Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 19th Jul 19, 6:12 AM
    • 274Posts
    • 164Thanks
    wazza99
    Moving from BT to Virgin
    • 19th Jul 19, 6:12 AM
    Moving from BT to Virgin 19th Jul 19 at 6:12 AM
    Hi, never had cable before but our area has just been "cabled".

Taken 108meg fibre and phone from Virgin for 18.75, installation is 6th August my BT contract expired 18/7/19. I thought Virgin would contact BT but they say no i do that.

Should i ring BT now and advise cease BB and phone line from 06/08/19, or wait until Virgin is up and running ?

Ps i work from home and although i could tether to 4g i'd rather not be without. BB
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 19th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 5,763 Posts
    • 13,317 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    Transfers between providers on "BT" infrastructure are gaining provider led so the new provider tells the old one and you don't have to.

Virgin have their own infrastructure so you can keep the BT connection if you want to, VM don't cancel it on your behalf. Therefore if you want it cancelled you have to do it yourself.

Only you can judge if it's worth gambling on being without broadband to save a few quid on reducing the amount of overlap.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • spyhunter
    • By spyhunter 19th Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    spyhunter
    • 19th Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    If you are keeping your BT number and porting it over to Virgin the BT line and broadband will cease automatically. No need to contact BT.

If your taking a new Virgin number or you are not having a phone line at all you will have to call BT to cancel .
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 19th Jul 19, 3:52 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    pphillips
    • 19th Jul 19, 3:52 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 3:52 PM
    I've just done what you're planning to do but in reverse, I cancelled virgin media and then arranged the BT installation for as near to the cancellation date as possible. Turns out BT were very flexible so my BT services were up and running the day before virgin media ends.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,776Posts Today

5,447Users online

Martin's Twitter