PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help with Renting Costs?

Hi,

New here.

I am in a bad situation whereby I (ideally) need to rent a new home.
Sadly things have broken down with my current partner and I need to move out. We have two children both in their teens.
Again, sadly, I have very little savings (less than £500) so do not have any money to put towards a bond, first months' rent or any furniture.
Also to note, that I cannot get a loan at present due to poor credit :(

Is there a way that I could get funds/help with this?

Any advice or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Apply for housing benefit or UC and run benefit calculators on gov.uk to find what you're entitled to.

Register with council for housing register to get on housing waiting list.

What is your employment status please?

Is there a tenancy on current home, if do in what name(s) please?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have a look at the Shelter website, they have advice for people in your situation.

How old are you? It is usually easier to get an over 55s HA property, but this would be just for you as most of them are 1 bedroomed. They may not ask for a deposit or get you referenced either.

Bigger charities have shops that have furniture for sale at fairly low prices, there is one near us that has an old Art Deco cinema full of very high quality furniture.

Have a look at Freecycle, they have lots of furniture but you will have to arrange your own collection. You can find a Freecycle local to you as well. In our part of of the world the items go very quickly but you can post an “items wanted” ad as well. An example I posted for large pots wanted for the garden and got about 6 replies. :T. All items on Freecycle are given away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure