We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well the weather is quite biblical here. Yesterday it was extremely warm, up to 23 degrees but windy as anything. Today has not been anything other than very grey and extremely wet.

Has anyone heard from CTC recently? Just wondering how they are getting on.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think we missed most of the really heavy rain. Our stream was just trickling this morning and the river's still below average for the time of year, whereas the river cams in Wales show flooding. :eek:

This is obviously because I raced to install the 12m drain at the bottom of our trans-Afghanistan main path at the end of last week. Dropped in half a tonne of gravel and a nice new pipe wrapped up in geofabric, all leading down into the lower lawn, which is always solid underfoot. Testing will have to wait a while longer.:(

I closed-up the side ventilation on the polytunnel this afternooon; a job that takes a couple of hours. So, now it's officially autumn here and maybe, just maybe, all those chillis in there will ripen. :)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    morning peeps

well the weather here is obviously in need of an aspirin !!
    its not feeling well....at all

sunny then miserable ... the sun is moping !

I delivered some furniture I had sold at the weekend and as usual ... hurt my back ... why do I do it ?

kitchen almost finished just got to get the metal bit on the wall behind the cooker.
    AND I have baked some cakes !! shock horror they were edible !
    I NEVER bake but this cooker seems to like my efforts ...
    people that ate them are still with us so must have been ok !

damp and dank today and I have the farrier ....typicall ! so will no doubt stink to high heaven by 4pm ....

hope you are all well xx
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    well.....
    in trying to catch / rescue an errant mouse running round my lounge today , I caught the mouse BUT in the process knocked my telly clean off the unit and ... well, even CPR is not going to help it !! the screen pic resembles a shattered windscreen through a 60's festival rainbow !!
    poop !

I have borrowed a sparrow size tv for now ... wearing my driving glasses to see the screen !
    will try and claim on my insurance ... will they believe the mouse story ??
    I remember putting in a claim when my fox was a cub and he climbed up on the fireplace mantel and "removed" some expensive ornaments from it .... they paid up ...
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alfie having chased numerous mice around from my darling boy bringing them home, I know exactly what it's like. I hope the insurance do pay up! What a pain though
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Is it worth having your premium increased for a telly? We have one that might be worth claiming for, but that's hung on a very substantial frame, just in case. Never having had a posh TV previously, we took it all very seriously!

Sam has been in and out of the Children's Hospital a lot, as the initial plaster they apply didn't do its job and one of the pins came through the skin:eek:, possibly when he had hisT shirt changed at nursery....but he'd also been seen riding a tricycle there. :( His excuse,"Well, I still have one arm working!":rotfl:

Now they are hoping he can put up with another temp plaster till they can remove the pin......:undecided

Not much happening here, apart from some unseasonally good weather that's enabled me to finish the basics of the big path. The rest may have to wait. It's headless chicken time as we try to decide what to do before the weather goes to pot! DW put up our old market stall frame inside the polytunnel and covered it completely in greenhouse bubble wrap, so we have some defence in case of another Eastern Beast.;)

Meanwhile, DW spotted an elderly couple pinch two squash from our sales basket on Thursday.:mad: We went in pursuit, but they hadn't stopped in the little town, so they were probably heading to South Molton ( market day) We checked our friend's CCTV that clocks every vehicle in and out of the village. It picked them up, so we know which direction they came from...;)
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    edited 20 October 2018 at 7:21PM
    Options
    isn't it sad that in this day and age people have to TAKE something that is not a lot of money anyway... if they can afford to run a car they can afford to pay for a couple of squash !! go get em Davey boy x .. :rotfl:

well I have continued with my baking efforts ... albeit my macaroons look more like mount Vesuvius :o
    and my lemon cake is ...well it IS lemony :D

I don't think you will be seeing me on the GBBO any year soon !;)

ive been trimming and pruning and clearing general debris from the garden this week but it gets dark so quick after I get in on an afternoon ... determined to get my lawn cut this weekend ! the overnight dew is so heavy ,it takes all day to dry it out !

hope all you peeps have a good weekend :)
  • Chesapeake
    Options
    Evening all, it's been a while since I posted on here so I've spent the last few nights catching up with you all.

So I've been living in a caravan for the last 6 months which has been cheap (£300pcm pitch fees inc water and power) but now it's getting colder the novelty is wearing off! Hopefully moving into a nice warm house next weekend but the estate agents are being a bit of a pain, one day they say everything is all good and the next day they want us to wait 4 weeks to move in so the house can be cleaned! As we will be homeless in 10 days this isn't helping the stress levels...

Both me and my OH are really enjoying our jobs, I've had a pay rise and she's had a promotion so we're doing ok! Not having a proper address and having to pay back all the money we borrowed when unemployed means we haven't really got anywhere financially but I am reading up on FIRE blogs and planning what savings accounts etc to open once we can register with banks etc.

I'm mega excited as it is the Scottish Smallholder Festival in Forfar next weekend which I've been looking forward to ever since we came oop norf, it's my birthday a few days afterwards so OH is giving me money to treat myself :j:j

Glad you're all still here and making progress!
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on pruning the alder dave.

A good way to catch a mouse is to lay a wellie boot down on its run against the skirting board.

Chesapeke we lived in a caravan for 7 years whilst building. It was not costing us as it was on our land & we put in a wood burner as they are very cold in the Winter the old ones. Hope the house stuff sorts out soon.

I haven't been doing much as I seem to have done my back in.
    Mild again here but raining & windy. Seems that Summer has been & went.
    I must do some filling of holes in the reclaimed wood lining that's gone up in the porch.

Hope every one is getting along well.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    isn't it sad that in this day and age people have to TAKE something that is not a lot of money anyway... if they can afford to run a car they can afford to pay for a couple of squash !! go get em Davey boy x .. :rotfl:
    I'm sure karma will get them anyway, alfie, but you never know, we may be able to give karma a hand.....;)

Crikey, Chesapeake, I thought you were still in Cornwall! ....Good you'll be in a proper house when it does turn nasty weatherwise, though I know its already been very different from down here over the past few weeks. Yesterday, for example, I was still having problems working, due to perspiration running into my specs. Not sure what temperature we had 'officially,' but it was well over 20c. :cool:

And I was fine then.....Started the day with my annual flu jab, but by 8pm I was all aches and pains.:( Probably coincidence snd I may have just overdone it, but still rough this morning. Still, the next bit of lawn will be seeded by tonight and the bulk of 'Afghanistan' will be green by Christmas. :)

You take care of that back, choille! I'm not the best person to dish out that advice, but after my tussle with huge sheets of ply and the sciatica that followed, I've tried to behave better....and almost have. :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback