Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 20th Jul 19, 7:48 AM
    • 8,812Posts
    • 31,128Thanks
    Primrose
    Coping with daily wardrobe & clothes changes
    • 20th Jul 19, 7:48 AM
    Coping with daily wardrobe & clothes changes 20th Jul 19 at 7:48 AM
    I was looking around our bedroom strewn with clothes from the last few days & wondering how I can better organise myself.

With the changing weather I might wear something different, ie warmer or cooler, and temporarily discard the previous day's shorts, trousers, tops etc. Although not dirty enough to require washing yet, I don't really want to out them back in the wardrobe and "forget" that they may not be pristine fresh and unworn for its next appearance . The result can be that I have several different changes of clothing untidily lying around.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, do you have an organised system for dealing with it? It seems so wasteful of water and electricity to throw everything into the wash after only one wear when it's not grubby just to keep the bedroom looking tidy.
Page 1
    • Brambleberry
    • By Brambleberry 20th Jul 19, 8:01 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Brambleberry
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:01 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:01 AM
    Watching this post with interest - I use the "The Chair" method, with limited success hope I can learn something more useful!
    Mortgage Free Oct 2018
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet.
    • Grouchy
    • By Grouchy 20th Jul 19, 8:10 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    Grouchy
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:10 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:10 AM
    I use one end of a wardrobe (I actually have a wardrobe which has a smaller hanging section and use that, but a full width wardrobe could be adapted), and things are re-hung for another wear. Nothing really dirty gets put in there. In a previous arrangement I separated it from the fresh hung clothing with a suit bag (not sure what they are called) on a hanger. Keeps the once worn completely away from the fresh, but also serves to remind what can be worn again.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 20th Jul 19, 8:11 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 24,332 Thanks
    Siebrie
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:11 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:11 AM
    My wardrobe only holds clean clothes. Any clothes that have been worn, but are not yet dirty enough to wash, are hung on a coat rack I have put up on the wall (where the door opens, so it is hidden by the door) for this purpose. I make sure to wear those clothes again within the week.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles Ä 805,75 = £ 356.30
    Wombling to wealth 2018 Ä 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 Ä 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 Ä 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 20th Jul 19, 8:21 AM
    • 31,371 Posts
    • 80,509 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:21 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:21 AM
    Turn the worn clothes inside out before hanging them up in the wardrobe.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jul 19, 8:24 AM
    • 66,721 Posts
    • 391,634 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:24 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:24 AM
    You could use coloured pegs.

One colour for "worn once"
    Another for "worn twice"
    And so on..... up to a colour for "who cares, worn lots of times, think I can still get away with it"

OR - a peg clipped on for "washed/not worn this yet" so you're tracking only CLEAN clothes and know the others have been worn at least once.
    • Chop-D
    • By Chop-D 20th Jul 19, 8:40 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Chop-D
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:40 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:40 AM
    We have low storage boxes that we slide under the bed that we keep half dirty clothes in, this seems to work well if you have the space under the bed available!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 20th Jul 19, 9:26 AM
    • 26,397 Posts
    • 69,660 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 20th Jul 19, 9:26 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 9:26 AM
    I wouldn't worry. You surely don't wash or dry clean winter clothes each time they're worn.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 20th Jul 19, 10:27 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 25,955 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 20th Jul 19, 10:27 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 10:27 AM
    In my view, clothes either clean or dirty.

If they’re dirty then they go in the bag which I use for dirty washing, if they’re clean enough to wear again then I’ll just hang them up with everything else. As PollyPenny says, in winter you don’t wash things every time.

I’m consciously trying to wash things less for ecological reasons. If it hasn’t got dinner spilled down it and hasn’t been worn on a boiling hot day, back in the wardrobe.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Simby
    • By Simby 20th Jul 19, 10:39 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Simby
    Wear once wash once is my motto.. if I put something on and wear it I wash it

Only few exceptions coats .. dry clean or wash depending on material once a month.

Hats scarfs once a week wash

Leather gloves discard after 3 months
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 20th Jul 19, 11:09 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    In theory I reckon if itís clean enough to wear again, itís clean enough to go in the cupboard / wardrobe with the other clean clothes.

In practice of course most of my clothes are strewn all over my floor in various states of cleanliness...
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Jul 19, 11:18 AM
    • 20,257 Posts
    • 120,731 Thanks
    maman
    You're in very good company by not washing clothes after a single wear!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/07/stella-mccartney-dont-wash-clothes-just-brush-dirt/
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 20th Jul 19, 11:38 AM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 13,475 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    I use the "The Chair" method
    Originally posted by Brambleberry
    So do I and as I do a lot of house/pet sitting for friends, I can tell you that many other people do the same.

If the used items are folded neatly and stacked neatly on the seat of the chair, they are not unsightly and don't convey that sense of 'slattern' that Liz Taylor's "everything hung up on the floor" so suggests.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 20th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 8,275 Thanks
    splishsplash
    In this heat and humidity, I think anything in contact with skin for a couple of hours is due a wash.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 20th Jul 19, 11:49 AM
    • 4,548 Posts
    • 7,259 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I am relieved to know that I am not the only person to adopt the chair method.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 20th Jul 19, 2:15 PM
    • 9,870 Posts
    • 12,196 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I have an external rail between the end of the run of wardrobes and the wall.

It fills the gap and is a useful place for clothes-in-use, clothes-to-be-ironed, and clothes-ironed-to-wear-later.

The shoe rack is at the bottom too.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 20th Jul 19, 2:25 PM
    • 26,397 Posts
    • 69,660 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Wear once wash once is my motto.. if I put something on and wear it I wash it

Only few exceptions coats .. dry clean or wash depending on material once a month.

Hats scarfs once a week wash

Leather gloves discard after 3 months
    Originally posted by Simby

Good lord!

Are you very sweaty?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 20th Jul 19, 2:28 PM
    • 20,549 Posts
    • 34,343 Thanks
    Spendless
    What about different coloured coat hangers?

Not bought for the reason you mention but I've recently bought some rose gold coloured coat-hangers from pound-stretcher. Think they did silver coloured too. They were £1.99, without checking this was either for 6 or 8. I actually bought them in an attempt to get teen to hang things up.
    • MoneySeeker1
    • By MoneySeeker1 20th Jul 19, 4:24 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    MoneySeeker1
    Picking up ideas here.

Admits to floordrobe sometimes or placed on a chest.

A more successful method is that some of my clothes are on a freestanding wardrobe rail and I pull out the top section and put lightly-worn clothes on there.

Think I might adopt the idea of a differing way of hanging clothes on their hangers and that could be most useful to me, as I like to hang my clothes by type and then sub-divided by colour (so it goes something like jumpers, then long-sleeve teeshirts, then short-sleeve teeshirts, then sleeveless teeshirts and so on). That way I could keep my categories for ease of finding clothes, and have the lightly-worn items in their correct category place.

Having put quite a bit of effort into rationalising my wardrobe and now got a good capsule wardrobe and pretty much everything goes with pretty much everything else that seems my best bet to make for "easy dressing".
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 20th Jul 19, 6:48 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 4,893 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    I only out clean washed things in the wardrobe. Once worn clothes will have unseen dirt bugs etc which will then rub off on clean things and make them musty. My mother thinks I'm mad and I'm sure some on here will.

I either use the chair , the bedpost or hang things on a hanger on the outside of the wardrobe.

I would love to have the space for a separate rail to hang things on, brilliant idea but we have tiny rooms in this house !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,492Users online

Martin's Twitter