Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 20th Aug 07, 8:02 PM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today
    • 20th Aug 07, 8:02 PM
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today 20th Aug 07 at 8:02 PM
    1) Seeing all my homemade preserves lined up on their shelf in the garage. They look as good as a stained glass window.

2) The smell of my laundry as I took it off the line, best smell in the world.

3) Taking a batch of muffins out of the oven.

4) Coming back from Tesco without any extras even though the kids were with me.

5) The appreciative words of thanks from my family as they finished their evening meal.

So come on, what are yours ?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 24-02-2009 at 8:56 PM.
Page 4
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 23rd Aug 07, 8:20 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    1. seeing 2 washing up bowls and 2 carrier bags full of damsons in the kitchen; picked yesterday evening as the sun was setting.
    2. Seeing my son helping my brother all day outside and then being rewarded with an impromptu game of cricket using a found tennis ball and the nearest piece of pipe.
    3. Eating up the last of yesterday's sausage casserole.
    4. Buying the ingredients for home made trifle (haven't made one for years)
    5. Cuddles and kisses from OH as we get one step closer to buying a house together.
    • JillD
    • By JillD 23rd Aug 07, 10:34 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    1. Playing football with kids on field in front of our house this morning
    2. Having all my antenatal (4 years on!) friends over to ours this afternoon
    3. A lovely kiss and cuddle from my DS(4) this morning when I was upset "Don't cry Mummy, come and sit on the sofa and watch Ice Age with us"
    4. HM potato wedges for tea - yum yum
    5. Lovely long bath tonight

Gosh look at the time must get to bed
    Jill
    Jan GC: 202.65/450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: 0/0lbs

• Nancy888
    • By Nancy888 24th Aug 07, 12:35 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    Nancy888
    1. Shopped for the week and everything in the trolley was a BOGOF or a reduced item
    2. Clothes outside to dry
    3. Meals planned for the next 4 weeks
    4. Fastened the hems up on DS2's school trousers
    5. Giving DS1 a HM birthday present this morning and hoping he wouldn't mind.... then watching his face lighting up and telling me 'You're the best'
    Anywhere is within walking distance - if you have the time!!

Sealed Pot Challenge - clunkin' away nicely
  • Hardup Hester
    My pleasures for today have been
    1) walking DGS to the lock to watch the boats going through
    2) walking DGS further along the river to feed the swans
    3) chasing DGS round a big field
    4) stopping at the park with DGS to find another 3 year old there & they played so well together.
    5) stripping & remaking the beds while DGS bounced on them & played hide & seek in the bedding, 'DGS saying these smell nice nana' about my line dried bedding.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • CountryWife
    1 Watching the weather turn very gradually from grey and wet to warm and dry, knowing that i should be able to do my washing at the weekend - I have about 4-5 loads

2 Sitting on my back doorstep grading shallots into a) big enough for cooking, b) tiny, for use in HM piccallili, and c) medium size for pickled onions

3 Peeling said shallots to soak in brine to make pickled onions over the weekend, not the most pleasant job, but well worth the effort

4 DH coming home for lunch with colleague, and cooking home grown bubble and squeak with home produced eggs

5 Knowing that my house is not only clean and tidy, but much more organised thanks to Flylady
  • CountryWife
    Woohoo, I've got a star now, how exciting!
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 24th Aug 07, 2:36 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,349 Thanks
    newlywed
    Todays:
    1. a hug from OH this morning
    2. My healthy salad with hm dressing (balsamic vinegar mustard and honey) - lovely and low fat too.
    3. Tea is already defrosting in the fridge
    4. Food is planned for our return from holiday
    5. Finding out there is a dishwasher in our holiday cabin for next week

DMP support thread (member #32)

• Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 24th Aug 07, 4:07 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    1. making blackberry jelly with berries from DH's (deceased) grandfather's garden!
    2. HM pizza for lunch, kids made theirs in weird shapes
    3. HM meatballs and pasta for tea
    4. sweeping my back garden nice and tidy
    5. my kids playing out on the pavement - quietly for once
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • vij
    1 - sending a box of kitchen bits I no longer need to someone who needs them.
    2 - cuddling up with my cats
    3 - seeing my next door neighbours little boy and her introducing me as the lady who took her to hospital
    4 - a little spend but getting my man his fave sweeties as a surprise 34p
    5 - cleaning and orgainising my desk at work (sad but Im looking forward to going in tomorrow to use it
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Well here are my 5 for today

1) getting hubbies uniform washed, out on the line and back in and folded again in under 2 hours

2) nipping to the loo and realising that whilst i was up there it would only take 5 minutes and a micro cloth to make it all lovely and gleaming again... and that included giving the window a going over-inside and out!!! not a whole morning and heaven knows how many chemicals -which was what i was like before finding this site

3) Hubby washing tea pots, drying, putting them away and then wipping around the kitchen and making sure everything is lovely n tidy...and all that without a word from me

4) Having a big pan of peas soaking ready to cook tommorrow... mmmm i could live on em

5) knowing that all my jobs are done for this week and i have no washing or anything to do so if i want to i can sit on my bum all weekend x stitching
    ooohhh and im gonna sneak a 6th one in .... having lost another 1.7kilo this week.... which im sure is down to a combination of cooking everything from scratch and doing more housework little n often.... beats the gym anyday
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Newgirl
    • By Newgirl 24th Aug 07, 7:28 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Newgirl
    Ooh... feel like I'm copying everyone else's but we must have all had a washing/homecooked/home grown day...

1. Home made yoghurt for breakfast and home made lunch taken to work

2. 3 washer loads all dried on the line, folded and ready to put away

3. Packed bags ready to go to in-laws for a weekend of free (to us) eating/showering etc

4. tied up own-grown tomatoes and eyed up all the little ones ready to ripen

5. Tea fully serviced from freezer supplied - result!

If I can throw in a bonus one.. came home for OH to tell me had done sinks with bicarb/vinegar without being prompted! Wow!

Newgirl
    • Topher
    • By Topher 24th Aug 07, 7:59 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    Topher
    1) Laying out to dry in the sun, a row of newspaper bricks made by D.S. and me yesterday. (With the log maker which I got as a Christmas present '06)

2) Posting my Co-op points cheque, (pre paid envelope from bank)

3) Freezing up the split pea soup in portions... it was made from leftover leftover (yes doubly leftover) casserole gravy and soaked peas.

4) Having the warm crust of the H.M. bread with my L.O.L.O. soup.

5) Curling up with the dog to read my three Gardening magazines, "Grow it Yourself" June, July & August £1 each from a local market. (The dog is rubbish at reading, but I enjoyed it)

Sad Innit? But it makes me happy
    T
    • JillD
    • By JillD 24th Aug 07, 9:18 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    1. DS (4) getting into bed with me for a cuddle first thing.
    2. Washing on line fof first time all week
    3. Packed lunches for lunch (obvioulsy) and everything was eaten, no waste
    4. Bargain bookshelves for 8 have tidied up messy corner of spare room
    5. Convincing hubby not to shell out for Sky Movies and watching a great documentary on BBC1 instead (sad but true).

Have nice weekends, I love this thread
    Jill
    Jan GC: 202.65/450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: 0/0lbs

• lil_me
    • By lil_me 24th Aug 07, 11:06 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    1. A hug (and a squeeze on the bum the cheeky sod ) from my partner when he popped in while at work tonight
    2. Seeing there are flowers on my alpine strawberries, I planted them all from seeds (I must give away some plants actually there must be over 100) my first 'winner' when it comes to growing my own
    3. Blackberry/Bramble picking with the boys (got a tub full just no idea what to do with them) my youngest is definately a natural born forager, he wasn't scared of being prickled or nettled.
    4. Line drying again loving it, got my washing basket empty!
    5. Visiting my fave farm shop butchers, looking at the steaks I bought thinking wow, why did I ever buy supermarket meat? Ordered 40 burgere for the BBQ next week to collect tomorrow aswell.

(Well done MRSMCAWBER)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Hardup Hester
    1) sending hubby off to work today with his packup & extra HM cake for the other guys, as they say their wives don't bake.
    2) hanging washing on the line in the sunshine.
    3) making debris soup, enough for lunch for me & 3 portions in the freezer.
    4) cutting up old tshirts into squares to make wipes for next DGS not due for 4 months.
    5) whizzing round the house with a microfibre cloth, so house is sparking for hubby to return to.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 25th Aug 07, 7:55 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Well, we're off to the Lakes for a week today so my 5 OS pleasures will be

1) Eating a lovely hm picnic lunch on the way.

2) Taking all the hm loaves I have in the freezer (we're self-catering) and then when we run out having my family moan about having to eat bought bread

3) Taking a huge bag of flapjacks, a jar of hm jam and a defrosting chli for tea tonight.

4) Reading The Tightwad Gazette and More With Less Cookbook while we're there -I always take these on holiday Got a huge stack of books actually as 5) there's no telly at the cottage we're staying in so plenty of opportunity for reading, conversation, board games, walking, birdwatching, star-gazing being quiet and other OS pastimes.

Have a lovely OS week everyone and don't forget those little things that make it so rewarding
  • daisyroots
    shiny sink, clean laundry, free deckchair, fish & chips, blackberries
    We are house sitting for our DD while she and family are on holiday. With one husband, two jobs and 3 children, she never seems to stop, so we're doing some sneaky stuff while she's away

1. a happy half hour listening to the radio and attacking kitchen sink with a bottle of Shiny Sinks. It has taken her years to build up that deep brown patina - will she ever forgive me ?:rolleyes:

2. the growing pile of clean laundry - we just keep emptying the laundry baskets, putting in another load, hanging it out and folding it. Not putting it away as not sure where she wants it. Will do some more ironing this evening

3. free deckchair - sat on the beach in a deckchair, waiting for the attendant. I had the 1 ready for him, but he never came and asked for it.

4. The freshest fish and chips ever - classic seaside experience

5. On the way home we saw some blackberries, and climbed dangerously high up the bank to get at them. We are far too old for this kind of thing!
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
  • floyd
    Only a few today,

1) Making a huge cauldron of broth using all the trimmings from my farmers market veg and a few dodgy carrots from under the stairs

2) Cleaning my washing machine with soda crystals to keep it sparkly

3) Buying some super-cheap smoked bacon ends from the farmers market to go in the freezer for when 'hearty stew' weather approaches

4) Roasting some rhubarb to go in the freezer for times when only a crumble will do
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hello again

well i was supposed to have a do nothing day...but got carried away with this old style way

Well my 5 for today:-

1) getting our bedding in the washer and out to dry (even though it wasnt due to be changed just yet )

2) running round with the vaccum, dusting and cleaning the windows and patio door - just because i felt like it and not because i had to.

3) making a loaf of bread and then having egg salad sandwiches for lunch

4) roasting a chicken, stripping it off and realising i have enough to do me n hubby a roast dinner tommorrow and 1 later in the week, a pasta salad and the carcass making stock - which has now become chicken n veg soup for tea + the freezer- using up all the not so healthy looking veg )

5) cooking my mushy peas from lastnight...and putting 2 pots of them in the freezer and knowing im getting the 3rd on my dinner tommorrow

Now hubby is off golfing at 7am tommorrow (must be mad).. so im gonna have a lie in, get up and have a long soak and then x stitch until he gets home for lunch....
    roast chicken
    roasties
    stuffing (made using some leftover bread )
    carrots, broccoli, cabbage - all stuck in the steamer n mushies mmm
    well i had better get off.... i really am going to get some x stitching done
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 25th Aug 07, 9:48 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    1. Line drying still happening, I have an empty laundry basket (unfortunately a smashed dish as I dropped it in by accident and wasn't cushioned by clothes )
    2. Back to the farm shop for BBQ order, my son looking at all the animals, he loves being up there.
    3. Getting boys to help tidy without a screaming tantrum, they went to bed ok too, maybe me being calmer helped ?
    4. Cooked breakfast/lunch (becoming regular on a Saturday) with produce from farm shop, those pork and chesnut sausages are soo lovely (even if I hate chesnuts!)
    5. Cooking and freezing the spuds about to turn which would have been flung in pre OS days

PS Daisyroots I want a Mam like you what a darling you are, I am sure your DD will apppreciate it.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

2,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin