Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 20th Aug 07, 8:02 PM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today
    • 20th Aug 07, 8:02 PM
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today 20th Aug 07 at 8:02 PM
    1) Seeing all my homemade preserves lined up on their shelf in the garage. They look as good as a stained glass window.

2) The smell of my laundry as I took it off the line, best smell in the world.

3) Taking a batch of muffins out of the oven.

4) Coming back from Tesco without any extras even though the kids were with me.

5) The appreciative words of thanks from my family as they finished their evening meal.

So come on, what are yours ?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 24-02-2009 at 8:56 PM.
Page 3
  • TNG
    Just eaten some toast made with 1. bread from the BM. Dinner tonight will be 2. HM and 3. Batch cooked and frozen Spag Bol made with 4. homegrown vegetables. Tomorrow's dinner will be made in the 5. SC

hmmmm - maybe a bit too much emphasis on food, there....
    There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood
  • daisyroots
    free travel, train ride, sunshine, flowers, clotted cream
    Today we got up early, ate and packed lightly and
    1. took bus and tube to Waterloo (freedom passes - cost = zero)
    2. took train to Devon where we're house-sitting for our daughter while she gets the ferry to France with her family
    3. as we headed west - the sun came out ! London was drizzly, Devon is sizzly.
    4. Son-in-law makes huge earthenware pots, and he has filled a dozen or so with brightly coloured annuals and put them all out in the front garden - first time I've seen this - they look gorgeous.
    5. DD has left a few goodies in the fridge, including clotted cream! What on EARTH am I going to do with that ?

None of this took any effort on my part, but we will give DD's house a bit of a clean and finish the laundry as they both work so hard, she has 2 jobs, 3 children and never seems to stop, so we'll enjoy working out way through that pile of ironing!
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 22nd Aug 07, 7:54 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    1, i stopped panicking that i had no bread for the kids packed lunches tomorrow and 'whipped up' a loaf

2,put remains of my sundried tomatoes into said loaf (have been wondering what to do with them)

3, had hm pizza for lunch and ds (5) said it was better that 'from the shop pizza'

4, got 2 loads of washing dry on the line

5, saved enough pizza to take for my lunch tomorrow

all in all, a good day off
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 22nd Aug 07, 7:55 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    ps, i think we should run this thread everyday, i love it

• rosy
    • By rosy 22nd Aug 07, 8:40 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    rosy
    1. Making home made ice cream and the custard thickened properly for once
    2. Making big batch of tomato sauce for pasta and freezing it in the tetrapaks the passata came in ( tip from here! )
    3. Finally cut DS1' s hair after promising I'd do it for days
    4. Have stuck to diet and calorie counted everything I've made from scratch & didn't give in to temptation to have a ready counted ready meal
    5. Like a lot of others getting the washing dry outside on a lovely day!

Thanks all for this thread esp Thriftlady. I have always had a big problem feeling guilty about not doing much paid work outside the home especially as DSs are in v late teens now, and was feeling particulary bad tonight about it - coming on here, reading the thread and posting this has made me feel tons better. Thanks all!
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 22nd Aug 07, 8:49 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    1. Making another batch of onion and chive bread rolls - and the house smelling yummy at the same time!

2. Using the oven to make jam tarts at the same time, and knowing exactly what went into them and that they cost pennies to make.

3. Looking at my mealplan for the rest of the month so never having that whats for tea panic.

4. Involving the kids in the baking sesson and seeing them tuck into what they "helped" make with real pride.

5. Watching the kids do the dishes after said baking session even if it meant mopping up the floor from their over enthusiastic scrubbing - lol!

This thread is lovely, especially when the kiddies are driving each other (and me crackers), it makes you go to bed thinking of all the positives.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 22nd Aug 07, 8:49 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    1. Saying no to expensive treats for the kids, offering to make some fruit salad with reduced price fruit instead, my son telling the lady in the shop that Mam makes the best fruit salad aww
    2. Cooking the steak DP requested, bought from the local farm shop which tasted fanbloomintastic got a 'lovely' and thumbs up from DP
    3. Washing dry outside, great isn't it
    4. Getting my partner to help clear the stairs and landing after yesterdays 'incident', him saying 'Vacuuming these stairs is very hard work isn't it, I do appreciate what you do' well I nearly passed out in shock firstly that he used the vacuum cleaner, second that he complimented me.
    5. Ok I've gone over budget this month, but realising it's the hols, I tried to reduce it again and it's the first time since December I have gone over, I am also still spending under half what I did the same time last year.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Hardup Hester
    Good morning
    My 5 for today started last night, lol.
    We have visitors staying and as a thank you they bought a KFC bucket home with coleslaw & beans that no-one wanted and there was one large piece of chicken left.
    1. Pulled some of the chicken off, chopped it up & mixed it with coleslaw to make sandwiches for hubby & visitors pack up
    2. Put rest of the chicken portion in the SC to make chicken soup for tea tonight.
    3. Making loaf in BM to go with soup tonight
    4. Used the beans for breakfast along with 2 eggs, poached on toast to give visitors a hearty breakfast as they are out all day. Visitors commented on how nice the beans were & asked what make they were!!
    5. Washing is drying on the line today.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 23rd Aug 07, 8:27 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    This was yesterday
    1) Made a batch of eggless brownies (recipe from here) -yum.

2) Used the brownies in the middle of the tin as a sort of ice cream sauce at tea -the middle was very gooey

3) Had lovely egg-fried rice made from leftovers for lunch. DD had ham instead of egg.

4) Made playdough for dd which went down well.

5) Made 4 loaves of bread -I do this at least once a week, but it always gives me a buzz when I take them out of the oven.
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 23rd Aug 07, 9:15 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 10,310 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    This was yesterday also......
    1. Made HM bread rolls
    2. Made HM Beef Burgers
    3. Made HM Chocolate Brownies
    4. Dried washing on line
    5. Fixed zip on my best suit trousers instead of throwing them away

Plans for today include 1. Make a loaf of bread 2. Make some pasta sauce to freeze 3. Make some broccoli and apple soup 4. Make some flapjacks 5. Finally teach myself to bl**dy purl (knitting) :rolleyes:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now )
  • TNG
    1. Made HM bread rolls

2. Made HM Beef Burgers
    Originally posted by stressedoutmumof1

I'll be doing that at the weekend and probably

3. Making some of twink's HM hobnobs
    There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood
    • Aril
    • By Aril 23rd Aug 07, 12:22 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    1. HM low fat turkey bake for tea made by OH. It's full of flavour and yummy.
    2. Having the small person asking "what's for tea?" and on being told it's the above replying "oh goody..it's home made"
    3. Ironing whilst watching HP and The Chamber of Secrets DVD picked up for the bargain rental price of 2 from the library [shall be multitasking then ]
    4.Writing up more recipes from Rose Elliot's Cheap and Easy into my OS recipe book
    5.Going to the library to see if I can find any of the OS books to order on the latest must have OS list from here!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there everyone, hope your all having a good day

Well my 5 would have to be.....

1) hubby leaving for work with his packed lunch....very happy man as it is homemade bread

2) waking up to no pots - as i now make sure everything in the kitchen is back in place before going to bed

3) getting out of bed to find hubby has put last nights load of washing on the airer in the cellar(we have a laundryroom down there...oohhh its great) and has then put a fresh pot of coffee on for when i got up

4) being able to sit x stitching - knowing that if anyone drops in the house looks like a new pin - for now...... im determined to keep on top of everything.... only been here 3 weeks so its a nice clean slate

5) having my shopping list ready for when hubby gets in from work so we can get off and get it done....im doing a challenge with dbelle - 80euro to feed me n hubby for a month ..... just to see if i can do it .. if so then when i get this months housekeeping next week i can save it all

Well i had better let you all get on... have a good one
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • JoeyEmma
    • By JoeyEmma 23rd Aug 07, 2:19 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    JoeyEmma
    1. Picking LOADS of blackberries first thing in the morning, with hot sun on my back and dew on my toes.
    2. Using blackberries to make a batch of jam
    3. Using blackberries to make Nigella's blackberry and apple kuchen (can't wait to have a cup of tea and a slice)

That is it so far today!
    • taplady
    • By taplady 23rd Aug 07, 2:56 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    1. picking runner beans from the garden for tea.
    2. washing drying on the line.
    3. shopping with a list and apart from a few bogofs sticking to it!
    4. eating homegrown cherry toms with my lunch
    5. checking on our first ever home grown butternut squash - nearly ready for picking!
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
  • debtfreehopeful
    1) a house i can invite people into happily with only a minimum of clutter hiding!

2) not wasting the old veg that was reaching its peak but instead putting it in a soup which is currently making my house smell lovely

3) cooking from scratch meaning that the baby can eat most of what we do and we very rarely need jars etc

4)instead of putting my heating on (which costs a fortune) putting the TD on to dry the washing and heat the house (does that count as os? 2 jobs into 1?)

5)watching my 2 year old put her apron on and say what jobs next mummy
  • anniebooklover
    1. Watering tomato plants and pumpkin plants and planning what I will cook with them.
    2. Making a spicy plum sauce with the plums that were ready to run out the door as DS has suddenly "gone off" them. :rolleyes:
    3. Watching the washing blowing on the line in the afternoon sun, knowing that I will relish the smell and feel of climbing into a freshly laundered bed tonight.
    4. Cleaning my "outside" bin as it has been bugging me for weeks but this is the first opportunity I have had to make it *fragrant* again. (I also smiled smugly to myself as I noticed that at least 2 people in my street had paid to have this done today.)
    5. Having a very cheap day (spend-wise) but thoroughly enjoying DS and DD's company. They really know how to make me laugh.

It's pay day tomorrow. I wonder what 5 things I will come across tomorrow? :confused:
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 23rd Aug 07, 6:30 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    1. Going for a walk with the littles looking for blackberries (not ripe here yet), it involved wellies and waterproof all in ones but lovely to have the place to ourselves.

2. Making a sauce with the handful of berries the girls managed to pick.

3. Making HM rice pudding - very yummy! and watching girls pour the blackberry sauce they picked and made on it and eat it up.

4. Not spending one single penny but having a really lovely day with the girls (no shouting at all by me or them - first day for a long time)

5. Knowing that although the food budget has been spent I have more than enough food in to last till the end of the month and that we will enjoy all the HM baking goodies we make over the next week and a bit!

This thread really does make me feel thankfull!
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 23rd Aug 07, 7:33 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    1, yet another day of clothes drying on the line

2, a collegue asking where i had bought that 'lovely looking sundried tomato bread' and being suitably impressed when told it was hm.

3, throw it together, made up as i go along pork chop marinade was delicious.

4, the kitchen floor is clean

5, tomorrows lunch and dinner is in the fridge

how did i ever manage being the most un-os person ever :confused:

loveit loveit loveit

• Twig
    Stefejb,

You wrote:

4. taking bread out of the fridge in the morning to bake - that smell wakes me up while i'm getting ready

I have been looking for a way of getting fresh bread for breakfast without a breadmaker. How do you do it? could you let me have the recipe please

Twig
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,192Posts Today

7,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin