Employer refused to waive notice period; repercussions of simply quitting?

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I’d likely also make a phone call to the new employer to try to stop them taking someone on who was not to be trusted.

Where does it end? Ex employee then "trashes" the business (previous employer) over social media to try and prevent custom.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The reality is that the current employer probably needs to be a little pragmatic. It is all well and good holding an employee to a three-month notice period but do you really want someone working for you in the mindset that the OP has. There is a certain amount of risk that comes with that - particularly if they are in a sensitive role.

For me personally, I would rather come to a compromise with the employee so that the departure is as amicable as it can be. However, if someone just walks without any discussion I might be prompted to inform the new employer that the employee, although not turning up for work, is contracted to me until xxx date and that you are making them aware in order to prevent any potential contractual conflict of interest.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 July 2019 at 3:28PM
    rebeaky wrote: »

I am aware they may try to seek legal recourse but what I am specifically interested in, is the repercussions for starting my new job. My references have already been supplied and will not change so I am not concerned about that, however, if I simply 'quit' my current job would they be able to contact my new employer and inform them of this? Can my job offer be withdrawn? (I have not signed a contract as yet).

Yes, the new employer can withdraw the job offer. (and if you had signed a contract, they could dismiss you)

Whether they *would* is a diferent question. I think most employers would see it as a red flag - if you do it to your old employer, what's to say you won't do the same to the new one?
    As an employer, if I leanred this about a new employee it would certainly cause concerns - again, local knowledge makes a difference here - if your old employer has a reputation for treating staff badly then I would still not be overly impressed at your actions, but might be willing to still give you a chance. If not, it would depend on what my overall impressions of you were and how easy the role was to fill, whether I was still prepared to tak the risk. (I personally would not just pull the offer, I would aim to speak to you to find out whether waht I had heard was correct and what if any justofication you had, but it would be a red flag)

There would be nothing to stop the old employer contacting the new one, to revise their reference or to inform tham that you had walked out. Most emploers would not do this, but it may depend - for instance, if you are staying in a simialr locality and the same industry, people do know one another and do talk, so the information might get to your new employer even if the old employer isn't contacting them specifically to tell them.
    I was considering contacting my new employer and trying to explain the situation delicately, would this be a good/bad idea?

Probably bad. Telling them that you are breaching your current employment contract and walking out on your employer isn't likely to look good.
    The only exception would be if you think your curent mployers will definitely contact the new one, then it may make sense to give your explnation first.

For future job moves, bear in mind that just because a new employee would like you to start earlier, they will (if they are in any way reasonable) understand that you have committmnents under your exisiting contract, so saying "My notice period is 3 months so I would be available from September" is a perfectly reasonable response and if they want you, they will accommodate that.

If they refuse, or demand that you leave early, then think hard about whether you want to work for an organisation which has that attitude - it will probably spill over into how they behave to their employees, too.
    If, for example, I was to work until the day before my new job was supposed to start and then just quit am I still technically employed by them and committing any fraud?

No. You would be in breach of contract, but it would only be fraud if you were (for instance) claiming to be too ill to work while working elsewhere.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • JReacher1 wrote: »
    That would be an incredibly spiteful and vindictive thing to do!

So is not abiding by your contract because you don't want to.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Bear in mind that the new company could be imposing this start date on OP with no flexibility to it?

Has that been ruled out?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the reason for the three month notice period, rather than the more usual one month, is that you could poach clients or similar then I think you really need to explain to your new employer that you cannot start until you have served the required notice. The notice required does form part of your contract, after all, and you would breach it by not abiding by what you agreed to when you started your current job.

Surely, if your new employer really wants you, they will wait? If not, as already mentioned, they probably have no respect for the right way of doing things and will treat their employees accordingly.
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Every interview I've attended, I've always been asked when I could start, in regards to required notice period at current job - was this not done?
    Is the new job not able to wait until your current notice period is up? Do you have any holiday left to use?
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    So is not abiding by your contract because you don't want to.

I don’t agree.

It’s undoubtedly selfish and shows a lack of respect but I don’t think it is either spiteful or vindictive to leave a job early for a better opportunity.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    3 months is a horrendous notice period. What kind of job is it? Most jobs usually want people to start within a month or two at most.

Someone's mentioned this before, do you have any holiday left? You can use that in some of your notice period.

I very much doubt any new employer will care if you leave before your 3 month notice period is up, if you left them and gave them a week's notice that may be different. Especially if your line manager agrees it's the right thing to do.
  • I don’t think three months is at all unusual. All my staff have a three month notice period, and I and those senior have a six month notice period
    Mortgage £75,300 (December 2016) Mortgage Free Date December 2051

Mortgage £11,500 (March 2023) Mortgage Free Date August 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family