Holiday worries

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2019 at 8:20PM
    As has been said, Italy isn't a cheap destination for most things, specially food and drink. If things are that tight I wouldn't go.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I’m not sure I understand this.

Did mum gift you tickets to Milan for specific dates, or a voucher? How long for if not a voucher?

Why Milan? Did mum discuss the logistics with you.

Sounds a bit odd to me, I’m not sure what to think.

But whatever the ins and outs I’m afraid in your circumstances I would not go.

I’d sneak off somewhere affordable in UK for the same timespan if that’s where you live and enjoy it! Unless you can get a refund for the tickets which is very rare nowadays.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You need to be honest with your Mum about your new financial circumstances. Presumably when she first bought them, you could have afforded the holiday?

The key thing about being able to cope in the situation you find yourself in, is staying in control. Currently you're not in control - you're feeling you 'ought' to go to Milan, that's only going to end in tears.

If your kids are young, they won't care where they go on holiday - a day on the beach will feel like a holiday. If they're older, then it won't do them any harm to know that we can't always do what we want to do just because we want to do it. Seeing how you cope ('we can't afford to go away this year but we're going to save up for next year') will teach them a valuable life lesson.

Don't sell stuff just to go on holiday - you still won't enjoy the holiday, and you won't have the stuff either.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree with everyone else. It seems that for a week or two of holiday, it is going to end up with you selling stuff

This is really not worth it (priorities)
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Doodles
    Doodles Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Another vote here for not going.

You simply cannot afford it at this time. Explain to mum what's happened and hopefully she can get a refund on the tickets.

Think with your head and not your heart for this situation.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    And another vote for not going from me.

The OP doesn't say how long this holiday is for but even if booking on airbnb, I can see it being something approaching £500 for a week.

The OP doesn't mention spending money.
    That will be a bigger headache than paying for accommodation if it's not already sorted for 2 adults and (at least) 2 children.

And possibly the cost of getting to the airport and back home again - if that's not already sorted.

I agree with other posters that Milan seems an odd choice.

Again, I'm with other posters with the suggestion of telling Mum that her kind offer has put you in a very awkward financial position.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you can't afford it, don't go.
    Nice idea from your mum, but not very practical if it leaves you struggling to pay for the rest of the holiday.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2019 at 1:52PM
    It's a nice gift but pointless if your selling stuff to pay for the accommodation, as suggested speak to your mum, just explain what you've said on here, I'm sure she will understand, who are the flights with , some airlines may be more accommodating with moving them to a more suitable time/location.

What length of time of time are the flights for or is it a week eg Monday to Sunday ?

Airbnb might be an option for accommodation.

Any chance of extra hours at work to help with the accommodation ?
  • HurdyGurdy
    HurdyGurdy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not an ideal solution, and maybe too late to consider now anyway, but are there any places that do home swaps, so you let a family in/near Milan come and stay in your home, whilst you go and stay in theirs?

I think, given the circumstances you've outlined, I'd go with the majority of the responses above, and be open with your mum and say that whilst you really appreciate the gift of flights, you really can't make use of them, and can't go on this occasion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure