Transferring money to 0% question

bazzab
bazzab Posts: 158 Forumite
First Anniversary
I have £8,233 of debt in a cahoot flexible loan @ 7.7%. I have about £400 spare cash to pay this off a month. I also have an Egg Card account that I could possibly use for a balance transfer, there is an offer for balance transfers @ 0% until June 2005.

Any ideas? Would it be better to transfer some to egg @ 0% even for the few months until June? How much? Then would I pay minimum payments on the egg money and as much as I could on the cahoot 7.7% money? Then in June could I transfer back what was left in egg to cahoot?

Any ideas appreciated
Cheers!
October Comp Wins -Stella Artois Challice (FB)

Comments

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    0% looks good to me, but I would apply for one of the 12 month CC 0% offers and see if you get one. Then BT from that card to Egg and from Egg to your bank account to pay off the loan in full, assuming no penalties for paying the loan off early.

Then from your £400 p.m. pay the minimum off the cc each month (about £150 p.m.), then pay the remaining £250 plus anything extra you can afford into a savings account to earn interest on it.

When you are approaching the end of the 0% deal, apply and balance transfer to another 0% card. If this fails, use the savings you have built up to pay off the card as much as possible. If there is any balance remaining on the credit card then you can, as a last resort, always take out another loan for the small remaining balance. However if you get a 12 mnth balance transfer then chances are that Egg will be offering you another balance transfer deal at about this time next year...

To take this a step further, assuming that you don't actually use your egg card for monthly spending (and why would you), once you have BT'd the full loan amount from egg to your bank account, the balance on the egg card should be zero again. You can then BT the full balance in your egg card into the savings account and then earn interest on that money until June, just paying off the minimum interest each month from your cashflow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure