Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 20th Aug 07, 8:02 PM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today
    • 20th Aug 07, 8:02 PM
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today 20th Aug 07 at 8:02 PM
    1) Seeing all my homemade preserves lined up on their shelf in the garage. They look as good as a stained glass window.

2) The smell of my laundry as I took it off the line, best smell in the world.

3) Taking a batch of muffins out of the oven.

4) Coming back from Tesco without any extras even though the kids were with me.

5) The appreciative words of thanks from my family as they finished their evening meal.

So come on, what are yours ?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 24-02-2009 at 8:56 PM.
Page 5
  • tracyg
    My ones for yesterday

1. Shopping locally in butchers and veg shop, using PO for car tax instead of buying it online
    2. Making a chilli in SC at lunch and knowing we won't be tempted by a takaway
    3. Putting 5 portions of chilli in freezer after we had what we wanted out of it for quick dinners while we move house next week
    4. Working out the chilli cost about 45p per portion - something I've never worked out before and pre OS would have never batch cooked and given leftovers to dogs
    5. Going for a lovely walk in local National Trust park for free with DS and dogs
    Lightbulb moment 15th Feb 2007 Now Debt Free and plan on it staying that way!

Baby on board!
  • anniebooklover
    Some of this I've already posted on the Daily Thread but you won't mind, will you?

1. Working out my finances and realising that they are much better than I thought.
    2. Eating the expensive sausages that I got at a drastically reduced price for my breakfast.
    3. Feeling proud of myself when I look at the handmade cards I made yesterday for my nieces' birthdays. I've saved lots of money, enjoyed making them and I know they will appreciate such personalised cards.
    4. For the first time ever I will be meal planning today. I'm giving myself a challenge this month to save as much as possible and the storecupboard challenge is part of it.
    5. Will change the bedding on DS and DD's beds and dry them on the line.
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
  • Hardup Hester
    1) Drawn up plans for square foot gardening bed.
    2) Cooking a chicken that was reduced to 97p
    3) Making 4 or 5 meals from same chicken
    4) Ordered fleece to make DD's Christmas pressie with
    5) Sold 2 more books on Amazon

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • smokybabe
    • By smokybabe 26th Aug 07, 7:08 PM
    • 2,438 Posts
    • 10,393 Thanks
    smokybabe
    1. Having a picnic lunch of chicken done overnight in a bbq sauce in the SC. With hm coleslaw followed by a fresh fruit salad.

2. Aquiring 4 lobsters, 6 edible crabs and a trigger fish on said picnic from our fisherman nephew.

3. Cooking the crab and lobsters, freezing the crab and 2 of the lobsters and the fish is in the fridge for tomorow.

4. Eating our free food with baked spuds, salad, hm coleslaw and a garlic mayo dip - HEAVEN.

5. Minimal clean tonight as the house was done from top to toe yesterday which leaves free time to dye my hair and generally pamper myself.
    If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape 100 days of sorrow.......Chinese proverb
    DFW No 172.
    • JillD
    • By JillD 26th Aug 07, 10:32 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    1. Lovely lie in with albeit fairly carppy library book
    2. Picnic at NT place this afternoon (we got NT passes for Xmas presents)
    3. Delish HM spag bol for tea with enough leftover to convert to chilli tomorrow
    4. Found $20 lying around in hubby's study (he is hopelss) going to exchange it and put towards Pin Money.
    5. Pin Money challenge that I signed up for this week going really well so far, inc the $20 have about 17.50, but chunk of 114 I owe our savings from where car tax refund just got frittered away

Jillx
    Jan GC: 202.65/450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: 0/0lbs

• chardonnay
    1. i used to be a regular on the daily thread, which i still feels serves a worthy community spirit
    2. i love this five things i have done thread
    married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09
    • fairy3
    • By fairy3 27th Aug 07, 8:11 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 4,474 Thanks
    fairy3
    1. Seeing all the 'heavy duty' jeans and hoodies washed and blowing on the line before 8am!

2. HM lasagne out of the freezer and into fridge to cook for tea

3. Large bag of clothes for charity shop sorted and waiting for collection tomorrow.

4. Prepared HM packed lunch for me as I am working today.

5. Free walk in park on this lovely morning with dog.

Right am off to work, have a good bank holiday all!

G
    x
    September Grocery Challenge - 57.87/150
  • Bambywamby
    Yesterday my 5 magic o/s moments were...

1) Picking the blackberries from the near by wood and making two low fat blackberry crumbles (totally organic and homemade.)
    2) Taking the dogs out for a walk in the early morning sunshine. Free and great exercise to kick start the metabolism for the day.
    3) Doing a white wash on 40 degrees and allowing the sun to bleach them naturally whiter as the items blew dry in the all day sunshine.
    4) Getting on my hands and knees and scrubbing the kitchen/utility/computer room floor (using star drops and scrubbing brush.) Took 30 minutes and I was more knackered than doing a 30 minute run on a treadmill. Great free exercise and my floors are gleaming.
    5) Reading by candle light last night rather than watching television.
    Last edited by Bambywamby; 27-08-2007 at 6:01 PM.
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • Hardup Hester
    1) washing drying on the line
    2) a neighbour getting my sound working on my pc in exchange for a plate of Twinks Hobnobs
    3) making Thai style chicken with leftovers from the fridge
    4) homemade crumble for pud with apples from a friend & blackberries from hedgerow
    5) 3 more sales on Amazon

• twink
    • By twink 27th Aug 07, 5:14 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    1) got toy dgs2 wanted for his birthday
    2) used vouchers i got for farmfoods
    3) had a nice walk round village and it didnt rain
    4) spoke to dil on msn from the Falklands, have to get her ovaltine and powdered choc drinks, its winter there
    5) had kyle over also spoke to ds1 on msn, he is on his own till dil comes home so will make more soup for his freezer

hope your neighbour enjoys the hobnobs Hester
    • JillD
    • By JillD 27th Aug 07, 10:38 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    Mine for today were:
    1. Washing out to dry in the sun
    2. HM pizza for lunch whats more hubby made it and froze a batch
    3. Put 1.80 of coupons in my purse ready for Asda
    4. Sent off 3 flora receipts to get my 5 Asda voucher
    5. Tidied my garden which was just sweeping etc and hubby cut grass and it looks fab

Hope everyone had a great bank holiday
    Jill

• Gingham Ribbon
    Watching my husband read out a recipe to his almost blind mother.
    Eating the results!
    Watching my son devouring my home made tattie scones with relish.
    Snuggling in bed breastfeeding my baby.
    Admiring my father in law's almost ready to pick corn cobs.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 28th Aug 07, 7:10 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Well thanks to Thriftlady for starting this, it has helped me (NOTE TO SELF THINK POSITIVE WOMAN!)
    So far already I have
    1. watched little DS devour a HM flapjack for breakfast (well it is like solid porridge sort of...)
    2. admired my front garden which hubby completely blitzed yesterday and magically it looks twice as big!
    3. I know whats for lunch - HM 'leftover' soup from rice, lentils and sweetcorn.
    4. I had an egg for breakfast from my chickens
    5. Load of washing done already in the old wrecked machine.
    THere. 5. I did it!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 28th Aug 07, 7:11 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Over the weekend:
    • When the small Penguins were at swim club, rather than paying to use the gym, going for a run along the riverbank with DH. By talking nicely to the Leisure Centre staff, managing to blag a hot shower afterwards
    • Seeing the beautiful card DD had made for our friends' wedding.
    • DS making his lunch by himself
    • Spending the whole weekend (4 days) with family and friends
    • Weeding my garden and finding this:

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 28th Aug 07, 8:20 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    well i am away staying with a friend at the seaside.
    my main 5 os pleasures for the past few days are major!!!

I HAVE LEARNED TO MAKE JAMS!! (and other stuff)

So my 5 are:

the amazing lemon cheese i have just had on my hm t cake

the gorgous mango chutney i had with my tea last night

the beautiful plum jam i have just had on my second t cake

the orange and ginger marmalade i will be having on tomorrows t cake

ooh and number 5, i have learned to fillet and skin a fish

looks like i will be joining the diet forum when i get back
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
  • Bambywamby
    Yesterday my 5 O/S pleasures were -

1) Making homemade butterbeans in tomato sauce on homemade garlic bread. (Really tasty but boy was I windy last night.)
    2) Been given a water filter as a thank you gift...woo hoo filtered water.
    3) Creating a free exercise circuit in my house and doing it for 30 minutes.
    Skipping rope in one room, tins as weights in another, CD player in bedroom to have a mad dance to, come down the stairs and small trampette in lounge, stretch band in kitchen and finally thick towel on computer room floor for stretching and crunches. Then I went in each room for two minutes at a time and had a play, jogging to each room in between. It was great fun and kept the dogs amused greatly.
    4) Using my DP teabags twice for his cups of tea and him not noticing.
    5) Listening to radio 4 as I cleaned the house rather than having the TV on as backround noise.

Have a fantabulous all you O/S bunnies.

Bams x.x.x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • jennybb
    Started last night:

1. Friends over for roast chicken etc. including HM lemon, sage and onion stuffing.

2. Blackberry and apple crumble made from foraged fruit.

3. Overnight stock from chicken brewing in SC.

4.Rowan and damson jellies lined up looking pretty.

5. Another batch of damson jelly bubbling in my wonderful brass and copper preserving pan picked up for 8 at a car boot yesterday
  • Hardup Hester
    1) Eating leftover Thai chicken made with Sundays leftover roast chicken
    2) Making Chichen Ham & Mushroom pie to tea tomorrow as my DGS is coming over tomorrow & so I'll be too wrecked to cook.
    3) Went for a canalside walk with hubby
    4)Made another sale on Amazon
    5) Explained square foot gardening to hubby, who is confused but willing

• Aril
    • By Aril 28th Aug 07, 6:14 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    Today's 5 old style treasures are:
    1. Having the idea of making blackberry and elderberry jam. Blackberries are picked and shall go out for elderberries on Friday when I'm off. Get some of those empty jars filled and in my new larder
    2.All seat and sofa covers washed and line dried
    3.Larder finished by OH today. We've used the huge hole left behind when the hot air heating unit was removed.
    4.The Dennis the Menace picture the small person did on the computer.It's so lovely that I've dug out a half priced frame I got from Wilkos and we've framed it and hung it in the hall.
    5.I've started to redecorate the bathroom. I'm always happy when I'm tweaking my house. Picked a pretty new colour in the 10% off day at Homebase!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
    • JillD
    • By JillD 28th Aug 07, 10:33 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    ok here's mine:

1. Reading Donna73's blog - its brilliant, the rag rugs are amazing, I can't wait to have a go at one !
    2. Lovely friend giving me plums and pears from trees in her garden
    3. Watching kids squeals of delight as they leapt around on friends daughters trampoline (also giggling with friend at my 4 year old DS who had whale of a time dressing up as Snow White to which friends 4 year old daughter said "you are a transvestite" ). Poor DS. hope he forgets that word!!!
    4. Sunday nights spag bol reincarnated as chilli for tea tonight by addition of smart price kidney beans and tortilla chips yum
    5. Eating HM bread for supper

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,733Users online

Martin's Twitter