to be about the current switching offer.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    keef-WhatStandards Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2018 at 8:49AM
    Zanderman wrote: »
    But this is all off-topic. This thread is supposed to be about the current switching offer.

Apologies.

Back on topic: Has anyone managed to do a switch online? This appears to be available for new customers, but not existing ones or perhaps you just have to use a specific browser? ;)
  • I am new to Barclays, their incentive of £11 per month sounded attractive so a switch is planned. When I logged into online banking then clicking move money followed by make payment a message reading error code 9802 Sorry - you do not have any accounts from which we can set up a payment.

I called online banking help and the technical support person issued me with a new membership number then talked me through setting a payment using a NAT WEST card reader, as I have not received my pinsentry however an error code came up when I clicked make payment, then his plan was for me to remove an existing payee from list however another error code 205 came up, which did not allow me to remove the payee.

Instead I made a faster payment by entering exact same beneficiary details as the existing payee and the payment went through. Though the payment hasn't arrived yet(as its my own current account with another bank). He asked what browser i was using.I use chrome. He suggested I try to use another browser.

45mins later the tech guy has said he's filed a report for other tech guys to call me, what day is best? I said i wasn't impressed and would be expecting to be compensated for the inconvenience poor service and phone call. This doesn't put faith into me banking with Barclays for my main account. They're really making me work for my £11 a month! Total fiasco:eek::eek::mad:

Totally confused now, the online mini statement of transactions is all messed up, ie in a different order and I can't fathom why the statement is as it states, to me this is incorrectly displayed, when money left my account is not in the order that it left and conversely
    when it entered is not what is stated. Really happy it is NOT my main account.Barclays need to do some work on their software platform.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure