Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LoNa
    • By LoNa 18th Jul 19, 4:37 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LoNa
    NatWest Credit Card Block Not Returned
    • 18th Jul 19, 4:37 PM
    NatWest Credit Card Block Not Returned 18th Jul 19 at 4:37 PM
    Hope I'm in the right place

Long story short - rented a car in Sri Lanka (through Car Flexi) in April. As per, 500 blocked off of NatWest credit card as deposit. Car returned in same condition and deposit due to be refunded within 14 days - happy days. Fast forward 3+ months and a bazillion emails later, and the 500 is still not back on the card. The car rental company says they have returned it (actually, they never took it, just blocked the amount).

Here's where it gets weird... There is no record of the transaction in the account, although the balance did miraculously reduce by 500 and never go back up... NatWest say 'that this is not uncommon' and if they can't get to the bottom of it they will refund 50%.
    1) I'd quite like the full amount back
    2) How can they have no record of the transaction?! How can money just disappear like that?

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? And if so, is there any solution where my money isn't lost to the NatWest ether forever?

TIA
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th Jul 19, 4:49 PM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 10,044 Thanks
    waamo
    • 18th Jul 19, 4:49 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 4:49 PM
    From your description it doesn't sound as though this money actually exists. It sounds like you don't have to pay it back. Is that correct?

If so it isn't really your money. It's a credit limit on the card. From your description it seems it's merely had the effect of reducing your credit limit by €500 and you haven't lost any real money.

Unless I'm reading it wrong that is.
    This space for hire.
    • preable
    • By preable 18th Jul 19, 5:03 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    preable
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:03 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:03 PM
    From your description it doesn't sound as though this money actually exists. It sounds like you don't have to pay it back. Is that correct?

If so it isn't really your money. It's a credit limit on the card. From your description it seems it's merely had the effect of reducing your credit limit by €500 and you haven't lost any real money.

Unless I'm reading it wrong that is.
    Originally posted by waamo
    If I read it right I think they paid a deposit which is returnable when they bring the car back and should of gone back to the credit card once the inspection of the car was done. They take the deposit so if they damage the car they can deduct it from the deposit... but in this case there was no damage so the deposit should be returned?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th Jul 19, 5:07 PM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 10,044 Thanks
    waamo
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:07 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:07 PM
    If I read it right I think they paid a deposit which is returnable when they bring the car back and should of gone back to the credit card once the inspection of the car was done. They take the deposit so if they damage the car they can deduct it from the deposit... but in this case there was no damage so the deposit should be returned?
    Originally posted by preable
    It's the bit in brackets that makes me think it's not real money where the op says

(actually, they never took it, just blocked the amount).
    This space for hire.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 18th Jul 19, 5:12 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:12 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:12 PM
    So that sounds like a pre-approval where they basically check that the card is good for the company to be able to to take 500 if necessary. Normally this temporarily reduces the available limit, so it sounds like this hasn't reset. Doesn't sound like any actual charge has been taken
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 18th Jul 19, 5:14 PM
    • 6,873 Posts
    • 5,151 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:14 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:14 PM
    from 1st post As per, €500 blocked off of NatWest credit card as deposit.

(actually, they never took it, just blocked the amount). - a pre authorisation.

So there is nothing to return they need to release the pre authorised amount.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 18th Jul 19, 8:14 PM
    • 13,745 Posts
    • 11,081 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:14 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:14 PM
    As above, the funds were ringfenced but not debited. It should still show on your balance, just not available balance.

These normally fall off after a set amount of time but sometimes "hang". In those circumstances, usually a fax from the retailer in question to the bank saying they're not going to be debiting the funds will see the funds released for use again.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • LoNa
    • By LoNa 19th Jul 19, 3:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LoNa
    • 19th Jul 19, 3:58 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 3:58 AM
    Thanks for the replies. As I understand it, the money was ringfenced (which is when the available balance reduced but money wasn't actually taken from the card, just blocked from being used, apparently). But then it has never been reset/returned. Basically the available balance is still minus 500 from where it was.

The part that is really strange is that NatWest have no record of any kind of transaction, ring fence or anything at all. That is strange enough, but NatWest have said this is not uncommon and will refund 50%! I just can't understand how money can leave an account (or just sort of disappear) and the bank have no trace of it whatsoever. I have never heard of anything like this before and I'm not sure what to do.
    • photome
    • By photome 19th Jul 19, 6:04 AM
    • 14,107 Posts
    • 9,620 Thanks
    photome
    • 19th Jul 19, 6:04 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 6:04 AM
    Thanks for the replies. As I understand it, the money was ringfenced (which is when the available balance reduced but money wasn't actually taken from the card, just blocked from being used, apparently). But then it has never been reset/returned. Basically the available balance is still minus 500 from where it was.

The part that is really strange is that NatWest have no record of any kind of transaction, ring fence or anything at all. That is strange enough, but NatWest have said this is not uncommon and will refund 50%! I just can't understand how money can leave an account (or just sort of disappear) and the bank have no trace of it whatsoever. I have never heard of anything like this before and I'm not sure what to do.
    Originally posted by LoNa

I am not sure why nat west would refund anything as no money has been taken , as others have said it looks like its just your limit has been reduced by 500
    • Angus Og
    • By Angus Og 19th Jul 19, 6:38 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Angus Og
    You need to go back to your statement prior to the trip and go through it line by line, transaction by transaction and work forward.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 19th Jul 19, 7:07 AM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 10,044 Thanks
    waamo
    Ask them to increase your credit limit if it's an issue.
    This space for hire.
    • prettywowers
    • By prettywowers 19th Jul 19, 11:09 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    prettywowers
    Why would the give you half back if no real money has been taken?

Something's missing from this story.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

6,656Users online

Martin's Twitter