Identity

Quick question,

I have a friend who has recently applied for a Aqua card, as they have no other credit anywhere and haven't ever had any.

They been approved, but Aqua want a proof of ID, I've read the letter and it's ID, they've already verified the address.

However, they only have a driving licence which is registered at another friend's address, as for a period of time they were working away.

Will Aqua accept this ID regardless of the address on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,290
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would get your friend to contact Aqua on the phone as having proof of ID with an incorrect address could potentially be a big problem...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Update the address on the driving licence. It'll probably arrive within a week. I'm sure they can wait a couple of weeks for the card.

You can get a huge fine for having the wrong address on the driving licence, so changing it would be advantageous for more than one reason!
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591
    First Post
    Forumite
    It is a complex answer. On the one hand, if the address verification has passed, assuming the electoral roll etc. was used, I cannot see how their verification team would view this as a problem when confirming the identity of the person rather than the address, but on the other hand, it could take that one person to escalate the mismatch and result in a declined application.

For the safest bet, I would follow the previous advice. If the address on the driving licence is no longer occupied by the person, it would be unpractical to keep it on there, especially when a situation like this arises. As time goes on, lenders should ask for ID less and less, as their file becomes more established.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • TheJC
    TheJC Posts: 18 Forumite
    If you have a licence (including provisional) and fail to notify the DVLA when you change your address you can be fined up to £1,000. The only exception the DVLA definitely makes for late notification is when the licence holder is the one informing them of the change (not sure about medical conditions).

Sure, the lender might not inform the DVLA of mismatched details, but they likely verify the licence details are valid. Whether they download snapshot data (e.g. the July 2018 snapshot published on 23rd August) or if there is a live API or something, there is the possibility the DVLA gets told about the address change.

Since the address has already been verified, get them to change their address with the DVLA at https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence - it is free to do and the old licence is valid until the replacement has arrived.

Then they can use the old licence as proof of ID with Aqua (assuming the address on the licence was listed as a previous address on the credit application) without any possibility of a DVLA fine or a "your address doesn't match, please provide X utility bills/bank statements" hurdle, or wait for the new licence that "should arrive within one week if you apply online".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure